The Student Room Group

C3 maths help! rep to best explanation

I'm struggling with this question:
given that equation |f(x)|=k has two distinct roots, determine the possible values of k.

f(x)=2-sqrt of x

Thank you!
Original post by Astana
I'm struggling with this question:
given that equation |f(x)|=k has two distinct roots, determine the possible values of k.

f(x)=2-sqrt of x

Thank you!

Best if you sketch 2x|2- \sqrt{x}| then observe for which kk the horizontal line y=ky=k intersects it twice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Best if you sketch 2x|2- \sqrt{x}| then observe for which kk the horizontal line y=ky=k intersects it twice.

the answer is 0<k<2, but I'm really unsure how to get this
Original post by Astana
the answer is 0<k<2, but I'm really unsure how to get this

Well, have you made the sketch?
Reply 4
Well, have you made the sketch?

yes, but I still don't understand it. The intercept with the y-axis is at 2, and it cuts the x-axis at 4
Draw f(x) = 2 - root x.

It's basically -root x + 2 so that's the transformations.

Then |f(x)| would be just the negative part flipped over the y axis. Notice that now |f(x)|=k will have 2 solutions if k is between 0 and 2. Drawing any straight horizontal line here will have 2 solutions thefore 0<k<2.
Original post by Astana
yes, but I still don't understand it. The intercept with the y-axis is at 2, and it cuts the x-axis at 4

So then if you draw a straight horizontal line on the graph, where must it be for it to intersect your graph twice?
Reply 7
So then if you draw a straight horizontal line on the graph, where must it be for it to intersect your graph twice?

it can't intersect it twice because it's not a quadratic
Original post by Astana
it can't intersect it twice because it's not a quadratic

Not sure where you pulled this from as a reason.

The red curve represents 2x|2-\sqrt{x}| and the blue line represents y=ky=k. These two will intersect twice when kk takes which values...?

Reply 9
Not sure where you pulled this from as a reason.

The red curve represents 2x|2-\sqrt{x}| and the blue line represents y=ky=k. These two will intersect twice when kk takes which values...?

oh, I see, larger than 0 but equal or less than 2.

Thank you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest