The Student Room Group

Year out for Oxford?

So basically, I have applied to unvierity, and I applied for Oxford as one of my choices, but realistically I don't think I have a chance at getting in, but I really want to go there. Do you think it is worth it for me to (assuming I don't get in) to take a year out, get some work experience, do any retakes I have to, and take an extra A-Level? I really want to do the extra A-Level because I didn't get the chance to do it when I started Sixth Form. Opinions?
If you re-apply with A Levels you will really need minimum A*A*A. Oxford is not the be all and end all, so if you want a year out anyway then I'd say yes. But, if its just for Oxford I'd say no, personally.
Reply 2
What course at oxford?
Reply 3
Original post by Omzie
What course at oxford?

Maths
Reply 4
Original post by GovernmentEarner
If you re-apply with A Levels you will really need minimum A*A*A. Oxford is not the be all and end all, so if you want a year out anyway then I'd say yes. But, if its just for Oxford I'd say no, personally.

Yeah I see what you're saying. Probably gonna give it further consideration.
It's what I'm considering. Going to try and get my second language(s) to fluency as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Knowlesie
So basically, I have applied to unvierity, and I applied for Oxford as one of my choices, but realistically I don't think I have a chance at getting in, but I really want to go there. Do you think it is worth it for me to (assuming I don't get in) to take a year out, get some work experience, do any retakes I have to, and take an extra A-Level? I really want to do the extra A-Level because I didn't get the chance to do it when I started Sixth Form. Opinions?

Original post by Knowlesie
Maths

Oxford prefers applicants to take their A-levels within the standard 2 years, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Which extra A-level are you considering and why couldn't you take it originally?

Info here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/results

Quick Reply

Latest