The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

What are the next steps?

Hi, I just finished my first year of undergraduate engineering at The University of Salford, had a great time, made some friends, but... Now what? I completed all assesments and im only waiting for a couple of marks that have not come back yet, but in general everything seems fine. I just do not know if there is anything i need to do for the second year, do I need to enrol again?, am i automatically enroled into the second year? What are credits and how can i be 100% sure that i passed? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can provide.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I just finished my first year of undergraduate engineering at The University of Salford, had a great time, made some friends, but... Now what? I completed all assesments and im only waiting for a couple of marks that have not come back yet, but in general everything seems fine. I just do not know if there is anything i need to do for the second year, do I need to enrol again?, am i automatically enroled into the second year? What are credits and how can i be 100% sure that i passed? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can provide.

Hey!

So happy to hear you've enjoyed your first year! Honestly, now you're done for the summer you've got time to sit back and relax after all of your hard work - your assessment grades will be sent across to you when they're ready to be released, but as long as you're not needing to do any resits you've got the summer to do whatever you want with! You'll know based on your results letters/emails if you need to redo anything, and would also be contacted separately about doing so.

In terms of credits/what they are - each of your modules is worth a certain number of credits, and if you pass that module you gain those credits. Each year of study is made up of 120 credits, and in your first year modules are typically quite evenly weighted - e.g. if you have 6 modules, they'll likely be 20 credits each (your school has more info on this if you want it!). Its not something to worry about in detail, but if you want a really nice explanation of them here's a really nice explanation from Think Student!

Come end of August/September time you'll get an email about re-registering for the new year (don't worry though, this isn't anything big/unusual - just normal for university!), just make sure you follow the instructions on there and you'll be sorted! If you're using student finance to fund your degree you will have needed to reapply for finance to cover your next academic year - this isn't a full application like the first time, but is more of a 'I'm continuing on the course' kind of thing, where you can let them know if any details have changed too. If you're not sure about the finance elements I'd recommend logging into your SFE account to check it, or just giving them a ring - they're always happy to help!

Hope all that helps - massive congrats on completing your first year, have a fab summer! We look forward to seeing you again in September :biggrin:
All the best!
Becky
University of Salford Rep
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending