The Student Room Group

Should I even consider to do Computer Science at Oxbridge?

I'm only getting around 80-90% in maths past papers at the moment and theres always parts of questions on each past paper that I can't work out or do in time.
Did people at oxbridge get like nearly 100s on every maths module?
Original post by aceplayyt
I'm only getting around 80-90% in maths past papers at the moment and theres always parts of questions on each past paper that I can't work out or do in time.

At Cambridge the average UMS in maths modules for people who are given offers is 95UMS, however this is an average, people get offers with less.

Also at this point in the year you still have plenty of time to improve your marks, sometimes it takes a little time for things to properly 'click'. Just try to complete as many past papers as you can, take specific note of where you lose marks and try to make sure you don't make those mistakes again. You may very well find you gain a lot of confidence if you put in the revision time.

That said though, look over the CSAT papers and possibly even STEP 1 or MAT papers. As your performance in CSAT is a very significant part of the admissions process, and may be able to make up for some less competitive Maths marks
Reply 2
If my school offers Further Maths but I didn't take it, should I just try applying anyways?
Reply 3
Original post by solark
If my school offers Further Maths but I didn't take it, should I just try applying anyways?

Might be a waste of a choice because they said they really recommend people taking further maths but worth a shot if you think you can get like 2 or 3 A*s
Reply 4
The MAT is actually pretty easy. Just go through it with a straight mind.I'll be applying this year to Oxford , as I missed the deadline last year. Though my firm offer is UCL CS.
Reply 5

No.
Reply 6
Original post by r_gup
The MAT is actually pretty easy. Just go through it with a straight mind.I'll be applying this year to Oxford , as I missed the deadline last year. Though my firm offer is UCL CS.

Congrats on the offer I want to go Ucl aswell will be applying next year. What offer did you get?
Reply 7
Congrats on the offer I want to go Ucl aswell will be applying next year. What offer did you get?

I am from India, so I got an offer of 95%. Though Imperial gave me an offer of 90%, and Oxford probably hands out offers at around 88%.
Reply 8
Another thing, STEP is not a very difficult exam. Use Stephen Siklos' book , which serves as a nice introduction for the STEP. Though it is a bit harder than the MAT.
Reply 9

Further maths or normal A-Level maths?
Reply 10
Your STEP score matters a lot. You need 1 in both STEP I and STEP II.
Though Oxford is way better for CS.....(lesser no. of seats, lot of interaction with your tutor,very very theoretical as compared to Cambridge,more 'reputed':wink:.
A*AA is more like a predicted requirement. You need an A*A*A in reality as colleges usually do not give offers below 40 IB points (which translates to A*A*A and not A*AA). Getting an offer is not the same as being accepted to read CS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending