The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom_Elliott

I have decent academics (non-law first, distinction at masters, some prizes and scholarships, a few publications in research journals (not student ones), distinction at GDL), but I was not interviewed at 5 sets of those 14. Academics are not enough unless you're a true star, because everyone has good ones.

Your application form has to impress the reader overall, but it's hard to get it right. That's why I think it's sensible even for good candidates to put in more applications. But take all this with a grain of salt: after all, I do not have pupillage.

"Decent" academics? Haha, I'd call that more than decent! Did you go to Oxbridge, if it's ok to ask? (Cambridge girl here).

I thought I had "decent" academics, but yours make mine sub-par! Non-law 2.1, but starred first in one exam, a prize/scholarship for my first year results, and a Distinction in Masters. I have a place on the GDL (aiming for a Distinction, of course). I should - if I pull my finger out - also have my Masters work published in a journal.....But as I say, sub-par compared to you! Needless to say, I won't be applying to Blackstone/Fountain/One Essex this time next year :tongue: :s-smilie:
Whilst I'm here, going to ask before I forget: those who applied to XXIV Old Buildings, who ask all candidates to sit a verbal reasoning test as the first step of their application process, how did you find that test? Did you go into Chambers and sit a written exam, or was it emailed to you one day and you had to complete it by a certain deadline? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Shellbeach
"Decent" academics? Haha, I'd call that more than decent! Did you go to Oxbridge, if it's ok to ask? (Cambridge girl here).

I thought I had "decent" academics, but yours make mine sub-par! Non-law 2.1, but starred first in one exam, a prize/scholarship for my first year results, and a Distinction in Masters. I have a place on the GDL (aiming for a Distinction, of course). I should - if I pull my finger out - also have my Masters work published in a journal.....But as I say, sub-par compared to you! Needless to say, I won't be applying to Blackstone/Fountain/One Essex this time next year :tongue: :s-smilie:

I can't see why you wouldn't apply to these sets -- it seems to me your academics are good enough, it will all come down to other stuff on your form.

I went to university in Europe; I only moved here some four years ago.

Re XXIV, it's a real-time online test.

Best wishes
I can't see why you wouldn't apply to these sets -- it seems to me your academics are good enough, it will all come down to other stuff on your form.

I went to university in Europe; I only moved here some four years ago.

Re XXIV, it's a real-time online test.

Best wishes

I might apply to one of those sets as my "wild card". I think they're tough for anyone to get into, even those with 'stellar' academics. People with a double first in Law from Oxford will even be rejected if they don't like them at interview!

Re university in Europe - that's cool, which one, out of interest? That's something that makes you more interesting, at least, studying abroad.
Whilst I'm here, going to ask before I forget: those who applied to XXIV Old Buildings, who ask all candidates to sit a verbal reasoning test as the first step of their application process, how did you find that test? Did you go into Chambers and sit a written exam, or was it emailed to you one day and you had to complete it by a certain deadline? Thanks :smile:

It was very simple really, although I'd try the practice test first. The assessment day is tough, so I'd make sure you prep for that. You sit the test online and if you make it to the final round 'assessment day' you re-sit the test in chambers.
I might apply to one of those sets as my "wild card". I think they're tough for anyone to get into, even those with 'stellar' academics. People with a double first in Law from Oxford will even be rejected if they don't like them at interview!

Re university in Europe - that's cool, which one, out of interest? That's something that makes you more interesting, at least, studying abroad.

Exactly right, they reject tons of people with double firsts from Oxford - they can afford to be incredibly picky.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jacktc890
It was very simple really, although I'd try the practice test first. The assessment day is tough, so I'd make sure you prep for that. You sit the test online and if you make it to the final round 'assessment day' you re-sit the test in chambers.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually won't be applying until later this year (October/November, whenever the deadline is for XXIV), when I'm on the GDL.

What did the assessment day involve? :smile:

By the way, if you don't mind me asking jacktc890, did you get an Oxbridge first/double first? :tongue:
Exactly right, they reject tons of people with double firsts from Oxford - they can afford to be incredibly picky.

Well I suppose that lots of people who know they want to be barristers -and there are lots of them at Oxbridge - make sure they work damn hard and secure that double first in law.....So they will want to find a way of differentiating between those candidates. I know that Oxbridge degrees are challenging, but even so, there's still a knack to passing exams. That's why most people do better in their final year. I, stupidly, did the opposite: did very well in first year, then came out with a measly 2.1 in final year. :p:$
Has anyone heard from Falcon or Wilberforce?
Original post by Emily900
Has anyone heard from Falcon or Wilberforce?

Their deadline was 3rd Jan. Personally I would hope they take more than 7 working days to review the applications!
Fair point; Falcon interviews are next week though!

Original post by pjs736_student
Their deadline was 3rd Jan. Personally I would hope they take more than 7 working days to review the applications!
Of the 2017 deadline crowd, any news from Atkin?
Original post by Emily900
Fair point; Falcon interviews are next week though!

True, but it's only Monday. A couple other chancery sets are interviewing next week too (Radcliffe, Ten Old Square) -- I've not heard a peep from them either.

@pjs736_student : I've not heard from Atkin, I know no-one who has, and I know at least one other person who hasn't.
South Square have started sending out invites (personalised e-mail by hand).
Thank Virgin Trains for delaying me for an hour due to a missed connection, but I wrote up a pupillage application tips thread.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5147490&p=75620722#post75620722
Reply 75
Anyone got any tips on the process at Landmark? Very keen as it's my area to a t.

Additionally Northampton chambers rejections out.
Thanks for the heads up. I actually won't be applying until later this year (October/November, whenever the deadline is for XXIV), when I'm on the GDL.

What did the assessment day involve? :smile:

By the way, if you don't mind me asking jacktc890, did you get an Oxbridge first/double first? :tongue:

Feel free to PM me, happy to provide details.

I'd rather not do it on here, there weren't that many at the assessment day and I'm easily identifiable!
South Square have started sending out invites (personalised e-mail by hand).

Congratulations. I just got an invite. My email didn't give any details as to what the interview involves though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Congratulations! I just got an invite. My email didn't give any details as to what the interview involves though.

No, mine did not either. I guess we'll see when we get there.
I think I got a little under 48hrs notice for Ten Old Square back in 2016, if that’s any help.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending