The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Will places for the March 2018 GAMSAT run out? How long can I realistically wait to book a spot?
Reply 21
Hi guys, I've just registered for the march exam! Does anyone know where the Liverpool test centre is?
Reply 22
Original post by Akmll
Hi guys, I've just registered for the march exam! Does anyone know where the Liverpool test centre is?

It changes depending on how many students want to sit it in Liverpool so you won't find out until they release the tickets a few weeks prior.
Original post by daiigou
It changes depending on how many students want to sit it in Liverpool so you won't find out until they release the tickets a few weeks prior.

Isn’t it always on brownlow in the crypt? I went to Liverpool uni and it’s big capacity and exams are pretty much always here when it’s large cohorts (they fit all of life sciences in with no problems)
Original post by Volibear
Might be a silly questions but I've read different answers. Are you allowed a calculator for Section III?

Used to be but not anymore I’m afraid! Would work on logs defo
Hiya guys,
Because I have too much time on my hands I thought I'd give my/gradmeds two cents on the GAMSAT. I did the gradmed intensive course, and honestly I couldn't rate it enough. Most the tips I will be sharing has come from them however I went a bit rogue on some of the things and it seemed to have worked for me.

I'm sorry this is quite lengthy and rambly- I'm just kind of blurting it out as it comes to me. People might disagree but most of this advice is my own experience/advice of 'experts' at gradmed. I'm only intending on helping! If you'd like to see a list of topics/contents page that the gradmed course covers I'd happily send that- however I won't send the actual content of the book as I think going on the gradmed course is great and would encourage anybody to do so. I will also happily send my essay practices done on the gradmed course/their scoring so you can see what kind of answer gets what kind of score.
Section 1

Spoiler

Section II

Spoiler

Section III

Spoiler

How much did the course cost?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Around 1.2k for mock included! Very pricey.
That is a lot of money that I doubt most people will have lying around spare

I actually just sourced the biology book and didn’t book onto it as it was two days and I was saving a lot of money- here is my breakdown 06069E9F-40B2-47E1-8994-F534C398E8F6.jpg.jpeg
9E3A0D93-AC9A-4DAE-A66D-2A189358578E.jpg.jpeg
Still, considering that it's about two month's rent for me and I'm still in my final year, I think I'm going to have to go for the March GAMSAT without 😂

Yeah- I was really lucky because my parents paid for mine. I actually have two sets of books but leant one set to a friend, if I can get them back I’ll let you know! I’m holding onto my copy unless I get a offer this year haha
Hi everyone!

So glad to have come across this thread! I'm a GAMSAT hopeful too and was planning to take the March exam. But due to work and other things i've had some delay in doing revision and prep. I hear that some people have prepared for the GAMSAT in a month so I'm wondering if I should take the march exam or not. I graduated with a degree in Biomedical Sciences last year with a first and I was hoping to apply for GEM 2019 entry.

Does anyone have any tips with tackling section III? so far i've made a note to concentrate on maths aspect of it all seeing. How are other people tackling the exam?

PS. I'm london based too :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by jay-pakchoi
Hi everyone!

So glad to have come across this thread! I'm a GAMSAT hopeful too and was planning to take the March exam. But due to work and other things i've had some delay in doing revision and prep. I hear that some people have prepared for the GAMSAT in a month so I'm wondering if I should take the march exam or not. I graduated with a degree in Biomedical Sciences last year with a first and I was hoping to apply for GEM 2019 entry.

Does anyone have any tips with tackling section III? so far i've made a note to concentrate on maths aspect of it all seeing. How are other people tackling the exam?

PS. I'm london based too :smile:

I'd definitely sit the exam even with a months revision. Worst case scenario it's a trial run for September.
Hey, Thank you for the tips.. could you send me the topics list for section III?
I'm hoping to sit the GAMSAT in September. I've got an Arts and a Neuroscience background, but I want to brush up on everything. I've not heard many great reviews about the gold standard GAMSAT book and it seems really expensive. Does anyone have any ideas for good study materials? I prefer hard copies, rather than ebooks. I've heard there's some overlap with MCAT for the science questions.
Original post by daiigou
Hi

My advise to you or anyone thinking about starting to revise for GAMSAT is don't think you need to learn everything in terms of facts. What you need to do is try and understand concepts and familiarise yourself with as many as you can. It's a reasoning exam which means they will give you 95% of the information on the page and it's up to you to logically figure out what the right answer is. Get numerate very quickly. That's one of the most important things I did and I went from a section 3 score of 46 to 80 in a year. By numerate I mean learn how to manipulate equations, standard form and logs etc.

For section 1 & 2, ted talks and the ukcat question bank for verbal reasoning helped me a lot. Just remember not to restrict your responses in the essays to a set way because there's no set way.

Finally, and probably the most difficult, learn to enjoy the exam. Having sat it 3 times, I'm actually a little disappointed that I won't have to take it again. That sounds crazy but there's a reason the average people have to take it is 2.5 times.

I took the GradMed course which is honestly invaluable. So if you can afford it (and it's not cheap), I'd 100% advise you go on it. On the other hand, i've got all their study materials, about 25 papers which are honestly so similar to the real thing. Hit me up if you're interested.

Good luck!!

Hi I’m interested in the GRADMED material inbox me the detail please
Reply 35
Original post by s2.student
Hi I’m interested in the GRADMED material inbox me the detail please

I'm really sorry, you're about 3 weeks too late. I have sold it. Thanks for reminding me so i can take that previous message down. Good luck
Original post by daiigou
I'm really sorry, you're about 3 weeks too late. I have sold it. Thanks for reminding me so i can take that previous message down. Good luck

no problem thanks, what are your tips of getting a good score in the GAMSAT
Intending to take the GAMSAT in September in order to apply for GEM in 2020. Currently studying a part-time teaching degree and working full-time in a primary special needs school so I really don't have a science background! Any tips for how to get a decent score in the exam? Thanks :smile:
Guys I just want to chip in here and say that lots of people get good scores without buying expensive prep courses or books. Don't panic if you haven't got a grand lying around for a course.

YouTube is your best friend. It will teach you everything. Just make sure you keep on applying knowledge to questions. Any questions are helpful, and gamsat-styled ones are even better. I liked Khan Academy and Professor Dave Explains the best, but find channels you like.

I have an English degree and no experience of post-GCSE science and I got 64, 72, 50, giving a total score of 59 / 62 depending on how you calculate it. It's not the best score, but frankly it's good enough. I prepared for it around my full job, and my part time job, and fitting in enough work experience.

I had moments during my prep where I thought I was never going to be good enough in section 3 and wanted to give up, but you CAN do it and you just have to keep going.
Hi, I would write as many practice essays as possible and look at "Leah4sci MCAT maths without a calculator" on youtube - the latter helped me with all the maths prep. When you register you also get some free practice Qs which are good to go through in timed conditions. Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending