The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Has anyone heard back from Durham yet?

Or, when can I expect to hear back from them?

I've applied for Classical Civilisations, and I've heard back from 3/5 of my choices (Nottingham, Leeds, Birmingham) and just waiting on Oxford and Durham. I haven't heard anything from them since I got an email through to say they'd received my application on the 11th October.

I know they generally keep people waiting but was wondering if anyone has a rough idea of when (November, December, January) I can hope to hear anything, or if anyone has got an offer from them yet?

Thanks.
Original post by fallingleaves6

I've applied for Classical Civilisations, and I've heard back from 3/5 of my choices (Nottingham, Leeds, Birmingham) and just waiting on Oxford and Durham. I haven't heard anything from them since I got an email through to say they'd received my application on the 11th October.

I know they generally keep people waiting but was wondering if anyone has a rough idea of when (November, December, January) I can hope to hear anything, or if anyone has got an offer from them yet?

Thanks.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/study/apply/process/
"Once we receive your application we will acknowledge this by email or letter. If you have not heard from the Admissions Team within three weeks of submitting your application to UCAS please contact us."
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by PQ
https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/study/apply/process/
"Once we receive your application we will acknowledge this by email or letter. If you have not heard from the Admissions Team within three weeks of submitting your application to UCAS please contact us."

Do you think they mean the acknowledgement or an actual offer/rejection should come within 3 weeks? I've had the acknowledgement.
Do you think they mean the acknowledgement or an actual offer/rejection should come within 3 weeks? I've had the acknowledgement.

They say later on
" we may not inform some applicants who applied as early as September of our decision until March."

Thanks.

Durham is one of the universities that gives some people offers really quickly, in October and November, but makes others wait six months until the end of March before accepting/rejecting them.

I was the same as you last year - I got a few offers (Warwick, Nottingham) in quick succession in October, and then LSE and Edinburgh kept me waiting until March.
I've moved this over to the Durham University area of the site - if you have a nose around the busy/stuck threads and the links to connect you might be able to find some fellow applicants for classics courses :smile:

Thanks.

I applied for chem, but Durham make a big deal out of not disadvantaging people who apply later, so unless they're super keen on you you probs won't hear from them for a long while.
I actually didn't receive my offer until after they had had their residential post-offer days, so mid March, because I was a borderline case (I was obviously an oxbridge candidate and I think that's why they weren't too keen on me).
Original post by PQ
I've moved this over to the Durham University area of the site - if you have a nose around the busy/stuck threads and the links to connect you might be able to find some fellow applicants for classics courses :smile:

Aaah thank you sorry!
Original post by StealingThunder
I applied for chem, but Durham make a big deal out of not disadvantaging people who apply later, so unless they're super keen on you you probs won't hear from them for a long while.
I actually didn't receive my offer until after they had had their residential post-offer days, so mid March, because I was a borderline case (I was obviously an oxbridge candidate and I think that's why they weren't too keen on me).

I wonder if they delay some applications because they know a lot of people who get Oxbridge offers will cancel their Durham application so they can firm their Oxbridge offer....saves them "wasting" time on applicants that wouldn't pick them as firm (and they're a terrible insurance choice)
Original post by PQ
I wonder if they delay some applications because they know a lot of people who get Oxbridge offers will cancel their Durham application so they can firm their Oxbridge offer....saves them "wasting" time on applicants that wouldn't pick them as firm (and they're a terrible insurance choice)

I mean I did consider them as an insurance but didn't like Durham that much anyway, kind of wanted to either go oxbridge or London. I waited till I heard back from all my unis to firm so maybe that's why I received an offer eventually - they probs assumed I'd been rejected?
Although I did know some Oxbridge people who were just too good for them to turn down and they got offers in October.
But yeah, they're a slow uni so don't stress if you don't hear anything for months!!

Quick Reply

Latest