The Student Room Group

Can you perceive yourself differently to how others perceive you?

Poll

Can you perceive yourself differently to how others perceive you?

I often berate myself for having 'no social skills or friends'. I have Aspergers and ins it constantly hard to engage in most social situations that people would find easy.

One of my Facebook 'friends' wrote to me when I was saying that I was lonely

'You have plenty of friends ****** you need to remember that. And you're so cherished and loved- see yourself through our eyes and then you'll see how great you are.

Lots of love ****** xxxx'

When they say 'see yourself through our eyes...', it really got me thinking - even though I feel a certain way about myself, can others perceive me in a different way? Is this a nice message to have received and do you think that I genuinely have friends/people who like me/people who think positively/nice things about me?

I can never tell.

I often fall in to long periods of self-isolation. I'm really focused on my own things such as studies and personal development in these peroids that I naturally tend to hide away from others.

It's only occasionally, after perhaps a couple of weeks of that do I start becoming conscious of my comparative lack of social engagement.

I want to be social, however, naturally I am not, and perhaps when I am under a lot of academic pressure, I become so conscious of the fact that I may not have properly spoken to people for a while.

Despite that - can people still like you or think different you of you (compared to how you perceived yourself) even if you don't regurally speak to them?
Reply 1
Mods, please if possible could you keep this in Chat so that I could get more replies?
Reply 2
??
Reply 3
It's all quite social sciencey in my opinion. (Yes I know 'sciencey' isn't a word)! Because of our up bringing we have different norms (what is right and wrong), which then brings in the question: does this effect how we see the world.

in many cases yes. If you look at capitalist they think that the 'posh tots' are top dog. So this makes them think little of everyone else. (Stuck up ____)

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.

My question to you is: how do you see yourself? I see myself as a kind, lovely, emotional person. My friends call me the Mad Hatter! Just because we see different sides of the same person doesn't mean we see a different person.

When we're with certain people different personalities or characteristics shine through. I suppose you could say we're all have a little split personality. But it shows all the good in you.

if you think about your school classes, your teacher could always tell who the trouble makers were because of who they used to hang out with. Now if you apply that to yourself and you not understanding friends you will probably get confused.

So another question for you is: what is a friend?

Hope this isn't too confusing!
Pix
Reply 4
What has Trump got to do with this??
Reply 5
Oh dear 😂
Reply 6
Do you think that I have friends?
Reply 7
I'd say yes. But then I don't know you. All you need to know is that everyone sees a different side of yo that you didn't know was there.
I feel like I've read this before...

Anyway I see myself differently than how others see me. I think I'm alright but no one else does. 😢
Reply 9
Definitely. My mates think I'm sound but I have a deep-seated self-loathing that means I am harder work for myself than I am for other people.

Quick Reply

Latest