The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Have I chose the right universities?

I have been predicted A*A*A at A levels however I have only applied to universities A*AA and below. The only 'top' university I applied to was UCL but I highly doubt I'll go there if I get a place because even the thought of living in London gives me anxiety. I have my heart set mainly on Birmingham which I'm hoping to get an unconditional offer from. Do you think it is a waste of ability if I don't apply for the most prestigious universities? and will it lower my job prospects or make it harder for me to do a PHD?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by serenh17
I have been predicted A*A*A at A levels however I have only applied to universities A*AA and below. The only 'top' university I applied to was UCL but I highly doubt I'll go there if I get a place because even the thought of living in London gives me anxiety. I have my heart set mainly on Birmingham which I'm hoping to get an unconditional offer from. Do you think it is a waste of ability if I don't apply for the most prestigious universities? and will it lower my job prospects or make it harder for me to do a PHD?

Yeah I think it is a waste of ability. And yeah it may lower your job prospects, cant comment on PhD though.

Ultimately go to a place where you're happy at. Birmingham may be good but if theyre giving unconditionals then maybe its below your league and youll be underwhelmed and disappointed as you find it too easy. Something to think about.

What course are you applying for?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by itsfantanoooo
Yeah I think it is a waste of ability. And yeah it may lower your job prospects, cant comment on PhD though.

Ultimately go to a place where you're happy at. Birmingham may be good but if theyre giving unconditionals then maybe its below your league and youll be underwhelmed and disappointed as you find it too easy. Something to think about.

What course are you applying for?

Thanks for the advice! I'm applied for natural sciences at 4 and chemical engineering at 1.

I disagree it's a waste of ability. Getting a first from any university is incredible. Sure, it would look more prestigious if you studied at a top top university - But being happy is more important.
Employers really don't care that much about where you went. Oxbridge has its reputation and some unis have good links with certain employers but aside from that don't get caught up on "prestige".
Thanks for the advice! I'm applied for natural sciences at 4 and chemical engineering at 1.

Damn well consider this, your grades are good enough for cambridge and you're considering birmingham that are desperate and gives out unconditionals then yeah, i'd seriously reevaluate your decision. Because that's 2 years work for nothing
Original post by FloralHybrid
I disagree it's a waste of ability. Getting a first from any university is incredible. Sure, it would look more prestigious if you studied at a top top university - But being happy is more important.

Original post by Student-95
Employers really don't care that much about where you went. Oxbridge has its reputation and some unis have good links with certain employers but aside from that don't get caught up on "prestige".

Listen to these guys. Choose somewhere where you will be happy, not worried or nervous just because of it's rankings.
Reply 7
definitely put durham as one of the options
Damn well consider this, your grades are good enough for cambridge and you're considering birmingham that are desperate and gives out unconditionals then yeah, i'd seriously reevaluate your decision. Because that's 2 years work for nothing

For nothing? What? He could get a first in his degree and do a masters at Cambridge if he really wanted. Employers aren't that fussed on where your degree is from.
Reply 9
A similar thing happened to me. I wanted to play it safe (but played it too safe) so ended up declining all 5 uni choices because I knew I could do better an ended up going through the adjustment process on results day in August to get a better one.

I'd say the rankings and prestige is not as important as location, modules etc. I drove myself crazy comparing unis on league tables and based my choice on which was the highest one I could realistically achieve with my predicted grades. Don't think that because you're predicted high grades, you have to go to a top uni. Consider all factors e.g. The ones I mentioned before along with much more such as social life, career support, living costs etc.

You'd only waste your choices if you were picking them mainly based on your predicted grades as opposed to considering all factors in my opinion. When you go out into the world of work, you'll realise that your uni, or even degree choice for that matter is not relevant for most jobs as such (that's what I found anyway).
It's daft to waste a choice on a London university, if you absolutely know already that you wouldn't want to go to university in London. Can you change it? There are plenty of excellent universities outside London that might be more appropriate for you. Durham, Surrey, Sussex, York, Sheffield, Exeter, Manchester, Bath, Bristol, Lancaster, Nottingham, the list is long and they'd all be delighted to receive an application from a student of your calibre.
For nothing? What? He could get a first in his degree and do a masters at Cambridge if he really wanted. Employers aren't that fussed on where your degree is from.

They're not, doesn't change the fact that it's a waste of OPs talents.
Reply 12
Original post by Crumpet1
It's daft to waste a choice on a London university, if you absolutely know already that you wouldn't want to go to university in London. Can you change it? There are plenty of excellent universities outside London that might be more appropriate for you. Durham, Surrey, Sussex, York, Sheffield, Exeter, Manchester, Bath, Bristol, Lancaster, Nottingham, the list is long and they'd all be delighted to receive an application from a student of your calibre.

That is a very good point, I think I might change it. I have 1 day left on my UCAS to change a university/course. Out of the list I've already applied for Exeter and Nottingham and received offers from both. It is just a big decision to change it and chose another.
That is a very good point, I think I might change it. I have 1 day left on my UCAS to change a university/course. Out of the list I've already applied for Exeter and Nottingham and received offers from both. It is just a big decision to change it and chose another.

Ignore rankings. Dont look at them at all. See which course you think would suit you better, where you might like to live and how much the living costs are. Choose a place where you believe you will be happy. Oh, thats another reason not to go to a London uni, I am pretty sure housing will be very expensive compared to other areas of the UK.

If you like places with a good nightlife etc check out Bristol uni. Bristol is a nice place to live, and has wayyy more to do than places like Bath (which is pretty close to Bristol :P)
They're not, doesn't change the fact that it's a waste of OPs talents.

You think going to a university because it's more highly regarded despite it making you less happy is a good idea?

Getting a first from LSE, or getting a first from Sheffield, doesn't change much. It really doesn't. It's not a waste at all.
My son achieved excellent grades last year, but made his firm choice on the course content and campus location of the university and totally ignored the league tables. He even did better than his predicted grades and could have entered adjustment if he wanted to, but is studying at the university he felt happiest with which is outside of the top 50 uni’s in the rankings.

I truly believe far too many students and parents place too much emphasis on rankings and not enough on course content, location and where a student would be happiest learning.
You think going to a university because it's more highly regarded despite it making you less happy is a good idea?

Getting a first from LSE, or getting a first from Sheffield, doesn't change much. It really doesn't. It's not a waste at all.

Alright, you keep telling yourself that buddy, im sure this is what ppl who flop at a levels say to themselves but sure, believe what you like.

FYI: For anyone reading this and thinking "Damn, I can fail and go to any uni I like?". Sorry no. Losers say this to make it a difference but how can something like that even make sense ffs
Alright, you keep telling yourself that buddy, im sure this is what ppl who flop at a levels say to themselves but sure, believe what you like.

FYI: For anyone reading this and thinking "Damn, I can fail and go to any uni I like?". Sorry no. Losers say this to make it a difference but how can something like that even make sense ffs

Wow, your logic is flawed. Birmingham is still a Russel Group Uni. If the OP would be happier there, that's where they should go. End of story. Jesus.
Wow, your logic is flawed. Birmingham is still a Russel Group Uni. If the OP would be happier there, that's where they should go. End of story. Jesus.

Just when I though your delusions couldn't get worse. You think russell groups means worthy automatically. There are bad unis on russell group.

No, maybe people who go to bad unis shouldnt advise A*A*A students because they have an agenda in making themselves feel better
Just when I though your delusions couldn't get worse. You think russell groups means worthy automatically. There are bad unis on russell group.

No, maybe people who go to bad unis shouldnt advise A*A*A students because they have an agenda in making themselves feel better

I'm an A-Level student too. What I do, or what my personal aspirations are, is irrelevant.

3A's would get you into Law at Oxford. Yet my friend got A*AA and is currently at Sheffield. Does it matter? **** no. Go where you're happiest.

Good luck in life, my anger filled little friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending