The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics: PAT test discussion

Scroll to see replies

Y equation was made of omega*t also. So, if u saw both the equations in terms of t and not omega*t... It won't make a difference.

See... Let's say the X equation was a(t - sine(t)) sine(t) will take the value of 1/2 ONLY. But.... t can take MANY values: pi/6, pi - pi/6, 2pi + pi/6 are some examples. (note that The sine of all these values is the same: 1/2)
Original post by cooltejaskd
Y equation was made of omega*t also. So, if u saw both the equations in terms of t and not omega*t... It won't make a difference.

See... Let's say the X equation was a(t - sine(t)) sine(t) will take the value of 1/2 ONLY. But.... t can take MANY values: pi/6, pi - pi/6, 2pi + pi/6 are some examples. (note that The sine of all these values is the same: 1/2)

Yes indeed, but was everwhere where i wrote t omega t? Becouse than the solution would be the same
Original post by Tomyil12345
Yes indeed, but was everwhere where i wrote t omega t? Becouse than the solution would be the same

But the solution of root3-2cosx is x is +- 1/6 pi so when you plug this into sine you get +-1/2

Yep!
for the circles question, if I got one of the radii wrong but the centres of both and the other radius right and correctly drew in all four tangents but was unable to work out their lengths, how many marks do you think that would be?
But the solution of root3-2cosx is x is +- 1/6 pi so when you plug this into sine you get +-1/2

Oh yeah... Then there are 4 sets of solutions (general solutions).
Original post by Quantum42
for the circles question, if I got one of the radii wrong but the centres of both and the other radius right and correctly drew in all four tangents but was unable to work out their lengths, how many marks do you think that would be?

How much did you get the radii as?

To answer your question, I think very less. Probably 2/9.
Now let's address the most crazy thing - waves question! What was that?!?! How the hell would you GRAPH such a thing?

Also, can anyone post answers to the other questions involved in the wave question? (Time period, velocity, frequency related)
Okay here is the full and I believe correct solution to the binary system:

For the 2 star binary system, notice that the graviational force on a star is
Gm24R2 \frac{Gm^2}{4R^2}, this is because the gravitational force between the 2 stars is the inversely proportion to the square of the distance BETWEEN THEM, which in this case is 2R2R, notice that the radius of orbit of a star is RR so we have the centripetal force is mv22R\frac{mv_2^2}{R}. So after rearranging we have that v22=Gm4R{v_2^2}=\frac{Gm}{4R}. The distance squared between 2 stars in the 3 star system is 3, so the graviational force is Gm23R2\frac{Gm^2}{3R^2}, resolving this force towards the center and recognising that there are 2 stars we get that the centripetal force is 3Gm23R2\frac{\sqrt{3}Gm^2}{3R^2}, we finally get that v32=3Gm3Rv_3^2=\frac{\sqrt{3}Gm}{3R}. I'll leave it as an exercise for you to find the ratio.
(edited 6 years ago)
How much did you get the radii as?

To answer your question, I think very less. Probably 2/9.

2.5 and 3
Original post by Quantum42
2.5 and 3

I got the radii as 5 and 3. I am pretty sure I didn't make a mistake, but everyone here seems to be getting 2.5 and 1.5. Idk.
Oh yeah... Then there are 4 sets of solutions (general solutions).

No 2 i think
I got the radii as 5 and 3. I am pretty sure I didn't make a mistake, but everyone here seems to be getting 2.5 and 1.5. Idk.

I've heard a mixture of both
Original post by Electric-man7
Okay here is the full and I believe correct solution to the binary system:

For the 2 star binary system, notice that the graviational force on a star is
Gm24R2 \frac{Gm^2}{4R^2}, this is because the gravitational force between the 2 stars is the inversely proportion to the square of the distance BETWEEN THEM, which in this case is 2R2R, notice that the radius of orbit of a star is RR so we have the centripetal force is mv22R\frac{mv_2^2}{R}. So after rearranging we have that v22=Gm4R{v_2^2}=\frac{Gm}{4R}. The distance squared between 2 stars in the 3 star system is 3, so the graviational force is Gm23R2\frac{Gm^2}{3R^2}, resolving this force towards the center and recognising that there are 2 stars we get that the centripetal force is 3Gm23R2\frac{\sqrt{3}Gm^2}{3R^2}, we finally get that v32=3Gm3Rv_3^2=\frac{\sqrt{3}Gm}{3R}. I'll leave it as an exercise for you to find the ratio.

Exactly the answer I wrote before. V_3 = 2*(1/3)^(1/4)*v_2
No 2 i think

2 sets of sine solutions with 1/2 and 2 sets with -1/2. Of course it can be totally 2 sets depending on how u write the general solution (U probably write both the 2pi + theta and pi - theta as a combined general solution. In that case, 2 sets)
Exactly the answer I wrote before. V_3 = 2*(1/3)^(1/4)*v_2

Oh my bad I misinterpeted your writing.
2 sets of sine solutions with 1/2 and 2 sets with -1/2. Of course it can be totally 2 sets depending on how u write the general solution (U probably write both the 2pi + theta and pi - theta as a combined general solution. In that case, 2 sets)

No because with -1/6 pi comes - 1/2 and 1/6pi vice versa so you get two general

And the solution for root3/2 =cos x is x
=+- 1/6pi pi- theta is for sine x = root 3/2
(edited 6 years ago)
Guys predicted shortlist threshold?
No becouse with -1/6 pi comes - 1/2 and 1/6pi vice versa so you get two general

Oh... U mean to say the in the 4 general ones that I am talking about, 2 will be redundant cuz they'll be the same? Yeah, I guess.
Guys I if managed to find the equations of the circles and drew them well, and drew the tangents but could not find their lenghts how much will I get?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending