The Student Room Group

Dropping A Subject At Year 11

How can I persuade my teacher to let me drop Music?
I want to use the time in music lessons to study for other subjects like science and maths. Music will be no use to me with the career I'm pursuing but is this a good enough reason? Please help! Thank you.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm afraid it's not a good reason at all, at the end of the day it is another GCSE to add to your CV ☺️
Personally I think it is, you would need to have a proper discussion with your school though, as they may believe you won’t actually use the additional time to revise.
Reply 3
Original post by whitneeyle
I'm afraid it's not a good reason at all, at the end of the day it is another GCSE to add to your CV ☺️

But will it matter if the courses I'm applying for in A-Level are not to do with Music at all?

For example, I'm thinking of doing
Biology, Chemistry and either Psychology or maths
Reply 4
Original post by JessicaEMB
Personally I think it is, you would need to have a proper discussion with your school though, as they may believe you won’t actually use the additional time to revise.

Oh yes, my dad is expecting a phone call soon to discuss it but I'm afraid that it won't go well since we may be lacking in a good reason to drop it. They also know I'm a good student and wouldn't mess around but for some reason they seem reluctant to let me drop
Reply 5
Original post by VirgoStrain
Doesn’t matter. GCSE’s are there to show you’re well rounded. By that logic you could just do 3/4 GCSE’s in your A-level subjects. Stick with music. The more GCSE’s you have the better it looks. If you get good marks on more GCSE’s it also looks good. There’s a reason my school requires pupils to choose 4 humanities / arts including a language.

I don’t regret for a moment not just doing 11, but Further Maths and Electronics as 12th and 13th GCSE’s. I had little revision time during term during coursework but guess what? I revised during holidays and I had enough time to do great in all of them.

But I'm really struggling in music right now and want to focus on getting higher grades in my other more important subjects. Is it not better to have less subjects but higher grades than more subjects but lower grades?
Reply 6
You're doubting your ability before you've even had a chance to go through the specifications of all your subjects or do the mock exams. What kind of message does that send to the university or to yourself, that you're willing to give up so easily and not persevere to prove yourself wrong? Everyone struggles at GCSE's and at A-Levels, that's because they're there to challenge you. What aspect of music are you struggling in? What kind of grades have you been getting?

It's only been half a term. I think you're just panicking at how it's gone so far and assumed it will remain just as difficult throughout the year.

It's really time consuming and I haven't improved at all. We did mocks and I got a grade 2.. I don't want to do it all and it would be much better if I could focus on science
Reply 7
What are your grades in everything else looking like at the moment? Are you sure you couldn’t improve in music if you did intensive revision like most people do during Easter?

I did get 43% in my DT year 10 end of year, but by the yr11 I got the top mark in the mocks and came out with an A* overall including coursework. That’s mostly because I only bothered to revise all my subjects properly from Christmas onwards.

In my opinion, see how your mocks go (do you have them in December?) before making a decision. Your school doesn’t need to enter you for the exam until late January, so just let them know you’re unsure at the moment.

Well on my recent report card my grades were:
Biology - 5+
Business Studies - B
Chemistry- 6+
English Lang- 5+
Eng lit - 5
Geography-6
Maths- 6
Music- 4-
Physics- 6

I really want to bring my grade up in Biology, Eng Lang and Maths since I've gotten 8's before but at the moment music just takes a lot of time. Which to me is pointless as I could be spending that time on my other subjects. I feel as if I've already thought about it long enough, I've already had a few discussions too and we are expecting a phone call tomorrow and I want to be able to give good reasons to drop music other wise I'm afraid that they will not let me. I literally dread going to lessons and wish I could focus on my other subjects that are actually important to me but I don't know what to say to them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Don’t you have loads of free periods already? 12 of my GCSE’s fit onto a normal timetable and I also did the 13th after school.

I personally think you should persevere with music. A 4 isn’t a bad grade especially when you’re only halfway through your studies. You can still improve it to a 7 and above easily. Because GCSE’s are meant to indicate well roundedness I worry that removing it might not show this - only geography would be the remaining core subject.

Do your best in the next few weeks as though you don’t intent to drop it, and see how that goes. But if you genuinely believe you can boost your remaining 8 GCSE’s to good marks by dropping music then go for it. They’d better be really good though, universities like Oxbridge have candidates who enter with averages of 5 A* equivalent grades (an 8 or above in your case).

Omg 12, I only have 9 altogether and we don't have any free periods so I wanted to drop music and use that time to revise for other subjects. I don't have any problems understanding my other subjects, the only problem was not getting enough time to revise so if I dropped music which took a lot of time and needed a lot of effort too then I would be able to boost my other grades up! Thank you for all the advice you've given!
Doesn’t matter. GCSE’s are there to show you’re well rounded. By that logic you could just do 3/4 GCSE’s in your A-level subjects. Stick with music. The more GCSE’s you have the better it looks. If you get good marks on more GCSE’s it also looks good. There’s a reason my school requires pupils to choose 4 humanities / arts including a language.

I don’t regret for a moment not just doing 11, but Further Maths and Electronics as 12th and 13th GCSE’s. I had little revision time during term during coursework but guess what? I revised during holidays and I had enough time to do great in all of them.

Sorry, but forced languages really aren't a good thing...
Meh, can't really comment on that as i got A*'s in both German and French (yes, I took 2). It didn't disadvantage me, but I do understand that some people may despise languages.

I don't disagree with people doing languages, though the concept of forcing everyone to learn one when so many nations already speak English as a second language irritates me.
In a way, yes you're right. However some GCSE's such as English Literature - you have to have a certain grade in that GCSE to take a level, although some are just 5 A*-C grades. When you apply for part time jobs, universities, sixth forms, anything, they will look at your GCSEs and if it's a 5 A*-C bracket and they cannot choose between you and another person, they'll take somebody with more GCSEs..
Original post by Momoi13
But will it
matter if the courses I'm applying for in A-Level are not to do with Music at all?

For example, I'm thinking of doing
Biology, Chemistry and either Psychology or maths
Original post by Momoi13
How can I persuade my teacher to let me drop Music?
I want to use the time in music lessons to study for other subjects like science and maths. Music will be no use to me with the career I'm pursuing but is this a good enough reason? Please help! Thank you.

If you're not confident with getting a worthwhile grade in the subject, and you can drop it while still coming out with a reasonable number of GCSEs, then there's not really any point continuing. That said one (comparatively) bad GCSE grade won't stand out much.

Quick Reply

Latest