The Student Room Group

Will my very bad GCSE grades cost me a place at top uni

Long story short, I didn’t revise nowhere near enough for my GCSE and in the end I ended up with very bad grades of 4 Bs 4 Cs 1 D and 1 E( missed an exam)
In sixth form however I really buckled down and have got myself in the position where I am predicted 3 As for my alevels and acheived a B in my sole As; which I am resitting to get a better grade
I’m currently thinking of applying to the following unis:
LSE for Government ( Longshot) AAA
Warwick for Politics AAA
Durham for Politics AAA
Nottingham for Politics and International relations AAB
Kent for Politics and International relations BBB
I’m just wondering how likely i am to get into my chosen unis especially Warwick or Durham as those are the ones I’m realistically hoping to enter.
I’m also wondering whether I should alter my choices to better my chances?

Scroll to see replies

hmm if you get the As they will accept you no matter what your gcses are . but if you don't then they won't and sorry to break it to you but A2 is harder and if you resit I don't really see it working out without really really hard work and I mean it
You can definitely get into any of those choices! I know of a girl who did worse than you at o levels and she upped her game at A levels, got into Warwick !
You sure have a chance! Your gcses aren't as horrible, most unis (especially Cambridge), including some really good med schools don't really care about your gcses as long as you have a C in math and English:smile: don't stress out, work hard for your A levels and show em you're worth it! 💪🏽
Original post by aliencreature
hmm if you get the As they will accept you no matter what your gcses are . but if you don't then they won't and sorry to break it to you but A2 is harder and if you resit I don't really see it working out without really really hard work and I mean it

I know A2 is much harder hence why I’ve worked much harder revising upwards of 3 hours a day, and have acheived much better grades (ABB) in As and end of first year mocks, I was just wondering whether my uni application would be less likely to be initially accepted
if your predicted are all As then it will get accepted easily.
Original post by AliyaSh7
You can definitely get into any of those choices! I know of a girl who did worse than you at o levels and she upped her game at A levels, got into Warwick !
You sure have a chance! Your gcses aren't as horrible, most unis (especially Cambridge), including some really good med schools don't really care about your gcses as long as you have a C in math and English:smile: don't stress out, work hard for your A levels and show em you're worth it! 💪🏽

Thanks man I will apply to all my choices and hopefully I get in, hard work starts once I get the offers.
I’m not sure about the other universities you’re applying too but LSE definitely look at GCSE grades and expect atleast some As and A*.

Also, they state this on their website:

All applicants are expected to have at least grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics or the equivalent, although exceptions are made for applicants with extenuating circumstances. As competition for places at LSE is intense, we look for applicants who have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades), particularly within the context of their school.
(edited 6 years ago)
I went to Nottingham with identical GCSE grades if that helps....
...how do you miss an exam?

and wouldn't it be U rather than E? E is a pass.

Nottingham offered me a place on an AAB course with a prediction of ABB though so I'm sure you'll be fine with AAA.... Kent will obviously accept you. Friend applied to Durham with AAB prediction, so that's fine as well. The other two I don't know.

Avoid using Kent as an 'insurance' choice (literally, and not from UCAS) and thinking you'll get in on clearing when things go bad. Kent is notoriously oversubscribed by virtue of being the only respectable university in that region so it absorbs all the kids. This current academic year they had a clearing/adjustment requirement of a minimum of A*A*A. That said basically all universities in the south are oversubscribed one way or another so make sure you have a more northern option. All good southern non-Russell unis are basically closed for clearing/adjustment so don't count on them to save you. This year Surrey didn't even open clearing/adjustment while Sussex closed by 10am results day.

If you want a shot at LSE with AAA, consider an EPQ. Especially since they do look at GCSE grades, so you really need to put something into your history (exclusive awards, work experience, or even A*s) in order to get in on your GCSE history.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bart12345
...how do you miss an exam?

and wouldn't it be U rather than E? E is a pass.

Nottingham offered me a place on an AAB course with a prediction of ABB though so I'm sure you'll be fine with AAA.... Kent will obviously accept you. Friend applied to Durham with AAB prediction, so that's fine as well. The other two I don't know.

Avoid using Kent as an 'insurance' choice (literally, and not from UCAS) and thinking you'll get in on clearing when things go bad. Kent is notoriously oversubscribed by virtue of being the only respectable university in that region so it absorbs all the kids. This current academic year they had a clearing/adjustment requirement of a minimum of A*A*A. That said basically all universities in the south are oversubscribed one way or another so make sure you have a more northern option. All good southern non-Russell unis are basically closed for clearing/adjustment so don't count on them to save you. This year Surrey didn't even open clearing/adjustment.

If you want a shot at LSE with AAA, consider an EPQ. Especially sincne they do look at GCSE grades, so you really need to put something into your history (exclusive awards, work experience, or even A*s) in order to get in on your GCSE history.

Thanks so much I’m actually doing the EPQ so that should hopefully help my application and in terms of Kent I’m actually applying for it on my initial application and then choosing it as my insurance hopefully I should get a place there through this
Original post by DiligentBop
Long story short, I didn’t revise nowhere near enough for my GCSE and in the end I ended up with very bad grades of 4 Bs 4 Cs 1 D and 1 E( missed an exam)
In sixth form however I really buckled down and have got myself in the position where I am predicted 3 As for my alevels and acheived a B in my sole As; which I am resitting to get a better grade
Warwick for Politics AAA
Durham for Politics AAA
I’m just wondering how likely i am to get into my chosen unis especially Warwick or Durham as those are the ones I’m realistically hoping to enter.

Agree with some of the replies above. I think it really depends on the course. I applied to LSE last year for BSc. Economics with predicted grades of A*AA and GCSEs of A*-B (with relevant work experience) yet they still rejected me, clearly quoting:

"The feedback we have received from the Admissions Selector indicates that your application was unsuccessful as a consequence of the highly competitive GCSE (or equivalent) performance of other applicants this year.

LSE receives a large number of applications per place and admission to the school is highly competitive. Whilst all the information on your application has been considered, and although your GCSE (or equivalent) grades are strong, they are not as competitive as those achieved by similar applicants this year."

But then again, you'll have to consider the fact that I applied to one of the most, if not the most, competitive and highly subscribed course at LSE so it may be different if you're applying to Government.

In my opinion, I think you'll be better off applying elsewhere like the others you mentioned since they'll be more lenient, don't waste a choice on LSE if you think it's a "long-shot" - it's better to have 5 offers so that you have more of a choice in the end. But speak to some people at LSE, I know they do a student shadowing scheme every year so if you apply to that you'll get the chance to ask your questions - or more simply drop the graduate admissions office an email.
Original post by Jozanic
Agree with some of the replies above. I think it really depends on the course. I applied to LSE last year for BSc. Economics with predicted grades of A*AA and GCSEs of A*-B (with relevant work experience) yet they still rejected me, clearly quoting:

"The feedback we have received from the Admissions Selector indicates that your application was unsuccessful as a consequence of the highly competitive GCSE (or equivalent) performance of other applicants this year.

LSE receives a large number of applications per place and admission to the school is highly competitive. Whilst all the information on your application has been considered, and although your GCSE (or equivalent) grades are strong, they are not as competitive as those achieved by similar applicants this year."

But then again, you'll have to consider the fact that I applied to one of the most, if not the most, competitive and highly subscribed course at LSE so it may be different if you're applying to Government.

In my opinion, I think you'll be better off applying elsewhere like the others you mentioned since they'll be more lenient, don't waste a choice on LSE if you think it's a "long-shot" - it's better to have 5 offers so that you have more of a choice in the end. But speak to some people at LSE, I know they do a student shadowing scheme every year so if you apply to that you'll get the chance to ask your questions - or more simply drop the graduate admissions office an email.

Thanks for the reply! I also think because it’s a Government course I should be able to sneak onto the course especially as it has around a 35% acceptance rate compared with more prestigious LSE course which have below 5%
I'd disagree with not applying for a longshot. I think you should use at least one of the choice precisely for something that is a gamble. I mean, it's 5 choices!

Use 1 as a gamble and one as a conservative choice to use as your official insurance. The other 3, suit them to your predictions. Any other unis can probably be used for clearing/adjustment.
I'm in the exact same position! (except with Nat 5s not GCSEs)
BUUT 1.) Some universities may not mind as long as you get good grades this year and do lots of work experience or voluntary work related to the degree etc. Before you lose hope, I've heard of (VERY RARE) cases where people have gotten into uni with very bad or no A Levels at all so it's definitely worth a shot!
2.) You could do a HNC or any other type of access course, as long as you get good grades this year and in that qualification, you should be accepted with open arms!
3.) No matter what people say or how bad you feel about it, it rrly is just worth a try, if you didn't even apply this year you'd always have that "What if?" Question in the back of your mind, also you should contact the unis and see what they advise you do, eg I know a guy that did a Travel and Tourism course at uni, he had bad grades so the uni recommended that he went on a gap year doing lots of traveling, after completing this he was accepted! 😊😊 So yeah don't lose hope!! 😊😊
Original post by DiligentBop
Warwick for Politics AAA
Durham for Politics AAA

Well done on turning things around like that, that's amazing! Keep going, those good A-level grades will be so valuable to you :smile:
As long as your GCSEs match the GCSE requirements listed on UCAS you should stand a good chance. They'll look at other things as well like your personal statement and EPQ such to decide between you and other candidates. If you're predicted all As at A level then I'd be very surprised if you got 5 rejections.
Hopefully, your Bs are in Maths and English language or I doubt you are going to get into those universities.
Original post by BigDik25
Hopefully, your Bs are in Maths and English language or I doubt you are going to get into those universities.

Actually they are B in English language maths biology and RE
C in chem physics IT and English lit
D in media and E in history due to missed exam
Original post by Retired_Messiah
As long as your GCSEs match the GCSE requirements listed on UCAS you should stand a good chance. They'll look at other things as well like your personal statement and EPQ such to decide between you and other candidates. If you're predicted all As at A level then I'd be very surprised if you got 5 rejections.

Thanks for the reply I’m going to just go for it worse case scenario I should be accepted to Nottingham which is still a very respectable RG uni
Original post by Captain Jack
Well done on turning things around like that, that's amazing! Keep going, those good A-level grades will be so valuable to you :smile:

Thanks for the kind words!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending