The Student Room Group

Man born white says he is transracial and feels Filipino

Scroll to see replies

People comparing this to transgender have to understand that being trans can be due to a neurological imbalance of certain chemicals so you perceive yourself as something you’re not, you can be born with this. You have to remember up to a certain point in the womb we are both the same sex, and things go wrong.

However this race scenario is simply not possible from birth, our brain can’t comprehend race at that age.

Although maybe the controversial comparison I believe personally, is that’s they are both forms of mental disability. Doesn’t mean it’s good or bad but I believe by the definition of a mental illness both fit, comparable to autism or Aspergers.

I personally think the idea of mental disability itself is flawed, but we won’t go into that.... but logically you can’t say e.g. autism is while trans isn’t.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
Ok.

What? :/ lol
Original post by loveleest
What? :/ lol

You said loads of black people like chicken but you dont, so i said ok. I am not keen on stereotyping.
Original post by Wired_1800
You said loads of black people like chicken but you dont, so i said ok. I am not keen on stereotyping.

It's a sterotype...so it doesn't apply to every black person which is why said not me
Original post by loveleest
It's a sterotype...so it doesn't apply to every black person which is why said not me

That's cool. I just don't like it.
I’m brown and I consider myself to be Icelandic.

Spoiler

Reply 126
Regardless of the "biological legitimacy" of people identifying as transgender or even as transracial (and the other absurd slippery slopes people think one could fall down with this) it's important to respect people's identities as silly as they may seem.
If someone wants to identify as something then it's hardly difficult to humour that identity even if you don't personally recognise it as legitimate.
They're doing no harm and most of the world is bizarre and socially constructed anyway so people may as well be free to explore themselves and their identities within that.
Original post by GovernmentEarner

Doesn’t mean it’s good or bad but I believe by the definition of a mental illness both fit, comparable to autism or Aspergers.

Neither autism nor being trans are mental illnesses. Being transgender does not inherently cause distress or harm to the person (a key criterion for classifying any mental illness), while autism spectrum disorders (including Asperger's) are neurological conditions.
Original post by dazee__
Because he's saying he feels a different race it just doesn't make any sense. At least transgender makes abit of sense but all in all transracial its just so funny its unreal on how dumb this is.

...But isn't transgender the same thing? E.g. a man saying he 'feels' like a woman, so he might feel the need to wear dresses/put on make-up, even though that's not biological to a woman... meaning it's based on a social construct (gender).

I bet you, in ten years or so, everyone will be defending someone's right to 'feel' like they're of a different race. (rofl)
IT started with people identifying as the gender they are NOT, now they're messing with race. IF you were born as a MALE you are a MALE, born as FEMALE you are a FEMALE! there are no "Female brains" in Male bodies and no "Male brains" in Female bodies! ITS BASIC BIOLOGY!!!!
Original post by JasonS.Vincenzo
IT started with people identifying as the gender they are NOT, now they're messing with race. IF you were born as a MALE you are a MALE, born as FEMALE you are a FEMALE! there are no "Female brains" in Male bodies and no "Male brains" in Female bodies! ITS BASIC BIOLOGY!!!!

Using caps lock and multiple exclamation marks won't make your incorrect science true.
Original post by Beth_H
Neither autism nor being trans are mental illnesses. Being transgender does not inherently cause distress or harm to the person (a key criterion for classifying any mental illness), while autism spectrum disorders (including Asperger's) are neurological conditions.

'Being Transgender does not inherently cause distress or harm' Really? So why are transgender people the section of society with the highest proportion of attempted (50%!) and successful suicides? Clearly that shows they don't want to be trans or they wan't society to accept them. I think that clearly qualifies as distress.

Mental illness is defined by the quality of life you have within the normal boundaries of society. Both transgender people and those with autism fit poorly into this boundary and whatever you want to call it 'illness, disability' the labels don't really matter. Both are fundamentally neurodevelopment disorders and they should be considered equally in that vain. I'm not proposing that transgender people shouldn't integrate (obviously). I think they should feel supported and shouldn't want to commit suicide. However, I don't think trans shouldn't be normalised, because it is, after all, a defect and we must recognise this, to help and treat trans people to accept who they are. Like we do those with autism etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Beth_H
Being transgender does not inherently cause distress

The very definition of dysphoria is unease with one's condition.
Original post by GovernmentEarner
'Being Transgender does not inherently cause distress or harm' Really? So why are transgender people the section of society with the highest proportion of attempted (50%!) and successful suicides? Clearly that shows they don't want to be trans or they wan't society to accept them. I think that clearly qualifies as distress.

Mental illness is defined by the quality of life you have within the normal boundaries of society. Both transgender people and those with autism fit poorly into this boundary and whatever you want to call it 'illness, disability' the labels don't really matter. Both are fundamentally neurodevelopment disorders and they should be considered equally in that vain. It does not mean they should be treated completely equally and I'm not proposing that transgender people shouldn't integrate (obviously). I think they should feel supported and shouldn't want to commit suicide. However, I don't think trans shouldn't be normalised, because it is, after all, a defect and we must recognise this, to help and treat trans people to accept who they are. Like we do those with autism etc.

This is so true, and even after they get their transformation surgery it doesnt help! its not because they are bullied, it is a mental illness. This man gets it, sure be trans, but dont make it a major thing. There are people that literally call themselves "transabled" that make themselves handicapped, this should never become a normal thing just like transgenderism. Not gonna stop you from doing it but once there is a massive movement and its a widespread mental disorder then someone needs to do something about it.
Original post by JasonS.Vincenzo
! there are no "Female brains" in Male bodies and no "Male brains" in Female bodies! ITS BASIC BIOLOGY!!!!

In as much as there's no such thing as a male or female brain, all brains are mosaics of structures, some more typical in males, some more typical in females. But, that's obviously not what you were intending to say, so I suppose instead the response is to point out that there's reason to suspect trans people have brains that function more in the manner of their experienced gender than their natal sex: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4037295/
Filipino isn't a race, it's a nationality. Anyone of any race could potentially become Filipino.
Who cares they’re not hurting people
I mean where do we draw the line? When do we ask "is this mental illness"?

The way things are going now, i could freely identify as a biogender, (lesbian on the weekend) dragonfly and people would HAVE to accept it and address me as such. We're literally forced to accept "trans" anything, they're shoving it down our throats. These days it seems like anyone who shuns trans anything should be fed to the lions. Freedom of speech is about to go out the window anytime now.

What actually is next? Transbiscuit? TransTFLBus? When can we start calling it ridiculous?
Had a lecture on (trans)gender today actually.
A child aged 6 is trans. Biologically a boy but is transgender because s(he) said s(he) feels like a girl simply because s(he) enjoys wearing girls clothes, playing with girls toys, having girl friends etc.

Is it really that different from someone saying they're transracial? I don't really understand it but it does kinda seem silly saying you are something simply because you enjoy doing certain things
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
In as much as there's no such thing as a male or female brain, all brains are mosaics of structures, some more typical in males, some more typical in females. But, that's obviously not what you were intending to say, so I suppose instead the response is to point out that there's reason to suspect trans people have brains that function more in the manner of their experienced gender than their natal sex: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4037295/

It is true brains are not 100% male or female. However, there is a distinct difference in the balance of chemicals that make up both the male and female brain. Hormone level is a well known example, one of thousands of differences. Those genuinely transgender have a strong imbalance in relation to their given sex organs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending