The Student Room Group

Can I get from an D to a C in A level Maths?

Only a few months left until the exam (yikes!). I'm predicted a D(Distinction), B, D and I would love to get myself to an D*BC. However Maths is a difficult subject.

For context, I didn't find myself too bad in Maths until recently. Year 13 stuff I found so much better than Year 12. Problem was, the Mocks was horrible! Absolutely atrocious! It was made by a teacher that is crazy about maths and has a brain of an Oxbridge kind of professor! So I studied hard to get my predicted grade up but ended up with barely a D. The test paper was harder than a proper A level paper and unfair; and so was my teacher as they told us to study for the wrong year (idk how that happened but anyways-).

Currently, I'm struggling a lot in Year 2 Integration and Differentiation but all the other topics is a walk in the park.

From a D to a C is a huge jump, the only thing I do for revision is practice papers and starting from the easier questions in revision topics if a question relating to a topic on a paper was hard for me.

What is a better way of revision? Something that is readily available for me to do, as I have many other things to do - I want to get revision over and done with so that I can move to other subjects or go about my life.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by What_Wait_A_Min
Only a few months left until the exam (yikes!). I'm predicted a D(Distinction), B, D and I would love to get myself to an D*BC. However Maths is a difficult subject.

For context, I didn't find myself too bad in Maths until recently. Year 13 stuff I found so much better than Year 12. Problem was, the Mocks was horrible! Absolutely atrocious! It was made by a teacher that is crazy about maths and has a brain of an Oxbridge kind of professor! So I studied hard to get my predicted grade up but ended up with barely a D. The test paper was harder than a proper A level paper and unfair; and so was my teacher as they told us to study for the wrong year (idk how that happened but anyways-).

Currently, I'm struggling a lot in Year 2 Integration and Differentiation but all the other topics is a walk in the park.

From a D to a C is a huge jump, the only thing I do for revision is practice papers and starting from the easier questions in revision topics if a question relating to a topic on a paper was hard for me.

What is a better way of revision? Something that is readily available for me to do, as I have many other things to do - I want to get revision over and done with so that I can move to other subjects or go about my life.

Hi, I have a pdf of the maths textbook that my school uses and I go through the questions on there as a start and use websites like DrFrostMaths that give you exam questions based on topic and you can do them as many times until you're good at the topic. Or, I simply search the topic and find random websites with free exam questions. Then I'd use questions from MadAsMaths which become more difficult to build a more solid understanding. The videos on youtube are very helpful - TLMaths is quite good. Of course, exam papers are a must too and I'm pretty sure you can even ask your teachers for exam papers or question sheets that they can email you. I've done so before and they've complied and it was always really helpful.

Getting a better grade is definitely possible, you just need to go at it continuously and the more you revise, the easier it gets and the more you begin to like it. Wishing you the best!

Quick Reply

Latest