The Student Room Group

I cant accept the fact that I’m not the most intelligent

For some reason, it really hurts me - knowing that I’m not the most intelligent in the class.
For example, in maths, I work so excessively hard. And I’m usually pleased with my results, obtaining As (I’m in year 12), but there will always be people who get a few marks higher than me and I always get so frustrated.

I also participated in the maths challenge, and I was really keen on doing it for my personal statement. Today, my teacher was congratulating this boy on how well he did and how he’s on round 2 of this maths challenge. I don’t know why I’m so furious and jealous. I try so hard, but I can never catch up to them.
Sometimes in life I wish I didn’t care about my education as much because this comparison that I keep making with my classmates kills me.
I just feel like I have to be the best and I don’t know why.
Reply 1
Don’t worry. I was a bellow average student( bottom of my class in Math), and just retired very successful and wealthy. You can still be do very well in your future career.
And this is exactly why school is toxic. We are made to believe that good grades = successful and we're also forced to compare ourselves to others. The reality is that it does not matter. There are students who get amazing grades and are very talented yet they end up sweeping floors in Asda. On the other hand, there are people who have dropped out of school or never even went to uni and they ended up becoming millionaires with almost zero qualifications. If you're obtaining As then be happy about that. You don't need full marks in everything to succeed in life. And also, there will always be people who are better than you in some areas. There's nothing you can do. Just accept it and as I said, just because these people get better grades it does not necessarily mean they'll become more successful. A grade is just a letter on a piece of paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending