The Student Room Group

Tips for teaching yourself further math?

Trying to teach myself some of further math A level / basically all of it since A level further math isn’t offered in my school, any advice?
Don't.

Well, what I've gathered from people on TSR is that it is hard AF.

I mean do it but it is hard...
If your school has a subscription to MyMaths, that can be great it goes through topics step by step and as loads of questions. Otherwise I would say just read the textbook and then do lots and lots of practise... try and understand the markschemes. :smile:)

This may be usefull for you!! Same sort of thing, lots of good websites:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4484210
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sharmin_
Trying to teach myself some of further math A level / basically all of it since A level further math isn’t offered in my school, any advice?

Will your school arrange help via the Further Maths Support Programme?
Reply 4
Original post by RichE
Will your school arrange help via the Further Maths Support Programme?

If it costs money then probably not, my sixth form is broke and small af (which is why they don’t offer the A level)

:frown:
Reply 5
Original post by perks23
If your school has a subscription to MyMaths, that can be great it goes through topics step by step and as loads of questions. Otherwise I would say just read the textbook and then do lots and lots of practise... try and understand the markschemes. :smile:)

Thanks!! I’ve been using one of the websites mentioned (I just skimmed through), I do math and physics a level in school, partial AS further math in School (because that’s all that’s available), but I have the teachers support there, it’s just genuine teaching I don’t have and have to provide for myself :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Bill Nye
Don't.

Well, what I've gathered from people on TSR is that it is hard AF.

I mean do it but it is hard...

Idk, I genuinely love math and want to study it in uni, because further math is more challenging and a higher level of math it appeals to me, ya know?
I taught myself the entire A-level since my school didn’t offer it either and I got an A. It’s definitely doable but you’re gonna have to put in much more hours than you do for core maths.
Reply 8
Original post by NiceB8M8
I taught myself the entire A-level since my school didn’t offer it either and I got an A. It’s definitely doable but you’re gonna have to put in much more hours than you do for core maths.

Any tips or advice? I.e. did you have set schedule? One chapter per two weeks or something like that. Or tutoring?
Any tips or advice? I.e. did you have set schedule? One chapter per two weeks or something like that. Or tutoring?

I assigned myself dates for each module where I made sure I would learn them by then. The speed at which you complete chapters is inconsequential as long as you finish the module in time. If you can find a tutor for a reasonable price, go for it as they may give you advice or insight that you can’t obtain by studying alone.
Original post by AvogadrosAvocado

Last time I looked Mymaths doesn't cover any further maths topics.
Reply 11
Original post by Hatter_2
Last time I looked Mymaths doesn't cover any further maths topics.

I don’t think it does, but the website linked is pretty good
I don’t think it does, but the website linked is pretty good

It has some of the Further Pure topics, which is what I'm using it for!! :smile:
Reply 13
If it costs money then probably not, my sixth form is broke and small af (which is why they don’t offer the A level)

:frown:

No it shouldnt cost. You should at least ask.
I did FP1 over the summer- just used the exam solutions videos to understand content and then worked through the textbooks
Reply 15

probably you will have to teach yourself all the essentials from normal maths as well so read ahead in that first and begin further maths once you have understood the essentials- when I self-learnt A level F. Maths I had to learn around half the chapters in C3 and C4 before starting even though I would learn them at school later
Reply 16
Which exam board? New spec or old? If old, which modules?
Also the OP could teach themselves further spellin
Reply 18
Original post by Shaanv
Which exam board? New spec or old? If old, which modules?

New spec (:
Reply 19

Don't listen to anyone who says it's really hard or really easy. It completely depends on your ability and how much work you are going to do.

If you're self-teaching then videos should be used as well as textbooks for example the excellent ExamSolutions videos. And you can use the maths forum here to ask questions whenever you are stuck. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest