The Student Room Group

A level options

Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and am required to apply for my sixth form with my A-Level choices. I am quite lost concerning which subjects to take ( I know I will do maths, biology and chemistry ) but I would like to study four options, with the aim to study either law, mathematics/economics or medicine at university. My other options are between German and History. Which of these would most recommended for the law course ( I understand that for law, unis do not require any specific subjects)? And are these options a good mix?
Thanks !
Reply 1
Sorry other options are further maths, physics, economics or psychology. 😉
definitely history! it’s a very respectable a level and requires you to think in many different ways which would help you in the future
Reply 3
Original post by victoria021
definitely history! it’s a very respectable a level and requires you to think in many different ways which would help you in the future

Thank you !
Yes, studying law involves essays, so your application would be a lot stronger with an essay subject. Definitely history,
Hi there. For law an essay subject is good, such as History. You can do economics at degree level without the A level, but it would help, so if this is your likely route I would consider this. Finally, if you were aiming at a top uni for economics such as LSE, then FM would be highly desirable. The other factor of course is to pick what you are good at and enjoy.
Reply 6
Original post by VirgoStrain
If you want to keep options open for those routes, pick Maths, biology, chemistry and history. If you can handle a 5th do German.

Thank you! I will possibly consider this
Reply 7
Thank you for your advice
Original post by Mancmike300
Hi there. For law an essay subject is good, such as History. You can do economics at degree level without the A level, but it would help, so if this is your likely route I would consider this. Finally, if you were aiming at a top uni for economics such as LSE, then FM would be highly desirable. The other factor of course is to pick what you are good at and enjoy.
Reply 8
Original post by LeapingLucy
Yes, studying law involves essays, so your application would be a lot stronger with an essay subject. Definitely history,

Many thanks !
if you're tending more towards maths/econ, I'd recommend fm. The combination will also keep the medicine path open, but I'm not sure how acceptable of a combination it would be for law.
Reply 10
Original post by _gcx
if you're tending more towards maths/econ, I'd recommend fm. The combination will also keep the medicine path open, but I'm not sure how acceptable of a combination it would be for law.

Yes I think I a man more inclined to go for these options. Thanks !
Reply 11
How interested are you in Maths/Economics? If you want you can do Maths/Economics/Medicine and then do a Law conversion course. And in that case I'd recommend Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology if you won't go directly into law.

Yes those areas do interest me and I enjoy maths. I think I am more likely to have a career in that area , such as accurist, more than in law. Do you think that the conversion course would be the only option for me if I didn't choose this eventually?
Reply 12
You don’t need anything specific for Law, so don’t bother looking for subjects to take just for it. Maths, FM, chem and bio will be fine, as it means you focus on the areas you like, and keep law open anyway.

Yes thank you

Quick Reply

Latest