The Student Room Group

Can you resit GCSE English 9-1 in 2018 if you sat it in 2017?

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by VirgoStrain
If I were to do so I assume it would count as a resit since I'm redoing the same qualification on the new reformed GCSE? It's with AQA. It's my worst GCSE result by far (a 6 in one of the papers, 7 overall - one of only 2 B's in got in terms of unit exams, but I didn't get anything below an A at GCSE anyway).

Slightly confused. So you sat the exams in June 2017 when they were reformed, and now you wish to sit them again?

That’s, fine. I’m unsure of why it would be an issue.

Unless you’re saying you sat them when they were graded A*-E? In which case, you’ll still be resitting on the reformed spec, which will be 9-1.
I sat the 9-1 (not A*-G) this year, but would like to resit that for a better grade. I was wondering if doing it again a year later counted as a resit.

Ahh, yep. If you’re resitting the same qualification it’s a resit, they’re typically done a year later anyway. 😊
Can I ask another? If I were to sit my RE again on the reformed system (9-1) would that replace my grade on the A*-G system I got this year or would it count as 2 separate GCSE’s? I’m not too familiar with the resit system.

It would act as a replacement for the previous one - And depending on the exam board, usually it’s your most recent one (not your highest one) that counts.

Meaning if you got a B in RE then reset to get a 4 (Equiv. to a low C) you’d then just have a 4 in the subject.

Hope this helps!
If I were to do so I assume it would count as a resit since I'm redoing the same qualification on the new reformed GCSE? It's with AQA. It's my worst GCSE result by far (a 6 in one of the papers, 7 overall - one of only 2 B's in got in terms of unit exams, but I didn't get anything below an A at GCSE anyway).

Why are you concerned with a 7 at GCSE?

Focus on your A-levels. Resitting English would serve no benefit to you.
Original post by FloralHybrid
It would act as a replacement for the previous one - And depending on the exam board, usually it’s your most recent one (not your highest one) that counts.

Meaning if you got a B in RE then reset to get a 4 (Equiv. to a low C) you’d then just have a 4 in the subject.

Hope this helps!

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. As far as I'm aware the OP would have 2 GCSEs in RS, from which they may use their highest grades. Resits do not overwrite previous results.

Though I wouldn't advise what the OP is doing.
Original post by _gcx
I'm pretty sure this isn't true. As far as I'm aware the OP would have 2 GCSEs in RS, from which they may use their highest grades. Resits do not overwrite previous results.

Though I wouldn't advise what the OP is doing.

It depends on the exam board. For AQA Maths, if you for some reason we’re to get a B and resit to a C - The C would be the qualification you’ve got. Same applies to A-Level, any modules you resit, it’s the most recent one that counts. Some are different though, I think some OCR content may be a case of you get to pick the highest, as you say.

But I do know you can’t have 2 GCSE’s in the same thing, even if you did sit them twice.
You couldn’t get an A and a B in History and claim to have 2 History GCSE’s.
Original post by FloralHybrid
It depends on the exam board. For AQA Maths, if you for some reason we’re to get a B and resit to a C - The C would be the qualification you’ve got. Same applies to A-Level, any modules you resit, it’s the most recent one that counts. Some are different though, I think some OCR content may be a case of you get to pick the highest, as you say.

But I do know you can’t have 2 GCSE’s in the same thing, even if you did sit them twice.
You couldn’t get an A and a B in History and claim to have 2 History GCSE’s.

I'm sure the OP would receive 2 different certificates with 2 different grades, (unless this has changed since last year) and for modules, the highest sitting used to count. (but exams aren't modular anymore so this is irrelevant)
Original post by _gcx
I'm sure the OP would receive 2 different certificates with 2 different grades, (unless this has changed since last year) and for modules, the highest sitting used to count. (but exams aren't modular anymore so this is irrelevant)

Indeed, they would receive 2 certificates to show both the original and the resit, but it would not fully count as a second GCSE, just a resit of an already-obtained qualification.
Because I’m planning on applying for oxbridge and other top unis? I have good grades but my English was the one that let me down.

And? A 7 is a good grade...

Your time would be better spent smashing your A-levels than fussing about an A equiv. in english.
I am doing that... I’ve got a huge volume of after school activities however by mid March they’ll virtually all be gone which will leave me with a LOT of free time compared with what I have now (which is a decent amount but only free periods and some evenings). I reckon I can start really getting down to hard revision by March but I will be doing all that I can to stay on top. Maths is a priority as I’m doing the full a level this year.

Well if you really want to resit, go ahead. It won't help you in any way.

From what I've seen in other threads your GCSEs are pretty competitive already. No need to resit any or take extras.
Yep but I feel like the GCSE’s I missed out on top marks for were some of the more important ones - mainly English lit and chemistry.

While you're understandably disappointed, they're in the past now.

Quick Reply

Latest