The Student Room Group

EPQ help needed! Sexuality - the nature vs. nurture debate.

I am doing an EPQ on 'To what extent is sexuality genetically determined' and would really appreciate any kind of help.

I have done some research and, so far, have only found things supporting the nature side. If anyone has any suggestions about anything I could include to argue for the nurture side aswell (because I want to make a balanced argument) I would be very grateful. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on anything they think I should include please let me know. Thank-you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Could you use Sigmund Freuds psychosexual stages and in the fact that he believes that during the Phalic stages children develop either the Oedipus or Electra complexes, leading to a desire of the parent of the opposite sex. He believed that if the child was brought up in a same sex relationship their identity would get "lost" and they'd become homosexual ?
Original post by Spartaobsessed
Could you use Sigmund Freuds psychosexual stages and in the fact that he believes that during the Phalic stages children develop either the Oedipus or Electra complexes, leading to a desire of the parent of the opposite sex. He believed that if the child was brought up in a same sex relationship their identity would get "lost" and they'd become homosexual ?

Everything Freud says should however be taken with a pinch of salt so just be careful. It's his View and is very subjective
Reply 3

That is a good idea, thank-you I will include that! Yes he believed that if they cannot 'resolve' the complex they become gay later in life.
Original post by izzykinn
That is a good idea, thank-you I will include that! Yes he believed that if they cannot 'resolve' the complex they become gay later in life.

Yes ! Could you also maybe link in the social learning theory and watching maybe gay parents or friends ? That's a bit far fetched however but could work ?
Reply 5
Yes ! Could you also maybe link in the social learning theory and watching maybe gay parents or friends ? That's a bit far fetched however but could work ?

Oooh yes! Are you a Psychology student aswell by any chance?:wink: Like modelling of role models (if they are gay)? I might then talk a bit about the role of media on sexuality as when gay/bi sexuality is (rarely) presented on TV for example it tends to be portrayed negatively which might contribute to people feeling they have to, and being scared to, 'come out'. Do you think that is relevant enough?
Oooh yes! Are you a Psychology student aswell by any chance?:wink: Like modelling of role models (if they are gay)? I might then talk a bit about the role of media on sexuality as when gay/bi sexuality is (rarely) presented on TV for example it tends to be portrayed negatively which might contribute to people feeling they have to, and being scared to, 'come out'. Do you think that is relevant enough?

I wonder what gives you the impression I'm a psy student 🤔 ahah. Yeah I am 😂 yeah ! That sounds like a really good idea ! Do you each Corrination street ? If so you could include the attack that was made on Eileen's son a couple of years ago because he was gay ? That could have influenced people as he was beaten up pretty badly and had to be sent to hospital ?
Reply 7
I wonder what gives you the impression I'm a psy student 🤔 ahah. Yeah I am 😂 yeah ! That sounds like a really good idea ! Do you each Corrination street ? If so you could include the attack that was made on Eileen's son a couple of years ago because he was gay ? That could have influenced people as he was beaten up pretty badly and had to be sent to hospital ?

I don't, but I will have a look into that. Thank-you, that will be very helpful:smile:
I don't, but I will have a look into that. Thank-you, that will be very helpful:smile:

He's called Todd grimshaw. I'll find if I can see anything

You could also have the influence of religion ?
Reply 10

Thank-you so much:smile:
Reply 11
You could also have the influence of religion ?

Yes, that is a big part of today's society and the LGBT+ community!

Quick Reply

Latest