The Student Room Group

Medical school with average GCSE’s and low UKCAT

Firstly id like to start by saying that at GCSE, i didnt do amazingly well. I got 4 A’s in the three sciences and maths... but didnt get the 5 A’s which most applications require. I anticipate that most other people applying to medical school will have a full set of Solid A*/A’s. I was just wondering what my chances are of getting into a medical school with a low UKCAT but 3 A’s at A level in bio, chem and IT... (i also understand that most applications will have either physics or maths as their third option...) tel me as bluntly as you like :smile:
You probably don’t stand much of a chance as most places require mid to high ukcat and A*AA as well as having them in the main 3 high would be maths, you could maybe apply to one or 2 less competitive med schools but be prepared to not get in
Original post by Fkhan170
Firstly id like to start by saying that at GCSE, i didnt do amazingly well. I got 4 A’s in the three sciences and maths... but didnt get the 5 A’s which most applications require. I anticipate that most other people applying to medical school will have a full set of Solid A*/A’s. I was just wondering what my chances are of getting into a medical school with a low UKCAT but 3 A’s at A level in bio, chem and IT... (i also understand that most applications will have either physics or maths as their third option...) tel me as bluntly as you like :smile:

Whats your volunteering and work experiance like?
Reply 3
Original post by TRAnders
Whats your volunteering and work experiance like?

I have worked in a pharmacy for about a year now, but i plan on getting my results at the end of this year and then taking a gap year to do all sorts of volunteering and work experience to enhance my application. But that is all based upon my final grades...
Reply 4
Original post by Ellieg333
You probably don’t stand much of a chance as most places require mid to high ukcat and A*AA as well as having them in the main 3 high would be maths, you could maybe apply to one or 2 less competitive med schools but be prepared to not get in

Which ones would you say are less competitive?
Which ones would you say are less competitive?

I wouldn’t know, you’re best to look at league tables and look at mid to low ranked unis for medicine
I have worked in a pharmacy for about a year now, but i plan on getting my results at the end of this year and then taking a gap year to do all sorts of volunteering and work experience to enhance my application. But that is all based upon my final grades...

What was your UKCAT?
Reply 7
What was your UKCAT?

I havent actually done the UKCAT, the plan is to spend a small portion of my gap year preparing for the UKCAT
I havent actually done the UKCAT, the plan is to spend a small portion of my gap year preparing for the UKCAT

I wouldn't write UKCAT off so early, its a tricky test but that the fact that you are taking a gap year means that you can put some time into preparing for it. Once you obtain your A Levels universities will be less picky about GCSE's. If you can obtain a decent UKCAT score and very good work experience/volunteering I would suggest that you look at Keele (but understand your volunteering really has to be exceptional for consideration), Manchester is a good choice especially with holistic assessment now being used. I suggest you do some further research into GCSE requirements etc.
Reply 9
I wouldn't write UKCAT off so early, its a tricky test but that the fact that you are taking a gap year means that you can put some time into preparing for it. Once you obtain your A Levels universities will be less picky about GCSE's. If you can obtain a decent UKCAT score and very good work experience/volunteering I would suggest that you look at Keele (but understand your volunteering really has to be exceptional for consideration), Manchester is a good choice especially with holistic assessment now being used. I suggest you do some further research into GCSE requirements etc.

Yes, manchester have said that they will not consider GCSE’s if the A levels have already been achieved... and although only bio and chem are required for entry, i still feel as though my third subject (ICT) wont stand out... also, what are holistic assessments. Also, are u a medical student. Thanks for all ur help and advice so far :smile:...
Yes, manchester have said that they will not consider GCSE’s if the A levels have already been achieved... and although only bio and chem are required for entry, i still feel as though my third subject (ICT) wont stand out... also, what are holistic assessments. Also, are u a medical student. Thanks for all ur help and advice so far :smile:...

Honestly do not worry about your 3rd A Level, all that matters is that you have the sciences. Manchester have introduced holistic assessment this year, in previous years they used to have UKCAT cutoffs. These no longer exist however obviously a good UKCAT is advantageous. If you do not fall within the top 30% for the UKCAT they will look at all your qualification, volunteering etc and make judgment from there.

Not a medical student yet! :wink: - I am applying for preliminary medicine (A104) as I do not have a science background. As a result I have done a crazy amount of research into admissions policies etc and applied strategically that way.
Reply 11
Honestly do not worry about your 3rd A Level, all that matters is that you have the sciences. Manchester have introduced holistic assessment this year, in previous years they used to have UKCAT cutoffs. These no longer exist however obviously a good UKCAT is advantageous. If you do not fall within the top 30% for the UKCAT they will look at all your qualification, volunteering etc and make judgment from there.

Not a medical student yet! :wink: - I am applying for preliminary medicine (A104) as I do not have a science background. As a result I have done a crazy amount of research into admissions policies etc and applied strategically that way.

Thank you so much for all your help. I am applying for optometry this year... however if my grades are good enough to do medicine then i plan on taking that all important gap year. If not, im happy with optometry. Thanks once again
Thank you so much for all your help. I am applying for optometry this year... however if my grades are good enough to do medicine then i plan on taking that all important gap year. If not, im happy with optometry. Thanks once again

No worries :smile: , best of luck to you!

Check this website out:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

U can see which med schools look into gcses and ukcat. Also im pretty sure u can do well in ukcat- its just practice Qs. I was really crap at first.
Reply 14
Original post by N/A IS THE NAME
Check this website out:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

U can see which med schools look into gcses and ukcat. Also im pretty sure u can do well in ukcat- its just practice Qs. I was really crap at first.

Yeah tbh, ive only ever attempted a few UKCAT questions and have found them ever so difficult the whole admissions test is what is putting me off applying for medicine because of how goddamn hard they are... i understand that this is not the correct attitude for an aspiring doctor as doctors are supposed to be demonstrate resilience but i actually dont see how these tests are relevant other than amplifying the ability to work under pressure. I just anticipate that i will achieve low in these tests but idk... thanks for this resource although.
Yeah tbh, ive only ever attempted a few UKCAT questions and have found them ever so difficult the whole admissions test is what is putting me off applying for medicine because of how goddamn hard they are... i understand that this is not the correct attitude for an aspiring doctor as doctors are supposed to be demonstrate resilience but i actually dont see how these tests are relevant other than amplifying the ability to work under pressure. I just anticipate that i will achieve low in these tests but idk... thanks for this resource although.

Its just testing key skills drs or med students should have. Unfortunately u just gotta do it if u wanna fo medicine. Everyone gets low scores at the start dw.
Reply 16
Original post by N/A IS THE NAME
Its just testing key skills drs or med students should have. Unfortunately u just gotta do it if u wanna fo medicine. Everyone gets low scores at the start dw.

Thanks for ur help and guidance :smile:
Np

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending