The Student Room Group

Optometry Foundation Year

Hi,
Could someone please list universities in England which offer a foundation science year which could then lead on to an optometry/orthoptics degree
Thanks in advance x
Original post by Sweetheart<3
Hi,
Could someone please list universities in England which offer a foundation science year which could then lead on to an optometry/orthoptics degree
Thanks in advance x

cardiff offers one, i m struggling to find others that are just foundation years for optometry there are many health profession foundation years available, they could be an option perhaps.
Original post by claireestelle
cardiff offers one, i m struggling to find others that are just foundation years for optometry there are many health profession foundation years available, they could be an option perhaps.

Yeah, I don't mean specific to optometry. Do you know any general science/healthcare foundation years which could lead to an optometry degree? Thank you
Yeah, I don't mean specific to optometry. Do you know any general science/healthcare foundation years which could lead to an optometry degree? Thank you

If you look up health profession foundation years it should bring up a few options for you :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
If you look up health profession foundation years it should bring up a few options for you :smile:

I know Manchester, Aston and Bradford offer science foundation years which lead to optometry but I just wanted to make sure it was right.
I know Manchester, Aston and Bradford offer science foundation years which lead to optometry but I just wanted to make sure it was right.

As long as they mention directly that profession onto optometry is an option you should be fine.
I'm studying applied medical sciences foundation degree at Ulster university that is accepted onto Optometry.
Hi,
Thanks in advance x

Hi,
I am an optometry student at Plymouth. There's a few people on my course who have done foundation year biology with Plymouth University and then have progressed/transferred onto Optometry first year. Might be worth emailing the optometry department at Plymouth to find out more.

Could you give a link for the manchester foundation year please, im not sure which one it is
Original post by ttaylor17
Could you give a link for the manchester foundation year please, im not sure which one it is

Sorry for the late reply. Manchester did offer a foundation year in previous years called 'Life Sciences with a foundation year' which offered progression onto Optometry. However, that course has now been changed to 'Biosciences with a foundation year' and as far as I know no longer allows one to progress onto Optometry.
hello i know this is two years late, but can u show tell me how to get into a foundation course for bradford for optometry please.
There's an access course that The Manchester College do that I did to get into Optometry at Manchester, check it out
hey i was wondering if anyone could send me the link for the foundation year that leads in to optometry for ulster university and bradford university because i cant seem to fine the course
Reply 13
Hi there, Just wondering if you are now doing an optometry degree as I am in the same situation; looking for a foundation year course to get onto a optometry degree. Thanks
Reply 14
Hi there, Just wondering if you are now doing an optometry degree as I am in the same situation; looking for a foundation science year to get onto a optometry degree. If so which uni Thanks
Original post by 7861x
Hi there, Just wondering if you are now doing an optometry degree as I am in the same situation; looking for a foundation science year to get onto a optometry degree. If so which uni Thanks

Hi I’m in the same situation, I’ve applied for Hertfordshire which is basically a 4 year course including foundation and city offers a 1 year course which you could apply for too!
Original post by 7861x

hey i know this is probably cutting it a bit short because the last day for ucas submission is in 2 days but the foundation courses i found where
-Hertfordshire - only down fall is you do the foundation year at a college and no accommodation is available in the area as it in Islington and you'd have to commute everyday from Hertfordshire accommodation to Islington unless you get private in the area however it would be expensive .... and i didn't like the area as well as the college
-City of London - but once again they are in the same area as the college that you would do the foundation year at Hertfordshire
- Aston- foundation year in heath science
- Huddersfield - extended degree in science that will lead you into it
- UWE bristol - they have low entry requirements
hope that helpsxx
Reply 17
Original post by Landycose
hello i know this is two years late, but can u show tell me how to get into a foundation course for bradford for optometry please.

Hi me too i want to study optometry helppp x
Original post by ttaylor17
There's an access course that The Manchester College do that I did to get into Optometry at Manchester, check it out

what is the name of the course please i want to do optometry with Manchester but i dont have the science a levels and need to do a foundation year

Quick Reply

Latest