The Student Room Group

English Literature and History vs English and American Literature

I'm pretty certain that I want to do English Lit in some shape or form, however, I'm struggling to decide whether it would be more advantageous to do double honours in English Lit and History or whether to take English and American Literature as a course. If anyone else has made the same or similar decisions I would be very grateful to hear what your verdict was. (I'm also contemplating taking Journalism alongside Lit or doing English, American and Post Colonial Literature)
Thanks so much for any help,
Willow
Original post by willowpaige
I'm pretty certain that I want to do English Lit in some shape or form, however, I'm struggling to decide whether it would be more advantageous to do double honours in English Lit and History or whether to take English and American Literature as a course. If anyone else has made the same or similar decisions I would be very grateful to hear what your verdict was. (I'm also contemplating taking Journalism alongside Lit or doing English, American and Post Colonial Literature)
Thanks so much for any help,
Willow

Have a look at the joint honours degree at St Andrews with Willian and Mary
One of the more interesting degrees id come across.
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/study-options/ug/degree-routes/william-mary-joint/

Think what you would do with your degree.

E&H would be good for teaching.

American studies normally gives you the option of a year in the US.

Journalism gives you more practical skills.

Its really up to you to do the research and spend time becoming familiar with course content to get an idea of what you will study and how. This is where open days plus also informal contacts with your chosen unis help.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Have a look at the joint honours degree at St Andrews with Willian and Mary
One of the more interesting degrees id come across.
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/study-options/ug/degree-routes/william-mary-joint/

Think what you would do with your degree.

E&H would be good for teaching.

American studies normally gives you the option of a year in the US.

Journalism gives you more practical skills.

Its really up to you to do the research and spend time becoming familiar with course content to get an idea of what you will study and how. This is where open days plus also informal contacts with your chosen unis help.

Thank you very much for the quick reply, I'll try and look into it a bit more and will certainly look at the course you linked. It all just gets a bit overwhelming haha.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending