The Student Room Group

Dropping a subject. Should I?

I am thinking about dropping Chemistry as I moved on to A2. I have Maths, Computer Science, Physics and Chemistry as my CIE A levels subject. I am struggling pretty much in Chemistry and worried about my future if I don't get good grades as I am not getting good grades in Chemistry than other subjects.
I will be doing Computer Science degree after my A levels so is it better to drop Chemistry as whole now and focus on other 3 subjects. I gave AS maths and computer this session and will be giving Physics as whole and A2 exams on next session.
Please make me clear if I will get any problem related later on. Thank you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Chemistry is more or less irrelevant to your chosen course, and you are only required to take 3 A-levels for entry into such courses. So there is absolutely no reason not to drop it, and there may be some reason to drop it - namely that if you do, you can focus on your main subjects more.

If you're considering Computer Science, you may want to consider picking up AS or A-level Further Maths if it's available to you however.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Chemistry is more or less irrelevant to your chosen course, and you are only required to take 3 A-levels for entry into such courses. So there is absolutely no reason not to drop it, and there may be some reason to drop it - namely that if you do, you can focus on your main subjects more.

If you're considering Computer Science, you may want to consider picking up AS or A-level Further Maths if it's available to you however.

Oh okay. In my case then it would be better to drop as I am struggling through it as you mentioned, it won't need for my course later. Nope there is no option for Further Maths in my country, Nepal. Would that still be fine without it and dropping Chemistry? However I do have Computer Science so i guess it will take some advantages while applying.But I am still worried about Chem in the decission of dropping.
And what about General Paper, it is a complusory subject in which we have to write an eassy. Will Gp grades count or considered while applying?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by kundanad
Oh okay. In my case then it would be better to drop as I am struggling through it as you mentioned, it won't need for my course later. Nope there is no option for Further Maths in my country, Nepal. Would that still be fine without it and dropping Chemistry? However I do have Computer Science so i guess it will take some advantages while applying.But I am still worried about Chem in the decission of dropping.
And what about General Paper, it is a complusory subject in which we have to write an eassy. Will Gp grades count or considered while applying?

Not taking Chemistry won't make a difference - only three A-levels are required for degrees in the UK, including Maths. Just focus on getting the best grades you can in your other subjects (especially Maths!) :smile:

The general paper will normally not form part of any offer and won't be considered, in line with General Studies and Critical Thinking from UK students - some universities use them as "tie breakers" but increasingly they're just not factored in at all. So don't worry too much about that either.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Not taking Chemistry won't make a difference - only three A-levels are required for degrees in the UK, including Maths. Just focus on getting the best grades you can in your other subjects (especially Maths!) :smile:

The general paper will normally not form part of any offer and won't be considered, in line with General Studies and Critical Thinking from UK students - some universities use them as "tie breakers" but increasingly they're just not factored in at all. So don't worry too much about that either.

Oh okay. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest