The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANM775
something tells me you've got like most of your life savings invested in these currency's

if you're right about all of this perhaps one day you will be very rich and come back laughing at all the skeptic people, ..but if you're wrong perhaps you'll end up a bitter poor old man, constantly reminiscing about the past, unable to move on from 2017 when bitcoin hit an all time high ...and then crashed......:h::colonhash:

lets just hope that you end up the former eh..

Well I have my day job which gives me a regular source of income and I allocate some of my savings to different things. 50% of my savings is in the stock market, 30% is in cryptocurrencies and 10% is in an ISA and 10% in my current account.

Life is all about taking risks and I would never risk something that I'm not prepared to lose. If this whole thing goes belly up then at least I can say I gave it a shot. I don't particular believe in regrets... We make the best decisions we can based on what we believe at the time. Anyone can look with hindsight and say "I should have done this or I shouldn't have done that" but that's completely pointless because the reason you did or didn't do something in the first place was because you believed at the time it was the right decision.

I am perfectly comfortable with my risk exposure because if I wasn't then I wouldn't be in the game.
Reply 81
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
I don't have my life savings in this, but I've put in a fair bit and frankly if it all goes to zero I won't be upset. Being intelligent and doing that which interests me has always been my driving force over those folk who are so avaricious as to base their life on money and whilst it may seem hypocritical given the profits I've taken from this so far, I accept the very real risk this may yet end in folly.

At what stage do you plan to cash out

do you have a price you hope bitcoin to get to?
Original post by ANM775
At what stage do you plan to cash out

I'll cash out part of my holdings soon but the rest I will leave in BTC even if it goes to zero

Original post by ANM775

do you have a price you hope bitcoin to get to?

The value of a pound coin will tend asymptotically to zero, so to even maintain it's current value would be a victory for crypto over fiat.
Reply 83
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Well I have my day job which gives me a regular source of income and I allocate some of my savings to different things. 50% of my savings is in the stock market, 30% is in cryptocurrencies and 10% is in an ISA and 10% in my current account.

Life is all about taking risks and I would never risk something that I'm not prepared to lose. If this whole thing goes belly up then at least I can say I gave it a shot. I don't particular believe in regrets... We make the best decisions we can based on what we believe at the time. Anyone can look with hindsight and say "I should have done this or I shouldn't have done that" but that's completely pointless because the reason you did or didn't do something in the first place was because you believed at the time it was the right decision.

I am perfectly comfortable with my risk exposure because if I wasn't then I wouldn't be in the game.

ok, that's good to hear

yes, any money someone puts in they should be fully prepared that the money could disappear so it's good you're taking that on board
*BTC to the moon!*:captain:

Guys think it would be interesting to know what are your top 5 long term holds? Mine are ;
btc,ether,ltc, DASH and monero ... have some of my portfolio in lisk and iota too.
Original post by Dreamville1

Guys think it would be interesting to know what are your top 5 long term holds? Mine are ;
btc,ether,ltc, DASH and monero ... have some of my portfolio in lisk and iota too.

Bitcoin and Ethereum are definitely long term holdings. The only other coin I hold is OmiseGo and it makes up only a small portion of my holdings, a bit of a wild card a shot in the dark if you will :smile:
Original post by Dreamville1

Bitcoin and Ethereum are definitely long term holdings. The only other coin I hold is OmiseGo and it makes up only a small portion of my holdings, a bit of a wild card a shot in the dark if you will :smile:

Personally not a fan of Bitcoin, just not a good coin imo, I'm temporarily holding it as the opportunity is too good to pass right now. But Ark, OMG, ETH, LTC and BQX are my holds until 10 years later.
hello people

what do you think will happen to the btc price ?

i think the price of btc will drop a bit to 6k prior to the nov hard fork, but will rise again to hit 10k after that...
Reply 88
Original post by HucktheForde
hello people

i think the price of btc will drop a bit to 6k prior to the nov hard fork, but will rise again to hit 10k after that...

If you want to know [with some accuracy] what will likely happen to the price of bitcoin then learn to competently technically analyze a chart, ....or study finance or something and learn to competently apply fundamental analysis.

at the moment [like most people] you will be just guessing
Original post by ANM775
If you want to know [with some accuracy] what will likely happen to the price of bitcoin then learn to competently technically analyze a chart, ....or study finance or something and learn to competently apply fundamental analysis.

yea no one can say for sure with 100% certainty, i am asking if my way of thinking has any logic plot holes in it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HucktheForde
hello people

I think we'll hit $8k before the fork and then have a nice selloff, $6k sounds reasonable but knowing bitcoin it will probably only drop to $7k. The alts will get a nice pump and then depending on sentiment, bitcoin will resume its bull run or it will bounce around $6k for a while.

Original post by ANM775

To be honest technical analysis on crypto, even bitcoin is pretty useless because the market cap is just too small for it to be reliable. Sentiment and fundamentals are much more accurate.

To be honest technical analysis is useless. Sentiment and fundamentals are much more accurate.

fixed :teehee:
fixed :teehee:

Haha :biggrin: I'm not a big fan of TA anyway
It could very well drop to $5k. Bitcoin forked (again -_-) to create bitcoin gold but at the moment there is no replay protection which means if you sell your bitcoin gold, there is a chance your bitcoin will be lost.

Once they fix this bug there could be a major sell off in bitcoin gold and possible bitcoin and a huge rally in alts. I don't really mind as I own some alts as well as bitcoin.

It might be possible to earn money just explaining what this means. :teehee:
From the TA I've seen, the next resistance seems to be ~8400 then a drop off.

Btw happy alt coin meltdown part 2!
The hidden cost of bitcoin transactions - they burn huge amounts of energy and promote global warming.

One bitcoin transaction requires 215Kwh of electricity to complete.
https://www.ft.com/content/c166aa1e-c303-11e7-a1d2-6786f39ef675

In addition, each bitcoin transaction costs between £2 and £5, rendering it a useless currency for the original stated purpose of micropayments. It is now purely a speculative investment bubble. One that costs the earth, literally.
Reply 96
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The hidden cost of bitcoin transactions - they burn huge amounts of energy and promote global warming.

In addition, each bitcoin transaction costs between £2 and £5, rendering it a useless currency for the original stated purpose of micropayments. It is now purely a speculative investment bubble. One that costs the earth, literally.

you need to put yourself in the position of your typical poster when you post links to articles.

it requires a subscription to view

no one's going to end up reading that.

the comparison is incomplete because they didnt factor in the costs of setting up the entire international visa transaction block, from building to maintaining those infrastructure.

How does this match up to crooked western governments forcing impoverished nations to devalue their currencies and in doing so make their own people suffer just to repay debts?
How does this match up to crooked western governments forcing impoverished nations to devalue their currencies and in doing so make their own people suffer just to repay debts?

It's just not feasible that Bitcoin could replace the major currencies, so the question is irrelevant. It also isn't clear that devaluation is forced by the west on developing nations, or that it's specifically linked to debt. Printing debt isn't very rational if the scale is out of proportion to the needs of the economy, but apart from some celebrated cases, that isn't the main reason for excessive government debt.

Latest

Trending

Trending