The Student Room Group

I love the idea of my degree but I practice I hate it

I really, really wanted to like my degree. I’m 6/7 weeks into first year and idk what to do. I’m currently doing a fashion business/ promotion and communications course- which considering I love fashion and I wanted to work in one of these fields I considered a perfect degree. Well apparently not because my degree so far seems lots of communication and journalism and not much else. Our lectures wanted us to make a magazine in groups but not about fashion!!! we’ve been taught not skills so far- no photoshop, no camera literally just deadlines and no explanation. And when you try and ask questions they get beaten down. So idk what to do- do I stick it out? Transfer to fashion design because I love that but idk if that’s what I want as a future career? do I transfer 2nd year for a similar course at a different uni? i just feel miserable and like everything I wanted out of this course has just gone.i like the area, my friends I’ve made so I feel so stuck.
Where are you studying?

Most fashion comms courses will be 100% focused on fashion comms.

It might be worth investigating transferring to a more fashion focused degree at a different university for year 2
Original post by Ameliairvine34
I really, really wanted to like my degree. I’m 6/7 weeks into first year and idk what to do. I’m currently doing a fashion business/ promotion and communications course- which considering I love fashion and I wanted to work in one of these fields I considered a perfect degree. Well apparently not because my degree so far seems lots of communication and journalism and not much else. Our lectures wanted us to make a magazine in groups but not about fashion!!! we’ve been taught not skills so far- no photoshop, no camera literally just deadlines and no explanation. And when you try and ask questions they get beaten down. So idk what to do- do I stick it out? Transfer to fashion design because I love that but idk if that’s what I want as a future career? do I transfer 2nd year for a similar course at a different uni? i just feel miserable and like everything I wanted out of this course has just gone.i like the area, my friends I’ve made so I feel so stuck.

Hi there,
I'm sorry to read that you're not enjoying all aspects of your course. I'd recommend trying to chat with a tutor and share your concerns and your expectations for your degree. They could recommend future modules that are more in line with your interests and your expectations for your degree.

I hope that this helps a little.
All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by Ameliairvine34

Hi,

I would echo what some of the others have said and I'd organise a meeting with your course lead/personal tutor and express your concerns to them. They will be best equipped to advise you whether this course is what you are expecting or whether you would be better off on another course that best suits your interests.

I would also recommend, if possible, to speak to 2nd or 3rd-year students on your course and ask them how the course develops and what fashion content will be covered as they will be best able to describe the course and its contents to you and give you a feel for the next 2 years of the course.

I hope everything works out for you,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending