The Student Room Group

Bath suffers 'very significant' drop in student applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
?

http://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/bursaries-and-scholarships-for-undergraduate-students/

Our Gold scholarship programme offers bursaries of £5,000 per year of study (not including paid placement) to up to 50 students from low-income families.

Plus others.

Yeah you have to do loads of things for that one though. The others just give you 2 grand but the no strings attached at bath is only 1 grand and only 9 available. http://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/income-related-scholarships/
Reply 61
Original post by black1blade
Yeah you have to do loads of things for that one though. The others just give you 2 grand but the no strings attached at bath is only 1 grand and only 9 available. http://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/income-related-scholarships/

The "loads of things" would all be excellent for a CV :wink:

An hour a week of volunteering seems a pretty good thing in exchange for £5k.
The "loads of things" would all be excellent for a CV :wink:

An hour a week of volunteering seems a pretty good thing in exchange for £5k.

My mum would want me to go there because it's close. I was thinking of applying for another natural science course but durham is too far away apparently.
I'd say it was just a blip at this stage, but I guess we'll find out come January.
Reply 64
Original post by black1blade
I was thinking of applying for another natural science course but durham is too far away apparently.

"Apparently"? It hasn't moved :wink:

If you like the course, apply. It's a lovely city - with a train station.
"Apparently"? It hasn't moved :wink:

If you like the course, apply. It's a lovely city - with a train station.

Yeah I do really like chemistry and it's my best subject but the problem with most of the natural science courses is that the later year options are far more limited than with single honours. I mean doing physics major and chemistry minor at bath would be like doing a core physics degree and 2/3rds of core chemistry but I much prefer how cambridge do it where you do a full first year in 3 subjects then narrow it down/ chose.
Reply 66
I'm an international student and I didn't apply to bath coz their entry requirenment is relatively higher than some of its 'rival' unis. Also, compared to places like with places like UCL and Bristol the uni is less well known in my country + I also personally prefer bigger cities.
I didn't apply to Bath simply because it doesn't offer my course. Also a very popular course, Psychology, I believe requires a Science A-Level and I don't recall if they include Psychology in that. I think it's pretty clear that it's because of a lack of med school, and I didn't even know that it was Bath that had the VC scandal (though I did know that said scandal happened). On a vaguely related note, I didn't look at Manchester because of the recent scandal of them sacking half their staff and replacing them with people it cost less to employ.
EU students should go down further, they just cost the taxpayer money and take places from students who will actually live here in the future.

Unlike Internationals, they dont even pay extra
As someone applying to unis this year, I was considering Bath. However there were simply better, more established unis out there that required the same grades.
Original post by nashh606
As someone applying to unis this year, I was considering Bath. However there were simply better, more established unis out there that required the same grades.

> better

By what metric?

> more established

By what metric?

I'll concede that I'm not immune to my own biases (I hold an offer from Bath) but nonetheless, I would be interested to hear why you have reached this verdict.
Reply 71
Original post by hannah00
EU students should go down further, they just cost the taxpayer money and take places from students who will actually live here in the future.

Unlike Internationals, they dont even pay extra

How do EU student take places from UK students?

EU students have to repay their loan, same as home students. The default rate for EU students is no higher than UK students.
How do EU student take places from UK students?

EU students have to repay their loan, same as home students. The default rate for EU students is no higher than UK students.

Im not talking about default rates.

There is funding available for x amount of students, if a place goes to a EU student, that means a UK student looses out.

Unlike Health care, EU nationals home country doesnt pay for it.

Also alot of students will never earn enough to pay the loan back, which is fine if your a UK student as youve lived here your entire life. Your parents paid tax, you will pay income tax, VAT

But seems unfair to give the same deal to someone who will only be in the UK for 3 years.
Im not talking about default rates.

There is funding available for x amount of students, if a place goes to a EU student, that means a UK student looses out.

Unlike Health care, EU nationals home country doesnt pay for it.

Also alot of students will never earn enough to pay the loan back, which is fine if your a UK student as youve lived here your entire life. Your parents paid tax, you will pay income tax, VAT

But seems unfair to give the same deal to someone who will only be in the UK for 3 years.

> There is funding available for x amount of students,

Therefore I assume you could link an article about student (x + n) who didn't get financing because the government ran out of money?
Original post by LandoNorrisWDC
> There is funding available for x amount of students,

Therefore I assume you could link an article about student (x + n) who didn't get financing because the government ran out of money?

sure https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2448959

EU students are in direct competition for places with Home Students. Unlike International Students who have a separate quota.
sure https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2448959

EU students are in direct competition for places with Home Students. Unlike International Students who have a separate quota.

Would appreciate it if you could expound on how a TSR adding game has a bearing on student financing?
Original post by LandoNorrisWDC
> better

By what metric?

> more established

By what metric?

I'll concede that I'm not immune to my own biases (I hold an offer from Bath) but nonetheless, I would be interested to hear why you have reached this verdict.

Well I cant speak for everyone. But I am considering a career in investment banking and unis like bristol and nottingham have larger alumnis and better numbers from what I can see.

And Bath has fairly high grade requirements, and these other unis simply have a more recognisable name which is, to a lot of ppl, a big factor when applying to prestigious unis.

There's no metrics apart from personal observation. It's not necessarily that bath has shortfalls itself, rather other unis seem better.
Reply 77

No there's no funding cap, except for medicine (and that's an NHS cap not SFE).

And how many EU students actually come to the UK for their first degree? As a proportion of the total student body? Answer, less than 10%. Also, compared to home students EU borrowers are much more likely to repay in full.
Reply 78
I think the reason is that not many want to get a degree from a place called bath....
Original post by nashh606
Well I cant speak for everyone. But I am considering a career in investment banking and unis like bristol and nottingham have larger alumnis and better numbers from what I can see.

And Bath has fairly high grade requirements, and these other unis simply have a more recognisable name which is, to a lot of ppl, a big factor when applying to prestigious unis.

There's no metrics apart from personal observation. It's not necessarily that bath has shortfalls itself, rather other unis seem better.

Fair enough - seems like you've made a reasoned decision. I'm not particuarly familiar with the banking sector so I can only assume you are correctly informed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending