The Student Room Group

Halal food at Oxford

Hello !
I was wondering if anyone knew about the type of food served at Oxford colleges. I noticed Pembroke College do halal food and Merton College says it is available. Other colleges also say it is available on request. Can anyone provide me with any more information ? If you have to ask for it at Oriel can you have it everyday ? Also, when Queens College says it caters for all dietary requirements, does that mean halal food is always available ?

Thanks !
Original post by MonkeyUSB
Hello !
I was wondering if anyone knew about the type of food served at Oxford colleges. I noticed Pembroke College do halal food and Merton College says it is available. Other colleges also say it is available on request. Can anyone provide me with any more information ? If you have to ask for it at Oriel can you have it everyday ? Also, when Queens College says it caters for all dietary requirements, does that mean halal food is always available ?

Thanks !

I mean they must do right? I can't give a definitive answer, but it seems common sense tbh.
Are you looking to apply for one of the colleges? You could just contact them I guess, they’re usually very accommodating with dietary requirements so it shouldn’t be a problem.
I would think some colleges would have halal food since Oxford does teach about Islam and etc so they must be aware.
when Queens College says it caters for all dietary requirements, does that mean halal food is always available ?

Thanks !

I highly doubt it - what it more likely means is that there are always vegetarian options (rather than halal meat options) available :yes:
Hello !

Thanks !

I imagine most colleges do; LMH and Trinity did.

There's also plenty of food outlets around Oxford colleges if a halal meal option isn't available
Reply 6
Hello !

Thanks !

I was over at Oxford for the interviews earlier this month - I am Muslim and requested halal food. tbh what they gave me was the vegetarian option most of the time, although there was the occasional fish option.

I'm not sure if they might serve different food during term time for actual students who go there, but the halal options seems mostly veggie to me. I didn't have halal meat when I was there.
Reply 7
Original post by Kyber Ninja

There's also plenty of food outlets around Oxford colleges if a halal meal option isn't available

Hi,
Thanks for your reply ! Are you currently at Oxford ?
Reply 8
Original post by Kyber Ninja

Hi,
Pembroke College looks like the best option for me TBH.
Hi,
Pembroke College looks like the best option for me TBH.

No, I went to these colleges for interview and had food there.
I would also like to know which Oxford colleges provide halal food/meat dishes
You might find the OU Islamic Society website helpful: https://ouisoc.org/college-life
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by vettycroissant
You might find the OU Islamic Society website helpful: https://ouisoc.org/college-life

Thank you
I did check that but have found some conflicting information.
By halal do they mean vegetarian or halal meat included? I am looking at Pembroke, Keble and Hertford. Anyone at or been to any of these colleges?
Original post by Tabz786
Thank you
I did check that but have found some conflicting information.
By halal do they mean vegetarian or halal meat included? I am looking at Pembroke, Keble and Hertford. Anyone at or been to any of these colleges?

You could always contact the college or the Islamic Society reps for the college directly, they should be able to give you up-to-date info.
Original post by vettycroissant
You could always contact the college or the Islamic Society reps for the college directly, they should be able to give you up-to-date info.

I phoned the colleges, they all said 'we think so'.
Waiting for the Islamic reps to respond to my e-mails.
Are you at or applying to Oxford?

Latest

Trending

Trending