The Student Room Group

Do I have to work in groups?!

Hi everyone. So at university, I have chosen modules where I do not have to do presentations if possible because I have a speech impediment and I am also hard of hearing so not only do I find it difficult to pronounce things, I also cannot hear properly and working in groups makes it really difficult for me to talk or understand what people are trying to say.

In this particular module that I do, you are only marked for assignments, not presentation. The lecturer has decided to put everyone into groups and make us do a 10 minute presentation in a couple of weeks time. Now I have absolutely no problem with the people in the groups, but I literally cannot understand them and I am fed up of trying hard to hear what they are saying!

In a nutshell, I am better working by myself. I would rather do a 3000 word assignment than do a presentation! How can I try and dismiss myself from taking part in presentations? Do I e-mail the university student support or the needs assessor at university?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by socialscience92
Hi everyone. So at university, I have chosen modules where I do not have to do presentations if possible because I have a speech impediment and I am also hard of hearing so not only do I find it difficult to pronounce things, I also cannot hear properly and working in groups makes it really difficult for me to talk or understand what people are trying to say.

In this particular module that I do, you are only marked for assignments, not presentation. The lecturer has decided to put everyone into groups and make us do a 10 minute presentation in a couple of weeks time. Now I have absolutely no problem with the people in the groups, but I literally cannot understand them and I am fed up of trying hard to hear what they are saying!

In a nutshell, I am better working by myself. I would rather do a 3000 word assignment than do a presentation! How can I try and dismiss myself from taking part in presentations? Do I e-mail the university student support or the needs assessor at university?

Thanks in advance.

I feel ya, I have social anxiety and dread presentations and group chats with a passion. They're just so unnecessary (actually they're something that might improve confidence but it sure doesn't for me). Tell your professor either that you can't hear or lie and say you have social anxiety. Lmao.
Definitely talk to student support. Tell them your speech and hearing difficulties mean it's basically impossible to do a presentation. Maybe you could just put the slides together instead of actually presenting? Or just do some research to contribute? That was you don't actually have to present and have minimal conversations in the mean time. Maybe communication via text or email should be the main method in your group.

Thanks in advance.

I know it will be hard, but rather than focusing on why you can’t, have you spoken to your uni about getting help so you can?
Utilise everything you can get your hands on to improve it for yourself
Once you move into work you may not have a choice Better to address it head on now to make it better for yourself in the future
You CAN do it. The very best of luck

Thanks in advance.

Email student support and ask them to help you get an adjustment made for presentations
I spoke to disability services when I was doing a module that had a presentation as part of it (it wasn't assessed it was just compulsory). I was allowed to write an essay on the topic rather than do the presentation, although my professor really wasn't happy about it. :colondollar: It was 2500 words rather than a 10minute talk.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Sammylou40
I know it will be hard, but rather than focusing on why you can’t, have you spoken to your uni about getting help so you can?
Utilise everything you can get your hands on to improve it for yourself
Once you move into work you may not have a choice Better to address it head on now to make it better for yourself in the future
You CAN do it. The very best of luck

I kinda agree with this. I'm sympathetic to the issues that mean it is difficult for you to make a success of these circumstances, but at the same time, these are preparation for real-world scenarios that you will come up against in the workplace once you (hopefully) graduate.

I don't know a single undergrad that enjoys presentations, but they resolutely do serve a purpose - multiple purposes, in fact.

By all means contact student support, it is what they are there for. But if you can make it work somehow, then that'd be the preferred option.
Do you get extra support if you have to work in groups?
Hi everyone. Thank you all for your responses I very much appreciate it. I have decided to just bite the bullet and do it... I really don't want to but I have to, because in January I just found out I have got another group presentation! 😧

Surely, you'd choose a job where you wouldn't have to do things like this?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Surely, you'd choose a job where you wouldn't have to do things like this?

OF course. I am referring really to anything that makes you uncomfortable and anxious
In most jobs it’s just not possible to avoid everything you hate doing
As an example, my sons an aspie. Answering the phone was his worst nightmare til uni. And then came the presentations. Meltdown! By utilising all the support he could get his hands on he managed to overcome that and phones became nothing in comparison. He spends most of his working life on one.
The help is there. It’s best to confront those issues head on and try to deal with them as best you can for your own benefit in the future.
@Tiger Rag
OF course. I am referring really to anything that makes you uncomfortable and anxious
In most jobs it’s just not possible to avoid everything you hate doing
As an example, my sons an aspie. Answering the phone was his worst nightmare til uni. And then came the presentations. Meltdown! By utilising all the support he could get his hands on he managed to overcome that and phones became nothing in comparison. He spends most of his working life on one.
The help is there. It’s best to confront those issues head on and try to deal with them as best you can for your own benefit in the future.
@Tiger Rag

I get the impression you don't understand. I have issues with my hearing and apparently, my speech. There's no way I'd go into a job where I'd have to talk to the public - partly because as someone who has a processing disorder, it's almost impossible at times to understand people and I know a lot of people have severe issues understanding me.

And that's even before we go into my issues with noise.
I get the impression you don't understand. I have issues with my hearing and apparently, my speech. There's no way I'd go into a job where I'd have to talk to the public - partly because as someone who has a processing disorder, it's almost impossible at times to understand people and I know a lot of people have severe issues understanding me.

And that's even before we go into my issues with noise.

I understand more than you think but I’ve no intention of listing my disabilities here
The op has problems with anxiety. With the right support from uni there’s a chance that that anxiety could lessen to the point where it’s possible. It’s an uncomfortable thing to do for many but there’s a very big difference
Surely the point is to try to improve things when you can than continually avoid it
I understand more than you think but I’ve no intention of listing my disabilities here
The op has problems with anxiety. With the right support from uni there’s a chance that that anxiety could lessen to the point where it’s possible. It’s an uncomfortable thing to do for many but there’s a very big difference
Surely the point is to try to improve things when you can than continually avoid it

Read the OP again - they have a speech impairment and are hard of hearing. Therefore, no amount of practise will work.
Read the OP again - they have a speech impairment and are hard of hearing. Therefore, no amount of practise will work.

I have read it. I’m talking about overcoming the anxiety of it
Reply 15
Talk to your tutor about this, because you have an actual issue with your hearing and speech, this should count towards a special circumstance :smile: Your tutor should be understanding of this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending