The Student Room Group

Economics at LSE, UCL, Warwick A LEVEL Options

I'm in year 11 and need to choose my A-Levels.I want to study Economics at a top Uni, as stated in the title, and I want to see your opinions on them. Some of them are A levels, and 2 of them are Pre U (Cambridge) qualifications, and also one AS level which I will take for one year only. Also, I have a slight concern with Pre U Further Maths. I'm very good at maths (IGCSE year early and got 95% and most probably will get A for FSMQ Add Maths).
Am I good enough?

Pre U Maths -- Pre U Further maths -- A2 Economics -- A2 Spanish -- AS Chemistry
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What does Pre U Maths mean? Does it account as an A Level.
Reply 2
Original post by sturdy swifter
What does Pre U Maths mean? Does it account as an A Level.

Yeah it's basically an A-level. The grade system is different but it's regarded as the same qualification level.
So you are taking 5? Wow, good luck...
Reply 4

At my school, we have to choose 3 A2/Pre U and 1 AS level. Maths and FM are one Pre U option, but give you two qualifications at the end of it all.
The best combination to cover all top economics courses is probably: Maths, Further Maths, History, Economics

If you couldn't take the above 4, A2 Combinations would be:
Most mathematical courses = Cambridge and LSE: Maths, FM and Econ
Slightly less mathematical = UCL and Warwick: Maths, FM and Econ probably best but FM/Econ could be replaced with History or physics
Oxford is much less mathematical and most take: Maths, Economics, History

Your options look fine tho
(edited 6 years ago)
Probably drop chemistry or Spanish and focus on the extra curricular things that will help you get into LSE like a lot of further reading on economics.

Having lots of A*s at A level is great but LSE will definitely be looking for future economic geniuses when making selections and for that you need to read around your subject so you can sound intelligent in an interview.

I've applied to Warwick this year to study PPE as my first choice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by FJ1209
I'm in year 11 and need to choose my A-Levels.I want to study Economics at a top Uni, as stated in the title, and I want to see your opinions on them. Some of them are A levels, and 2 of them are Pre U (Cambridge) qualifications, and also one AS level which I will take for one year only. Also, I have a slight concern with Pre U Further Maths. I'm very good at maths (IGCSE year early and got 95% and most probably will get A for FSMQ Add Maths).
Am I good enough?

Pre U Maths -- Pre U Further maths -- A2 Economics -- A2 Spanish -- AS Chemistry

That's fine and dandy. LSE will only count FM as a 4th A-level, which is ok for you.

What about considering Cambridge?
Reply 8
Original post by GovernmentEarner
The best combination to cover all top economics courses is probably: Maths, Further Maths, History, Economics

If you couldn't take the above 4, A2 Combinations would be:
Most mathematical courses = Cambridge and LSE: Maths, FM and Econ
Slightly less mathematical = UCL and Warwick: Maths, FM and Econ probably best but FM/Econ could be replaced with History or physics
Oxford is much less mathematical and most take: Maths, Economics, History

Your options look fine tho

Thanks for the advice. Would LSE or UCL accept AAAA in Maths, FM, Econ and Spanish with an A for AS Chem?
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
That's fine and dandy. LSE will only count FM as a 4th A-level, which is ok for you.

What about considering Cambridge?

Idk about Oxbridge. Too risky maybe, because it takes up a Uni choice, which I could instead use for say a Durham or Bristol.
Plus would I have the time to do all the further reading they want, and also a STEP exam too?
Reply 10
Original post by HoldThisL
Probably drop chemistry or Spanish and focus on the extra curricular things that will help you get into LSE like a lot of further reading on economics.

Having lots of A*s at A level is great but LSE will definitely be looking for future economic geniuses when making selections and for that you need to read around your subject so you can sound intelligent in an interview.

I've applied to Warwick this year to study PPE as my first choice.

I wish I could do that, but the only option I can drop is FM and I kinda need it to get into LSE and UCL I think. Plus, I enjoy Spanish, and Chemistry is only a one year course which I think I can get an A in.
Original post by FJ1209
I wish I could do that, but the only option I can drop is FM and I kinda need it to get into LSE and UCL I think. Plus, I enjoy Spanish, and Chemistry is only a one year course which I think I can get an A in.

That is fair enough.

I recently discovered the difficulty of taking an extra AS alongside my three A levels and decided to drop the AS so I figured it might be worth sharing that.
At A level do

Economics, Maths and Further Maths

Economics is a very mathy degree, even more so at LSE and Warwick. Lot's and lot's of calculus, derivatives, matrix algebra, solving equations, Logs etc. Not to mention game theory which has its own maths, and also Statistics which is different but fun, this will include econometrics i presume.
Reply 13
Original post by HoldThisL
That is fair enough.

I recently discovered the difficulty of taking an extra AS alongside my three A levels and decided to drop the AS so I figured it might be worth sharing that.

Yeah I bet it will be a pain. Thanks tho bro
Reply 14
Original post by Evil Genius
At A level do

Economics, Maths and Further Maths

Economics is a very mathy degree, even more so at LSE and Warwick. Lot's and lot's of calculus, derivatives, matrix algebra, solving equations, Logs etc. Not to mention game theory which has its own maths, and also Statistics which is different but fun, this will include econometrics i presume.

The annoying thing is, I have to take Further Maths as a fourth A level, so I need to take Chem or Spanish or soemthing else.
Original post by FJ1209
The annoying thing is, I have to take Further Maths as a fourth A level, so I need to take Chem or Spanish or soemthing else.

Take some banter subject which you know you have a good chance of scoring a high mark on. Business or accountancy or something, maybe even Physics if you like a challenge.

But lol at people saying take history, that's one subject that you literally don't need for a economics bsc.
Reply 16
Original post by Evil Genius
Take some banter subject which you know you have a good chance of scoring a high mark on. Business or accountancy or something, maybe even Physics if you like a challenge.

But lol at people saying take history, that's one subject that you literally don't need for a economics bsc.

I don't even do history GCSE so yeah, no lol. School doesn't do Business or Accountancy so probs Spanish :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by FJ1209
Idk about Oxbridge. Too risky maybe, because it takes up a Uni choice, which I could instead use for say a Durham or Bristol.
Plus would I have the time to do all the further reading they want, and also a STEP exam too?

You don't do STEP for Economics.

It's just one choice of your five, and if you include, say Cambridge and LSE in your 5 you will almost certainly have 3 offers, worst case scenario.

Most people get 4 offers...
Reply 18
Original post by FJ1209
Thanks for the advice. Would LSE or UCL accept AAAA in Maths, FM, Econ and Spanish with an A for AS Chem?

At full A-level? No. They both ask for A*AA and are unlikely to accept a missing grade.

If u do further maths at A2( second year) it needs to be a fourth a level for LSE or else they’ll reject u straight away regardless of what u grades u get. I know this because of an LSE summer school where I spoke to the undergrad application officer who said if u do maths, further maths and another subject, it’s not broad enough, so u need 4 a levels

Quick Reply

Latest