The Student Room Group

Natural Sciences at university

Would I be able to get into a NatSci course at a university like Cambridge, Bath or Durham without a Maths A-Level? I am predicted 8/9s in science and 7/8s in Maths at GCSE, doing Additional/Further Maths GCSE and am planning to do 2 or 3 science A Levels
Reply 1
Original post by disasterbi
Would I be able to get into a NatSci course at a university like Cambridge, Bath or Durham without a Maths A-Level? I am predicted 8/9s in science and 7/8s in Maths at GCSE, doing Additional/Further Maths GCSE and am planning to do 2 or 3 science A Levels

Can't speak for the other unis, but I presume for Cambridge you'd be looking at Biological Natsci - you wouldn't get far on the physical side without maths A level, and a lot of people applying for Physical Natsci would have FM too!

You'd have to check on the individual College requirements, but while it may be possible to get in without maths, the historical admission stats (check these also!) might be against you. And why do you say "2 or 3 science A levels" - why wouldn't you take 3 sciences if you're serious about Natsci at a top uni?

ETA: I don't think you can even do Biological Natsci without Maths - see here: Natural Sciences | Undergraduate Study (cam.ac.uk)

I also note from your (short) post history on TSR that you're asking about English and Classical Civilization A levels - are you absolutely sure what you want to go on to study at uni?
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi there,

Each university is different and will have their own requirements. For bath you can find the requirements here: https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/natural-sciences/bsc-natural-sciences/#entry-requirements

It appears that you may study without mathematics but require a combination of biology and chemistry. I assume other universities may also have these combination offers but mathematics seems to appreciated.

Good luck with all,

Sophie (uni of Bath)

Reply 3
Original post by chavvo
Can't speak for the other unis, but I presume for Cambridge you'd be looking at Biological Natsci - you wouldn't get far on the physical side without maths A level, and a lot of people applying for Physical Natsci would have FM too!
You'd have to check on the individual College requirements, but while it may be possible to get in without maths, the historical admission stats (check these also!) might be against you. And why do you say "2 or 3 science A levels" - why wouldn't you take 3 sciences if you're serious about Natsci at a top uni?
ETA: I don't think you can even do Biological Natsci without Maths - see here: Natural Sciences | Undergraduate Study (cam.ac.uk)
I also note from your (short) post history on TSR that you're asking about English and Classical Civilization A levels - are you absolutely sure what you want to go on to study at uni?

Yes, Biological NatSci would be the aim. I'm planning on taking Bio Chem Phys A levels and one of either English or Class Civ- that's why I was asking after those.
Reply 4
Original post by chavvo
ETA: I don't think you can even do Biological Natsci without Maths - see here: Natural Sciences | Undergraduate Study (cam.ac.uk)slope 3
How about Computer? I want to find a good university for this major, can you help me give me some suggestions? Thanks in advance
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by disasterbi
Yes, Biological NatSci would be the aim. I'm planning on taking Bio Chem Phys A levels and one of either English or Class Civ- that's why I was asking after those.

You would probably be best to do maths and two sciences at minimum, and then possibly another science or further maths as a fourth if you want to do a science subject at university. Cambridge require maths for bio NatSci, and having maths A level is very useful for any science subject at university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending