The Student Room Group

Can i apply for cpr twice?

So i was studying medicine with a foundation year (6 years) in 2020. I had to suspend studies during my fy in 2020 due to schizophrenia/psychotic episode which lasted months. I returned in 2022 and sucessfully did the foundation year. Im now doing my 1st year but plan on dropping out as ive been struggling living away from home without family support for my mental illness. I had recently applied for cpr to support my repeat of the foundation year in 2022. I wanted to ask if I would be eligible for student finance cpr for the first year of medicine even though im applying for the second time? I plan to study optometry at a local university (4 years). If my cpr is granted, will i have enough funding for the 4 years of optometry?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by AlevelReject68
So i was studying medicine with a foundation year (6 years) in 2020. I had to suspend studies during my fy in 2020 due to schizophrenia/psychotic episode which lasted months. I returned in 2022 and sucessfully did the foundation year. Im now doing my 1st year but plan on dropping out as ive been struggling living away from home without family support for my mental illness. I had recently applied for cpr to support my repeat of the foundation year in 2022. I wanted to ask if I would be eligible for student finance cpr for the first year of medicine even though im applying for the second time? I plan to study optometry at a local university (4 years). If my cpr is granted, will i have enough funding for the 4 years of optometry?

Hi there,

In total, it sounds like you have three years of previous study, is that right? So, you've done the foundation year twice and then first year?

Thanks, Graeme
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

In total, it sounds like you have three years of previous study, is that right? So, you've done the foundation year twice and then first year?

Thanks, Graeme

Yes
Original post by AlevelReject68
Yes

Okay, so in this case yes - you can submit evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) for not completing the course. If that's all acceptable we will award you an additional year of funding.

This means that, due to your previous study, you'll be entitled to funding for all years of a new Optometry course, with the exception of the first year. Due to your previous study you won't be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan in the first year, though you'll still get the Maintenance Loan.

However, you have some options. You could send CPR evidence for the repeat of your foundation year too: if that's acceptable that can give you another additional year.

Alternatively, it may be possible to do the first year as a part-time student: most Optometry courses are exceptions when studied part-time so you'd get the Tuition Fee Loan that way.

Either way, if you have a particular university in mind we'd definitely suggest talking about this with them directly.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending