The Student Room Group

How to become a Maths Teacher ?

First year economics student want to become a Maths teacher at GCSE level.

I only have Maths to GCSE Level grade A.

I do not have an A Level in Maths.

Will I get on to a PGCE Secondary Maths course?
Reply 1
How did you get onto an Economics degree without A level Maths?!
Original post by Zach3
How did you get onto an Economics degree without A level Maths?!

Hardwork and fantastic Level grades
Reply 3
Original post by mattymoo432

Yes it's possible but you may be questioned quite heavily about it in your PGCE interview. Have you considered learning A Level maths while on your degree? If you're considering a career as a maths teacher then it seems obvious to me that you should be doing A Level maths first if you have the time.

Hardwork and fantastic Level grades
Given the shortage in Maths teachers I wouldn't be surprised.

I've moved your thread into this sub-forum so you should get the advice you're after.:wink:

But you're already in good hands with @Notnek:h:
Why not give the Get into Teaching line a ring?

You'd get on a PGCE but you will probably be expected to take a subject knowledge enhancement course first. This shouldn't be a problem as you will be paid to do it.
Original post by Mr M
You'd get on a PGCE but you will probably be expected to take a subject knowledge enhancement course first. This shouldn't be a problem as you will be paid to do it.

I have emailed a university of interest that responded that I'd need to take A Level Maths before they'd accept me. Very gutted. I'm about to message more universities and see what they say.

Economics Grad with AS-Maths now Maths Teacher (change in direction).

Yes you can do it assuming there is enough Maths in your course. Probably have to do an SKE (I did) which is a good thing, you get paid, it is really usefully at a good provider.

You will need to be prepared to answer "Why Maths?" but as said there is a shortage of Maths teachers, so with a good degree you will be snapped up. Looks like you only want to teach KS3 and 4, which there are plenty of schools for, some 11-18 schools have competition to teach their A-Level classes.

Since you are a first year make sure to get as much school experience in a variety of schools as you can!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by The Beaver
Economics Grad with AS-Maths now Maths Teacher (change in direction).

Yes you can do it assuming there is enough Maths in your course. Probably have to do an SKE (I did) which is a good thing, you get paid, it is really usefully at a good provider.

You will need to be prepared to answer "Why Maths?" but as said there is a shortage of Maths teachers, so with a good degree you will be snapped up. Looks like you only want to teach KS3 and 4, which there are plenty of schools for, some 11-18 schools have competition to teach their A-Level classes.

Since you are a first year make sure to get as much school experience in a variety of schools as you can!

Cheers for the reply!

You would be a great person for me to talk to in more detail, if that's okay?

Could you please email me?
(edited 6 years ago)
Cheers for the reply!

You would be a great person for me to talk to in more detail, if that's okay?

Could you please email me:

Word of advice. Never put your email on the forum. If you need to contact someone then send them a private message
Original post by Skyewoods
Word of advice. Never put your email on the forum. If you need to contact someone then send them a private message

Why?
Why?

Initially your email could be spammed or used to sign up for other things you would never sign up for.

On the other end it could mess you up. I know your initial and surname. With that information and your IP I can find out who you are, where you live, where you go to school, what you look like and use information on you to turn your life upside down.
Hey, so i'm final year economics and going into ITT for maths. My offered was based on my maths a level and experiences. What i would say is talk to providers and mainly focus on maths modules such as econometric methods to show you are confident with maths anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending