The Student Room Group

Is dropping Chemistry A-Level a good idea? HELP??!

Hi,
So for my a-levels I'm taking Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Computer Science, Chemistry and EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). And I'm applying for Oxford University where I want to study Mathematics and Computer Science. So on top of these 4 subjects and the EPQ (btw this is compulsory to do so I can't drop it) I'm focusing on the admissions test which I'll take in October to get into Oxford. So since I don't want to study Chemistry at Uni, would it be in my best interest to drop it so that I can focus on the subjects that I'll do at Uni? I guess I'm just worried that Further Maths and Maths won't be classed as separate A-Levels for other Universities (you know just in case I don't get into Oxford). So I'll be left a Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science A-Level with an EPQ.

Any advise/inputs would be deeply appreciated
Thanks
Original post by Akatsuki_OBrien
Hi,
So for my a-levels I'm taking Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Computer Science, Chemistry and EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). And I'm applying for Oxford University where I want to study Mathematics and Computer Science. So on top of these 4 subjects and the EPQ (btw this is compulsory to do so I can't drop it) I'm focusing on the admissions test which I'll take in October to get into Oxford. So since I don't want to study Chemistry at Uni, would it be in my best interest to drop it so that I can focus on the subjects that I'll do at Uni? I guess I'm just worried that Further Maths and Maths won't be classed as separate A-Levels for other Universities (you know just in case I don't get into Oxford). So I'll be left a Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science A-Level with an EPQ.

Any advise/inputs would be deeply appreciated
Thanks

What are your grades like?
Original post by hsalika
What are your grades like?

Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

I've just started my A-Levels so they haven't taught me much of the content, but in 4 months my graded are:
Maths A*
Further Maths (haven't learnt any content)
Computer Science A
Chemistry B
Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

I've just started my A-Levels so they haven't taught me much of the content, but in 4 months my graded are:
Maths A*
Further Maths (haven't learnt any content)
Computer Science A
Chemistry B

Oxford requirements:
A*AA with the A* in Mathematics, Further Mathematics or Computing/Computer Science.

Therefore, you don't need chemistry and so far it seems to be your weakest subject.

If you do feel like dropping it, there should be no problem as long as you meet the required grades.

So its really up to you.
Original post by hsalika
Oxford requirements:
A*AA with the A* in Mathematics, Further Mathematics or Computing/Computer Science.

Therefore, you don't need chemistry and so far it seems to be your weakest subject.

If you do feel like dropping it, there should be no problem as long as you meet the required grades.

So its really up to you.

Ok thanks
Seems like you should just drop it

Look into what other uni's require for what you want to study.
Reply 6
As posted above by hsalika, Oxford Maths and Computer Science offers are based on three A-levels, including Maths and preferably Further Maths; it would be very unusual for a fourth A-level to be included in the offer. If you want to and feel you are capable of doing more than three A-levels without risking making the standard offer grades then by all means do so, but we'd rather see you focus on three A-levels and do really well in them than do four and perhaps miss a grade.

We strongly recommend Further Maths, and the vast majority of successful A-level applicants to Oxford Maths and/or Computer Science courses have done Further Maths, so I wouldn't recommend dropping that if you want to apply to Oxford Maths and Computer Science. We would certainly view Maths and Further Maths as two separate A-levels, not one. However, other universities' views on this may vary, so you should check with other institutions you're interested in applying to, to check what their view is on 4 vs 3 A-levels and whether they count Maths and Further Maths separately or together.

Rosie
Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford
Original post by RosieCre
As posted above by hsalika, Oxford Maths and Computer Science offers are based on three A-levels, including Maths and preferably Further Maths; it would be very unusual for a fourth A-level to be included in the offer. If you want to and feel you are capable of doing more than three A-levels without risking making the standard offer grades then by all means do so, but we'd rather see you focus on three A-levels and do really well in them than do four and perhaps miss a grade.

We strongly recommend Further Maths, and the vast majority of successful A-level applicants to Oxford Maths and/or Computer Science courses have done Further Maths, so I wouldn't recommend dropping that if you want to apply to Oxford Maths and Computer Science. We would certainly view Maths and Further Maths as two separate A-levels, not one. However, other universities' views on this may vary, so you should check with other institutions you're interested in applying to, to check what their view is on 4 vs 3 A-levels and whether they count Maths and Further Maths separately or together.

Rosie
Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford

Hi Rosie, I didn't actually think someone from the University I wanted to go to would actually respond to my post! Thank you for the advice, as back up now I'll look at what other Universities are asking for.

Quick question what is it like studying Computer Science?
Reply 8
Hi Rosie, I didn't actually think someone from the University I wanted to go to would actually respond to my post! Thank you for the advice, as back up now I'll look at what other Universities are asking for.

Quick question what is it like studying Computer Science?

No worries! :-)

I'm not a Computer Science student myself (member of staff). You might find this section of our website useful: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/whatiscs.html

Quick Reply

Latest