The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

They helped. They dealt with Japan and helped during the D-Day landings and after. If there wasn't any involvement with the US then we would at some point have to face against Japan and would have found the D-Day landings a lot more difficult. They also sent us supplies like weaponry which helped in other fronts like Africa.

Can't exactly tell if we would've won though their involvement contributed a lot to us winning.
No, the US helped and its involvement probably shortened the war, but it didn't save us. Russia saved us.

You could argue the war saved America's economy though.
Not really. It was actually arguably the USSR who won the war as the Red Army was unstoppable by 1943. The moment Nazi Germany chose to take on the UK, USSR & USA there was only going to be one winner. Even only two of those nations would have defeated Germany eventually but it would have been far bloodier.

The USA did provide lend-lease to both the UK & Soviet Union even before they entered the conflict in 1941. If these supplies keep coming then the Nazis will be defeated but probably in 1946/47 rather than 45. The German nuclear program wasn't likely to produce any results before the British one so even nukes probably can't save them.
Original post by IFLICHBA
Do you think we would have beaten Hitler and the Nazis without the US's involvement? The Battle of Britain was won before US got involved.

The biggest contribution from the US to save the UK were actually the Atlantic convoys in my opinion. But the Germany doomed itself, as Hitler chose to attack the USSR instead of the UK, and the Soviets were winning by the time that the Allies opend the second front in Italy.
The African front did not have much impact on the Reich, while lead-lease provided for The Soviet Union was very helpful to the Soviets, but the Wehrmacht was crashed mainly in 1941, when those delivieries had almost non-existant effect yet.

In the worst possible scenario, that the US does absolutely nothing, the Red Army and Wehrmacht would knock out each other, and both sides would eventually agree for temporary cease-fire, as both have exhausted themselves to the edge and can't carry on fighting, but either way UK would be saved, as Hitler has not had enough men or oil to carry on any agressive actions, and the Soviet Union would probably replenish it's strenght sooner or later, as the Rech's industrial potential was actually stronger, but they had limited acces to oil and manpower. So the only crucial thing that UK would eventually be forced to do, is to get back control over Scandinavia to stop deliveries of metal ore, but even this would not be necessary as Soviets would probably ensure that the Romanian oil fields are put out of business, or they would attack again before the Germans can accumulate enough oil to launch another attack.
Original post by Snufkin
No, the US helped and its involvement probably shortened the war, but it didn't save us. Russia saved us.

You could argue the war saved America's economy though.

Russia didn’t save us we could have won the war without them
Original post by Tempest II
Not really. It was actually arguably the USSR who won the war as the Red Army was unstoppable by 1943. The moment Nazi Germany chose to take on the UK, USSR & USA there was only going to be one winner. Even only two of those nations would have defeated Germany eventually but it would have been far bloodier.

The USA did provide lend-lease to both the UK & Soviet Union even before they entered the conflict in 1941. If these supplies keep coming then the Nazis will be defeated but probably in 1946/47 rather than 45. The German nuclear program wasn't likely to produce any results before the British one so even nukes probably can't save them.

I would say it was probably about a third from each of Britain, USSR and USA that meant the allies won the war but maybe stightly less from USA since they only joined in 1941 and were mainly focussed on Japan rather than Europe.
Original post by Jacob Rush
Russia didn’t save us we could have won the war without them

I'd love to see a detailed analysis of how Britain could have beaten Germany on its own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PTMalewski
The biggest contribution from the US to save the UK were actually the Atlantic convoys in my opinion. But the Germany doomed itself, as Hitler chose to attack the USSR instead of the UK, and the Soviets were winning by the time that the Allies opend the second front in Italy.
The African front did not have much impact on the Reich, while lead-lease provided for The Soviet Union was very helpful to the Soviets, but the Wehrmacht was crashed mainly in 1941, when those delivieries had almost non-existant effect yet.

In the worst possible scenario, that the US does absolutely nothing, the Red Army and Wehrmacht would knock out each other, and both sides would eventually agree for temporary cease-fire, as both have exhausted themselves to the edge and can't carry on fighting, but either way UK would be saved, as Hitler has not had enough men or oil to carry on any agressive actions, and the Soviet Union would probably replenish it's strenght sooner or later, as the Rech's industrial potential was actually stronger, but they had limited acces to oil and manpower. So the only crucial thing that UK would eventually be forced to do, is to get back control over Scandinavia to stop deliveries of metal ore, but even this would not be necessary as Soviets would probably ensure that the Romanian oil fields are put out of business, or they would attack again before the Germans can accumulate enough oil to launch another attack.

No one ‘saved’ the UK. Britain saved France and then together Britain, the USSR and the US defeated Germany and Italy. Secondly, if Germany and USSR destroyed each other then the only thing Britain could do wouldn’t be to stop Germany from importing metal they would push straight through Germany towards Berlin and defeat it. Finally, because of the sheer numbers and determination of the USSR it would have probably beaten Germany seeing as Germany was also fighting In France and Belgium.
Reply 9
Original post by IFLICHBA
Do you think we would have beaten Hitler and the Nazis without the US's involvement? The Battle of Britain was won before US got involved.

The US helped, no doubt about it. But I can’t justify ‘help’. Germany declared war on the US after pearl harbour, so you know, as they were at war America was merely fighting with the British on the same side.

I’d also give 80% of the credit to the USSR.
Original post by ageshallnot
I'd love to see a detailed analysis of how Britain could have beaten Germany on its own.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not Britain by itself but the allies without the USSR. Also, even Hitler himself said, and I quote 'the real military cause of defeat, was the failure of the German Air Force.’ This was referring to how Britain defeated Germany single-handedly. Also, finally since Britain cracked the enigma code (which Germany and the rest of the world didn’t even know about until 1974) this meant that Britain could counter the majority of all German military plans and has been proven to have significantly shorten the war.
No one ‘saved’ the UK. Britain saved France and then together Britain, the USSR and the US defeated Germany and Italy. Secondly, if Germany and USSR destroyed each other then the only thing Britain could do wouldn’t be to stop Germany from importing metal they would push straight through Germany towards Berlin and defeat it. Finally, because of the sheer numbers and determination of the USSR it would have probably beaten Germany seeing as Germany was also fighting In France and Belgium.

IIIrd Reich managed to destroy most of the Red Army, get through vast territories of the Soviet Union, and almost captured Moscow. If they were slightly better prepared for winter campaign, and their tanks had traction capabilities of the Soviet designs, they would probably make it. The Soviets managed to replenish the Red Army, keep millions in the field, and moved the vital factories out of Luftwaffe's range, while the UK had practically no significant land forces after the Dunkirk, and was protected only by RAF, Navy, and small La Manche channel. It is reasonable to agree, that the very existence of the Soviet Union saved the UK, as without it, the Nazis would concentrate on attacking the British Islands.
Original post by Woksin
The US helped, no doubt about it. But I can’t justify ‘help’. Germany declared war on the US after pearl harbour, so you know, as they were at war America was merely fighting with the British on the same side.

I’d also give 80% of the credit to the USSR.

I definitely wouldn’t give the USSR 80% of the credit for the allies winning ww2. I would probably give the USSR 40% Britain 35% USA 20% and other European countries 5%.
Reply 13
I definitely wouldn’t give the USSR 80% of the credit for the allies winning ww2. I would probably give the USSR 40% Britain 35% USA 20% and other European countries 5%.

Why do you think that? If there was no USSR you would be german like the rest of the world.
Not Britain by itself but the allies without the USSR. Also, even Hitler himself said, and I quote 'the real military cause of defeat, was the failure of the German Air Force.’ This was referring to how Britain defeated Germany single-handedly. Also, finally since Britain cracked the enigma code (which Germany and the rest of the world didn’t even know about until 1974) this meant that Britain could counter the majority of all German military plans and has been proven to have significantly shorten the war.

Ah. That's not what you said originally.
Reply 15

Might one ask why you gave each country their respective percentage?
Typical Americans, turn up late and then when the job was done, try and take all the credit. England and Russia were already on their way to winning the war without the help of the US.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PTMalewski
IIIrd Reich managed to destroy most of the Red Army, get through vast territories of the Soviet Union, and almost captured Moscow. If they were slightly better prepared for winter campaign, and their tanks had traction capabilities of the Soviet designs, they would probably make it. The Soviets managed to replenish the Red Army, keep millions in the field, and moved the vital factories out of Luftwaffe's range, while the UK had practically no significant land forces after the Dunkirk, and was protected only by RAF, Navy, and small La Manche channel. It is reasonable to agree, that the very existence of the Soviet Union saved the UK, as without it, the Nazis would concentrate on attacking the British Islands.

Firstly the Germans weren’t better prepared for winter campaign and their tanks weren’t suited for it. Also Soviet tanks were just as good if not better than German counterparts. Secondly, thankyou for proving my point about how the USSR successfully fought off Germany. And thirdly, it was because Britain cracked the enigma code that we were able to tell the Soviets when and where German forces were going to attack. And like I said Hitler himself said that it was the fact that Britain won the Battle of Britain that Germany was defeated.
It was a joint effort (the war in Europe)

Without us there wouldn’t have been a war in Western Europe for America to join and Hitler could have focused fully on Russia.
Without Russia Hitler could have fully focused on the west and then helped Japan take on the USA
Without the USA (and other allies) we could not have launched D-Day and thus not been able to open the war in Europe on a another front which helped the Russians.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Typical Americans, turn up late and then when the job was done, try and take all the credit. England and Russia were already on their way to winning the war without the help of the US.

I completely agree. It was the fact that Britain won the Battle of Britain and cracked the enigma code and that the Germany didn’t realise how much of a mistake declaring war on the USSR was that won the war. The Americans have quite little to do with it apart from keeping Japan occupied (which wouldn’t even have much much of a difference)

Latest

Trending

Trending