The Student Room Group

Physics or biology a level

Hi can't decide which a levels to do. I want to do maths and geography but can't decide between physics and biology.
At the moment my grades are pretty similar ( average 89% in bio 87% in physics)
I like both so really stuck on what to do
Original post by Becky_katy
Hi can't decide which a levels to do. I want to do maths and geography but can't decide between physics and biology.

If you don't want to study medicine,Biochemistry, biomedical science or biology at university, physics is the better choice.
I'm not sure about Physics, but regarding biology it's a lot of work and a lot of content to learn.If you're naturally better at things like maths and working things out maybe physics, but if you'd rather go with a subject where a good memory is needed, perhaps biology.
I do maths and I must say as much as I hate physics, it has helped me with my maths. I was able to learn equations very well since I use the same equations in both physics and maths. Physics has also helped to me with forces and motion in maths. However, I find biology easier than physics because it’s one of those subjects that if you learn the content you would normally get result you want. Physics is a big jump from gcse, its more bout application and just learning the content would not get the best grade.
It all depends on ur interest.
Hope this helps
Reply 4
Original post by Kyber Ninja
If you don't want to study medicine,Biochemistry, biomedical science or biology at university, physics is the better choice.

Thanks not rlly thinking of doing anything very biology related at uni
Reply 5
Original post by Janej77
I do maths and I must say as much as I hate physics, it has helped me with my maths. I was able to learn equations very well since I use the same equations in both physics and maths. Physics has also helped to me with forces and motion in maths. However, I find biology easier than physics because it’s one of those subjects that if you learn the content you would normally get result you want. Physics is a big jump from gcse, its more bout application and just learning the content would not get the best grade.
It all depends on ur interest.
Hope this helps

Thx do u cover quite a lot of the same things in physics and maths
Reply 6
Original post by casi12345
I'm not sure about Physics, but regarding biology it's a lot of work and a lot of content to learn.If you're naturally better at things like maths and working things out maybe physics, but if you'd rather go with a subject where a good memory is needed, perhaps biology.

Thank you, is the exam question style in biology similar to GCSE
Thx do u cover quite a lot of the same things in physics and maths

In mechanics we do. But I wouldn’t say that it’s a lot.
Thank you, is the exam question style in biology similar to GCSE

I would say so, just a lot harder as there's so much to remember though.
Reply 9
Original post by Janej77
In mechanics we do. But I wouldn’t say that it’s a lot.

Thanks that's really helpful
I say take Biology - it is much easier than physics
Physics
Reply 12

Physics, if you’re not planning on studying Biology related courses at university.
Physics is harder I'd say, especially compared to GCSE, there's alot more theory side but also a much more extensive maths side, with some very complex questions
DO NOT take bio, take this from a yr 13 student. it is living hell. i loveeed it at gcse but HATE it at a level

Quick Reply

Latest