The Student Room Group

Can't decide between Oxford or Cambridge

I'm applying to these UNI's [oxford/cambridge, warwick, st andrews, durham, imperial, ucl] for courses in Maths/Physics

Might do physics for two years then switch to maths for my last year.

can't decide between oxford or cambridge but i have been preparing my ucas application regardless for both universities

I currently aim to have more than 15 engineering and physics/maths related work experiences
along with 2 super-curriculars (I am currently creating my own website - faithanalysis which is broad as it focuses on RE) also international work experience advocating for human rights in africa. I am a yemeni-ethiopian and I have worked in protecting the rights of women in education in my country - yemen.

PLEASE help me!

This is a late night post but I go to sleep everyday thinking where should I go?
Oxford or Cambridge?
I might also try to get a prestigious scholarship to MIT or Stanford!!

I have two years to go before I apply.

Scroll to see replies

Following
Please offer me some advice!! I'm stressing out already.
I only scored a 9 in the 2017 MAT
You’ve got 2 years wtf are you panicking on a forum for? Most people only make their final decision a few months before applying and AFTER they’ve visited the universities to see which one they prefer. Watch Stranger Things or something. Relax
No no no you mis understand what super circulars mean, such as with that website, you have extra curricular. :smile:

Super Circular = doing more in your desired subject. They won't care about you helping out in africa, it's useless really to a physics degree.

Also here is a surprising idea? If you're so keen to "the best" by going to one of these places why don't you act like it? Use your noggin, and do that wierd thing that all the best students do which is called research. Weigh things up from what you read, make an informed decision and realise you have 2 years and people make these decisions in fractions of that.

Only then can you ask specific things about what makes either better.

Original post by physicseastldn
Please offer me some advice!! I'm stressing out already.
I only scored a 9 in the 2017 MAT

Yeah that's because you haven't done AS level yet ...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DrSebWilkes
No no no you mis understand what super circulars mean, such as with that website, you have extra curricular. :smile:

Super Circular = doing more than your desired subject. They won't care about you helping out in africa, it's useless really to a physics degree.

Also here is a surprising idea? If you're so keen to "the best" by going to one of these places why don't you act like it? Use your noggin, and do that wierd thing that all the best students do which is called research. Weigh things up from what you read, make an informed decision and realise you have 2 years and people make these decisions in fractions of that.

Only then can you ask specific things about what makes either better.

I'd like to see you get your website officially supported by 4 other schools to your own and also present your idea to the majority of schools in your borough. My website is a super-curricular and my social media following has attracted the likes of DebateMate, Deborah Orr and Jeremy Corbyn himself.
I also have partnerships with Kingdom Ambassadors and I made their website.
Original post by VirgoStrain
You’ve got 2 years wtf are you panicking on a forum for? Most people only make their final decision a few months before applying and AFTER they’ve visited the universities to see which one they prefer. Watch Stranger Things or something. Relax

I honestly really can't
I'd like to see you get your website officially supported by 4 other schools to your own and also present your idea to the majority of schools in your borough. My website is a super-curricular and my social media following has attracted the likes of DebateMate, Deborah Orr and Jeremy Corbyn himself.
I also have partnerships with Kingdom Ambassadors and I made their website.

Take that attitude in an interview and you can kiss Oxbridge good bye. You are showing an inflexible mind by not trying to understand anything I said.

Enjoy Jeremy Corbyn when he forgets about you and your project after 5 minutes.
Since you're doing real subjects like Maths and Physics, you should really hold off on these decisions because you're going to learn so much this year (and probably have already) which will make you realise a whole lot of things and understand your subjects a lot more. You can make better informed uni choices nearer the time - it still ends up being the exact same prep at this stage so clam.
NB: just read op again. So you haven't even got to penultimate year yet. Definitely wait. Next year you will learn more than you did in the past 3 years in your subjects if you really do care about them.
this is a trainwreck, following af
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Take that attitude in an interview and you can kiss Oxbridge good bye. You are showing an inflexible mind by not trying to understand anything I said.

Enjoy Jeremy Corbyn when he forgets about you and your project after 5 minutes.

You are not the admissions department at Oxbridge.
Sorry for offending you
You are not the admissions department at Oxbridge.
Sorry for offending you

*sigh* I may not be but I think I know a thing or two about how it works, at least more than you anyway but then apparently that's not saying much.

Showing a willingness to learn and use your ability is what gets people in, not some weird obsession that means nothing.
I guess I am quite defensive when it comes to my applications. I have always aspired to be the best applicant ever. I was recently rejected from both Westminster and Harrow school despite how well I thought I did in my exams. This was quite a shock when Eton offered me an interview and then consequently an offer on the basis I take computer science for A-level.
It is really hard to determine where I am actually going with my life. I might well choose to either go to Latymer and pursue my goals in the city (it is a more realistic distance to prospective work experience options)

I can't decide what to focus on... Oxford or Cambridge? I have to focus on one to make my application perfect!
Original post by carpetguy
Since you're doing real subjects like Maths and Physics, you should really hold off on these decisions because you're going to learn so much this year (and probably have already) which will make you realise a whole lot of things and understand your subjects a lot more. You can make better informed uni choices nearer the time - it still ends up being the exact same prep at this stage so clam.
NB: just read op again. So you haven't even got to penultimate year yet. Definitely wait. Next year you will learn more than you did in the past 3 years in your subjects if you really do care about them.

I have 4 completed gcses already however there was a dispute between one of my sixth form colleges when I announced I am taking 3 maths gcses at the same time (IGCSE Edexcel, GCSE Edexcel, FSMQ AQA)
Does this show my passion for maths or just my need for extra qualifications?
PLEASE help me!

Do some research into how many places each college has for international applicants.

You will be 'up against it'.
I just knew this thread was made by you!

You are really dedicated to your studies, I'm sure you'll be set for life by 20 or something and did you delete your WS thread?
I have 4 completed gcses already however there was a dispute between one of my sixth form colleges when I announced I am taking 3 maths gcses at the same time (IGCSE Edexcel, GCSE Edexcel, FSMQ AQA)

No this just shows you don't understand how GCSEs work. To be fair I'm willing to be corrected here but I'm very sure that taking different exam boards is still effectively the same qualification so doesn't mean you're picking up anything new. Instead, there are people doing AS or even A-level maths in year 11. There is someone in my class who has done that and he isn't the most talented person by his own admission but he enjoyed doing maths.

I'm sorry but you are all "I want XYZ" and all show with little substance ... this is not going to end well. You have failed to do research, failed to take advice, failed to understand what even counts for Oxbridge and by the sounds of failed to even understand what direction to take your studies.

I have always aspired to be the best applicant ever. his was quite a shock when Eton offered me an interview and then consequently an offer on the basis I take computer science for A-level.

I have to focus on one to make my application perfect!

Do you have any idea how pretentious this sounds? Do you have any idea how naive this sounds?

EDIT: You probably are really good and hard working but you need to focus, and change your mind set if you want to get into Oxford and be successful.
Honestly just stop doing all that pointless stuff and get solving some physics problems on issac physics. Properly prepare for the AS challenge in physics and the SMC for maths to have super curricular achievements in your personal statement. Those sorta papers are actually really fun too, I wish I got to do the SMC.

It shows ability and passion, but A-Level maths is where there’ll really look when they decide on an offer anyway, since GCSE isn’t too difficult. Also, you need to be an all rounder. Sure you can be good at maths, but if maths related subjects are the only ones you get top grades on you’ll be seen as inflexible. Focus on doing well in your language/arts/humanities GCSE’s if you can.
(edited 6 years ago)
OH AND I JUST REMEMBERED: Oxford (idk about Cambridge) don't even care about work experience: they want to see you having done extra reading, and super curricular activities LIKE ^^ said such as the maths challenge.

Latest

Trending

Trending