The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Is Newcastle good for media studies or should I go to Manchester instead?

I've applied to Newcastle Uni and Northumbria for Media and Communication studies, but talking to various students, they said that Newcastle is not a media hub, have very few links in the industry, not so many classes ans sometimes very rude teachers and that I should go somewhere else like Manchester or Birmingham because they are bigger cities that have more opportunities during and after college! what should I do??? I just received my offer and now the deadline for the russel group is gone and I'm kinda lost because my first choice was london, I wasn't insightful and looked for a plan c!! help!!!!!!
What would you like to do after your degree?

The deadline to pick a firm and insurance isn’t until June and there’s a lot of good courses still accepting applications.

The Russell group are rarely a good option for some types of courses - especially media related.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by marcellasm
I've applied to Newcastle Uni and Northumbria for Media and Communication studies, but talking to various students, they said that Newcastle is not a media hub, have very few links in the industry, not so many classes ans sometimes very rude teachers and that I should go somewhere else like Manchester or Birmingham because they are bigger cities that have more opportunities during and after college! what should I do??? I just received my offer and now the deadline for the russel group is gone and I'm kinda lost because my first choice was london, I wasn't insightful and looked for a plan c!! help!!!!!!

Hi @marcellasm

Congratulations of your offer! Northumbria's media and communication courses are taught by a range of academics with various links to the industry. Which in turn will allow you to develop a variety of knowledge and skills required in the profession you are interested. This course has also a range of graduates which as now employed by high profile companies such as BBC Digital, Wolff Olins, Framestore and Nexus.

I hope this has helped feel free to contact us again with any further queries and good luck with your studies :smile:

Thanks
Northumbria University UG Rep
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
What would you like to do after your degree?

The deadline to pick a firm and insurance isn’t until June and there’s a lot of good courses still accepting applications.

The Russell group are rarely a good option for some types of courses - especially media related.

I plan on relocating to London agter graduating and pursue a career in fashion, maybe PR or mkt, I don't know yet!
Reply 4
I only received the Newcastle offer, I'm hoping to be accepted any day now in Northumbria!

Original post by Northumbria University UG Rep
Hi @marcellasm

Congratulations of your offer! Northumbria's media and communication courses are taught by a range of academics with various links to the industry. Which in turn will allow you to develop a variety of knowledge and skills required in the profession you are interested. This course has also a range of graduates which as now employed by high profile companies such as BBC Digital, Wolff Olins, Framestore and Nexus.

I hope this has helped feel free to contact us again with any further queries and good luck with your studies :smile:

Thanks
Northumbria University UG Rep
I plan on relocating to London agter graduating and pursue a career in fashion, maybe PR or mkt, I don't know yet!

Why didn’t you apply for a fashion marketing or branding degree? Either would be better than a general media degree especially if you chose somewhere that has a strong graduate fashion week presence.

you don’t have to choose one of your original 5 choices. You can decline your offers and apply to another university using ucas extra.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Why didn’t you apply for a fashion marketing or branding degree? Either would be better than a general media degree especially if you chose somewhere that has a strong graduate fashion week presence.

you don’t have to choose one of your original 5 choices. You can decline your offers and apply to another university using ucas extra.

because I don't know what to do yet! I chose something that's generic for this purpose, maybe I like something else more! And I'm terrible at maths, so I'm trying to stay away from Bscs! How do I know a university is good for a media/comms degree? I saw in rankings that both newcastle and northumbria are good in media, but I don't know a good one that has a strong fashion week presence! That's so cool! How can I see that? Please help more hahahahah

Hi!

Every student has a different experience and sometimes certain universities or courses just aren't right for someone so what I would say is take all advice with a pinch of salt as you are the only one who can make the right decision about your own future. Newcastle University has an award-winning and highly active student media scene and like all universities, there are opportunities to create links within the industry but these differ depending on which city you study in so it just depends what your priorities are.

Newcastle's course has lots of opportunities to get involved in our various media outlets such as The Courier, our weekly newspaper, or join our fast-growing student radio and television stations. You can also get involved with Jesmond Local, a hyper-local news organisation that provides opportunities to gain experience in various news production roles. You can also connect with other students across the globe in our Pop-Up News Project and report on an event internationally.

Graduates from our Media, Communication and Cultural Studies degree have gone on to work in media-focused roles across a range of industries for organisations such as:
- The Financial Times
- Pickle Jar Communications
- Royal Bank of Scotland
- St James's Place Wealth Management
- Northern Powergrid
- Daily Mail

Definitely do some more research on all of the universities and their media courses and see which one sounds best for you!

Hope this helps :smile:

Megan (Outreach Ambassador)
Reply 8
because I don't know what to do yet! I chose something that's generic for this purpose, maybe I like something else more! And I'm terrible at maths, so I'm trying to stay away from Bscs! How do I know a university is good for a media/comms degree? I saw in rankings that both newcastle and northumbria are good in media, but I don't know a good one that has a strong fashion week presence! That's so cool! How can I see that? Please help more hahahahah

have you looked at university of the arts london? they have loads of courses with fashion marketing and media :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending