The Student Room Group

Cambridge without May Balls

I am about to finish my degree at Cambridge University (4 years), but never had the means to buy a ticket for a May Ball (or June event), how common is it for a Cambridge student to miss out on May weeks completely? Is it worth to come back for as an alumnus in a few years?
Reply 1
Original post by fferi
I am about to finish my degree at Cambridge University (4 years), but never had the means to buy a ticket for a May Ball (or June event), how common is it for a Cambridge student to miss out on May weeks completely? Is it worth to come back for as an alumnus in a few years?

I've moved your post to the Cambridge forum... it's probably more relevant in here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fferi

Probably you’ve been there long enough to know this but there’s a few ways you can go to May Balls cheaper.
1) some colleges offer a reduced price ticket in return for working at the balls in a half of the time and enjoying the balls as a guest in the rest of time. It’s quite high in demand, so you need to be quick to get it.
2) ....or just work at one of the Balls as a catering (or other) staff, if you just want to see what it’s like.
3) not quite a full-blown May Balls but Garden Party is quite good, too, and much cheaper (and much better value).

Can’t tell you if it’s worth the money as I’m just a parent of recent graduate, but as far as I understand I think the real enjoyment of the Balls is in ‘enjoying it with your friends’ and, perhaps, the element of feeling liberated after the exams, too.
So I suspect going back there on as an alumnus may not give you the same joy as you’d do while you’re at the university and going there with friends.
(edited 6 years ago)
In addition to the above advice, Hughes Hall are offering 20% reduced tickets to their May Ball this year if you receive a Cambridge Bursary. I think you've probably missed the bus on a lot of the worker applications this year, unfortunately.

It's pretty normal to return as an alum, but iirc in a lot of cases the tickets cost more than they do for students. Imo you should look to go to something this year; there's a big range of events and some of them aren't too expensive: https://whichmayball.co.uk/ Imo Murray Edwards Garden Party is a hot take, it's pretty much a less-formal June Event but much cheaper. The Newnham Garden Party is also pretty reasonable at £75 for a guest ticket, and allegedly it's a really good event (never been so can't confirm, but Medwards was fun when I went there a couple of years ago).
Original post by Parliament
In addition to the above advice, Hughes Hall are offering 20% reduced tickets to their May Ball this year if you receive a Cambridge Bursary. I think you've probably missed the bus on a lot of the worker applications this year, unfortunately.

It's pretty normal to return as an alum, but iirc in a lot of cases the tickets cost more than they do for students. Imo you should look to go to something this year; there's a big range of events and some of them aren't too expensive: https://whichmayball.co.uk/ Imo Murray Edwards Garden Party is a hot take, it's pretty much a less-formal June Event but much cheaper. The Newnham Garden Party is also pretty reasonable at £75 for a guest ticket, and allegedly it's a really good event (never been so can't confirm, but Medwards was fun when I went there a couple of years ago).

My daughter will whole-heartedly agree with you on Medwards Garden Party. She said that was the best value May Balls/Party-thingy she’d been.
Reply 5
Thanks for you answers.

Unfortunately 75 pounds is still a lot more than what i could afford (that`s what i spend on food in an entire term), but hopefully this is gonna change when i find a job, and will probably return in the next few years with my friends.

(btw thanks for the suggestion to work on some of the May Balls, i applied, but was not accepted)
Reply 6
Original post by fferi
Thanks for you answers.

Unfortunately 75 pounds is still a lot more than what i could afford (that`s what i spend on food in an entire term), but hopefully this is gonna change when i find a job, and will probably return in the next few years with my friends.

(btw thanks for the suggestion to work on some of the May Balls, i applied, but was not accepted)

Didn't you have any summer jobs? Haven't you gained any work experience / internships whilst at Cambridge?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending