The Student Room Group

Low UCAT and grades

Hello, I was wondering if its possible to get into med school with a ≈2000 band 3 UCAT score and low Alevel grades. I have my UCAT today and alevels results day tommorow. I was thinking of taking a gap year and applying.
Has anyone gotten into uni with both low UCAT and low grades?
Reply 1
Original post by madmaxx
Hello, I was wondering if its possible to get into med school with a ≈2000 band 3 UCAT score and low Alevel grades. I have my UCAT today and alevels results day tommorow. I was thinking of taking a gap year and applying.

no , unfortunately even some of the lowest scores have been 2200 oor 2100 and that was a few years ago. when i applied i believe the lowest score was roughly 2100 which was 3 years ago
Reply 2
Original post by madmaxx

if this is med then it is perfectly possible!
Reply 3
I have a similar question. I took my UCAT today and I got a score of 2230 (agh) with situation judgment at band 1.

I had been hoping to apply to Warwick for Graduate Entry - the main reason for choosing this university is that I have a humanities background (2.1 in Eng Lit) and very sketchy science GCSEs... :frown:

I have done all the necessary work experience (a full year of HCA work, 2 GP Work placements and a hospital placement, as well as volunteer work - really strong references for everything).

Unfortunately my UCAT has let me down. While I'm gutted at only getting 2230 the worst part is I only got 490 on VR and on the Warwick website it says that anyone with a lower score than the mean average is automatically rejected.

Now, I know it's not possible to negotiate with medical schools, but I wondered if anyone has any advice on this? Do Warwick ever make exceptions, say if the candidate fulfills all other criteria and has an otherwise strong applications?

Alternatively does anyone know of any other universities that I might be able to apply for? I'm pretty sure there are none that would work for me based on the research I have done (except Newcastle and St Georges (SG for the five year) and I doubt either will accept my rubbish UCAT score). I know it's unlikely... Just looking for a glimmer of hope out there. TIA
Reply 4
Original post by Cat205
I have a similar question. I took my UCAT today and I got a score of 2230 (agh) with situation judgment at band 1.

I had been hoping to apply to Warwick for Graduate Entry - the main reason for choosing this university is that I have a humanities background (2.1 in Eng Lit) and very sketchy science GCSEs... :frown:

I have done all the necessary work experience (a full year of HCA work, 2 GP Work placements and a hospital placement, as well as volunteer work - really strong references for everything).

Unfortunately my UCAT has let me down. While I'm gutted at only getting 2230 the worst part is I only got 490 on VR and on the Warwick website it says that anyone with a lower score than the mean average is automatically rejected.

Now, I know it's not possible to negotiate with medical schools, but I wondered if anyone has any advice on this? Do Warwick ever make exceptions, say if the candidate fulfills all other criteria and has an otherwise strong applications?

Alternatively does anyone know of any other universities that I might be able to apply for? I'm pretty sure there are none that would work for me based on the research I have done (except Newcastle and St Georges (SG for the five year) and I doubt either will accept my rubbish UCAT score). I know it's unlikely... Just looking for a glimmer of hope out there. TIA

Heya message me!! I got in with 2440 :smile:
Reply 5
Hey guys, @madmaxx, @Cat205, look I know it can be really disheartening to not get the score you had wished for but there might be some options left... I don't know much but one or two universities don't use the UCAT in their selection process, so you might want to check it out. As far as I know, University of Buckingham is one of them. You can check out their course page for more information. Hope this helps
Reply 6
What did you get in the VR section?
Original post by (())
Reply 7
Original post by nxndita21
Hey guys, @madmaxx, @Cat205, look I know it can be really disheartening to not get the score you had wished for but there might be some options left... I don't know much but one or two universities don't use the UCAT in their selection process, so you might want to check it out. As far as I know, University of Buckingham is one of them. You can check out their course page for more information. Hope this helps

They ask forv45k for UK applicants lol
Reply 8
Original post by Cat205
What did you get in the VR section?

400 somethimg..
Reply 9
That’s amazing! I thought they were super strict on VR. Sorry I can’t message you. I only just opened this account and I’m not yet able to DM

Original post by (())
400 somethimg..
Reply 10
Original post by Cat205
That’s amazing! I thought they were super strict on VR. Sorry I can’t message you. I only just opened this account and I’m not yet able to DM

Already messaged you! Just read it :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by (())

may i ask where you applied?
Reply 12
Original post by (())

Hi i am in a similar position and I'd really love it if you could message me too!! I cannot seem to message you privately myself ;S
Reply 13
Original post by aleeha_55
Hi, please message me as well because i am in a similar position with my ucat.

This user is banned, presumably as he used various different (and presumably fictional) stats to encourage people to message him as he was selling "mentoring" to "help" people get in to medicine.

Post on the which med school thread if you want advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending