The Student Room Group

Seriously, is there any point? Or should I go for plan B?

This poll is closed

Which plan

Plan A 83%
Plan B17%
Total votes: 12
So, brutal honesty here.

I’m a mature student (but under 30) and I am in my first year doing law at one may call an “ex-polytechnic” university. It’s an okay University as it is in the top 50 in the rankings, but I’m aware that degrees from non Russell Group Universities aren’t exactly good material for getting a solid career.

I want to join the Police to get some excitement in my life and hopefully make a comfy living. I have been in the private security industry for a while and I have had to withdraw my SIA licence, however, I have been consistently applying for the past 2.5 years and keep getting rejected. Mostly because of the high amount of candidates and the few positions available. I have never failed their tests or interviews, I just get rejected due to job availability.

As for legal careers, they sound kinda boring. Well paid, but boring. I’m not money motivated and not very materialistic. I’m not a huge extravert either, my best friends are always people that I work or train with. It seems to me that the only people that come in to speak to us at our University are ambulance chasers anyway and I’m not sure how I feel about that on a personal level.

My main desire in life is to find a career that I can sink my teeth into live for everyday. Something that gives my life a bit of meaning. But here are my two options, plan A and B.

Plan A: Suck it up and keep going. Yes it’s horrible and no my degree won’t mean much, but the graduate schemes with the police and the other opportunities may come along due to it. Just keep going, the worst thing that can happen is that you get a useless law degree and have to think of something else.

Plan B: I have always thought about joining the French Foreign Legion. I never did because it seems like a pretty bleak life afterwards and I’ll probably end up back in private security. But life is going to be bleak for me anyway and I should just knock this joke of a Uni course on the head and stop wasting my youth. Just go do what you want to do.

I’ll put a poll on here for the plans. If you feel like giving any advice and we can have a chat I’d appreciate it.

Scroll to see replies

This is incredibly personal to you, and most of us on here haven't been through FFL.

Why don't you finish your degree and go through officer training here in the UK?
Reply 2
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
This is incredibly personal to you, and most of us on here haven't been through FFL.

Why don't you finish your degree and go through officer training here in the UK?

Police officers will need a degree in 2020 too won't they. Also, degrees from non Russell Group Universities are not useless lol.
Reply 3

Well, the main point is just asking other people what they think. I'm not asking for answers. Like I said, anything anybody who could add anything for me to consider is what I'm thinking of here.

The FFL is just something I've always wanted to do and it was something I've been warned against and my research on it has always been consistent with them. But it would be one hell of an experience.

As for officer training here in the UK, I am over 25, so I'm too old for it.
Original post by Hughey89
Well, the main point is just asking other people what they think. I'm not asking for answers. Like I said, anything anybody who could add anything for me to consider is what I'm thinking of here.

The FFL is just something I've always wanted to do and it was something I've been warned against and my research on it has always been consistent with them. But it would be one hell of an experience.

As for officer training here in the UK, I am over 25, so I'm too old for it.

Not too old.

https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/age
Reply 5
Original post by jdddd
Police officers will need a degree in 2020 too won't they.

They are bringing that policy in this year. I think after June 2018 they will all require degrees.

I am sat here right now reading for and writing an essay. I am bored out of my mind. It's frustrating because I want to be out in the field doing some work for the common good and that would be fine if this would make my application stronger.

My only concern is sitting here doing this crap until I'm 30, only to leave University and find that I'm no closer to the Police than I was when I started and again, have thousands in debt and a piece of paper that is worthless.

Original post by jdddd
Also, degrees from non Russell Group Universities are not useless lol.

You're the only person in the history of the internet to ever say this quote.
Reply 6

I am for an officer.

Been to see a recruiter about it.
Reply 7
They are bringing that policy in this year. I think after June 2018 they will all require degrees.

I am sat here right now reading for and writing an essay. I am bored out of my mind. It's frustrating because I want to be out in the field doing some work for the common good and that would be fine if this would make my application stronger.

My only concern is sitting here doing this crap until I'm 30, only to leave University and find that I'm no closer to the Police than I was when I started and again, have thousands in debt and a piece of paper that is worthless.

Oh really? Well then its best to keep a degree isn't it?

You're the only person in the history of the internet to ever say this quote.

Am I? Degrees from Non Russell Groups are just as good? It what you do with the degree, how you apply it that matters. You're basically saying, anyone that doesn't study at a Russell Group is useless and worthless. Its the degree that matters not the University. Especially in Law as there is one governing body that all Universities have to abide by so they can't teach on their own terms.
I am for an officer.

Been to see a recruiter about it.

Did you click on the link? Was the recruiter an officer or some who recruits near-exclusively enlisted? Could the recruiter be wrong?
Reply 9
Original post by jdddd
Am I? Degrees from Non Russell Groups are just as good? It what you do with the degree, how you apply it that matters. You're basically saying, anyone that doesn't study at a Russell Group is useless and worthless. Its the degree that matters not the University. Especially in Law as there is one governing body that all Universities have to abide by so they can't teach on their own terms.

That's a bit of a stretch. I never said that the people are useless and worthless. Not once. There's a serious dearth of jobs and opportunities in the world right now, things will be worse in the coming years. There're three Universities in the city I'm in, including a Russell Group. That means there will be approx 600 degrees awarded the same year I graduate, and 1800 within my time at Uni.

Just in one city.

It seems to me that they (the degrees, not the people) really are worth less in the grand scheme of things.

I would rather not waste my time.
Reply 10
That's a bit of a stretch. I never said that the people are useless and worthless. Not once. There's a serious dearth of jobs and opportunities in the world right now, things will be worse in the coming years. There're three Universities in the city I'm in, including a Russell Group. That means there will be approx 600 degrees awarded the same year I graduate, and 1800 within my time at Uni.

Just in one city.

It seems to me that they (the degrees, not the people) really are worth less in the grand scheme of things.

I would rather not waste my time.

I never said you did. Just thats the way its sounding. So they all have the same student ratio? And all the students will go into Law and the same aspect of Law? A lot of Law students don't go onto follow Law. As shown in the number of Barristers. Its not particularly high. Its not a waste of time.
Reply 11
Did you click on the link? Was the recruiter an officer or some who recruits near-exclusively enlisted? Could the recruiter be wrong?

Not sure, it was a while ago. Might have been a corporal.

Might have changed it, I don't know.

Interesting idea.
Reply 12
Original post by jdddd
I never said you did. Just thats the way its sounding.

That's fine. Most of the people on my course are bright people and they certainly have more personal intelligence and common sense than the average middle-class toff.

Doesn't mean that the hard world of employment doesn't use league tables and University brand names over getting to know them individually.

Original post by jdddd
So they all have the same student ratio?

Not sure. I know that there're roughly 300 per course on mine and the other Unis based on people I know on them.

One you've taken away the drop outs and the under 2:1 grades, I'd imagine there're 200 per Uni. Based on the anecdotal knowledge I have from friends who go to the others.

Original post by jdddd
And all the students will go into Law and the same aspect of Law?

Possibly not, but then again, that's 600 a year in law alone. Then all the other subjects combined, it just makes it even worse in general.

There hasn't been a single commercial litigation firm come to advertise once, just ambulance chasers, so really there's only one aspect of law that will take us anyway.

Original post by jdddd
A lot of Law students don't go onto follow Law. As shown in the number of Barristers. Its not particularly high.

Barristers are a bad example to choose. The temples can only churn out so many a year, however the BPTC has a 90% pass rate. I wouldn't have thought that there would be a shortage of people wanting to be barristers, but there is a shortage who can actually get a pupilage.

We did a poll in class of career aspiration and about 60% chose barrister.

Original post by jdddd
Its not a waste of time.

Do you go to a non-RG?
Reply 13
That's fine. Most of the people on my course are bright people and they certainly have more personal intelligence and common sense than the average middle-class toff.

Doesn't mean that the hard world of employment doesn't use league tables and University brand names over getting to know them individually.

Not sure. I know that there're roughly 300 per course on mine and the other Unis based on people I know on them.

One you've taken away the drop outs and the under 2:1 grades, I'd imagine there're 200 per Uni. Based on the anecdotal knowledge I have from friends who go to the others.

Possibly not, but then again, that's 600 a year in law alone. Then all the other subjects combined, it just makes it even worse in general.

There hasn't been a single commercial litigation firm come to advertise once, just ambulance chasers, so really there's only one aspect of law that will take us anyway.

In your University? Thats bad, they advertise everywhere I've seen.

Barristers are a bad example to choose. The temples can only churn out so many a year, however the BPTC has a 90% pass rate. I wouldn't have thought that there would be a shortage of people wanting to be barristers, but there is a shortage who can actually get a pupilage.

I chose Barristers as there are only 35,000 in the UK hardly too many people.

Again the ratio for people wanting to and becoming a Barrister must be very low.

Do you go to a non-RG?

I do indeed, I study Law also.
Reply 14
Original post by jdddd
I do indeed, I study Law also.

I envy your optimism.

I don't envy your rude awakening.

Do you go to a non-RG?

In first year, we did a poll in class about who wants to be a lawyer. About 50% of people's hands went up. For the bar, there was about 5% with hands still up.

I think the reason your cohort is struggling is because of unreal expectations and not having any idea of how to pursue those aspirations.

The type of people who visit your uni tells you little. You could do GLS or CPS, even without going into commercial litigation.

Your bad attitude might prevent you becoming a lawyer. The other poster's optimism might be the reason for their success. And stop banging on about RG; no one gives a toss about it. The only reason people care one bit is because it gives them an easy excuse for why they're failing in life.
Reply 16
[QUOTE="Notorious_B.I.G.;76055932"]In first year, we did a poll in class about who wants to be a lawyer. About 50% of people's hands went up. For the bar, there was about 5% with hands still up.

I think the reason your cohort is struggling is because of unreal expectations and not having any idea of how to pursue those aspirations.

The type of people who visit your uni tells you little. You could do GLS or CPS, even without going into commercial litigation.

Your bad attitude might prevent you becoming a lawyer. The other poster's optimism might be the reason for their success. And stop banging on about RG; no one gives a toss about it. The only reason people care one bit is because it gives them an easy excuse for why they're failing in life.

I'm inclined to agree with you here, but at my age and life experience, I know better than to be too optimistic, that's when getting bitten hurts the most... when you're not bracing for it. I've been bitten hard quite a few times and now I know when to brace. Practically all your waking life.

I think that (and I would advise) you always look at the worst case scenario. That way you're better prepared and if the best case comes around you're more than prepared.

I'm just sick of sitting around writing essays waiting for my life to start. And while I'm sat here doing this s**t, I'm at a University that would probably get laughed at on job or LLM applications (to good Uni's).

I suppose it varies by University as to what people want to do. The point was that just because somebody wants to be a barrister, it doesn't mean they'll achieve it, therefore judging the number of barristers that are trained every year doesn't accurately show how many people aspire to it.

I'm not sure which cohort you're referring to.
Reply 17
In first year, we did a poll in class about who wants to be a lawyer. About 50% of people's hands went up. For the bar, there was about 5% with hands still up.

Exactly, thank you. Apparently his class speaks for the rest of the city and the rest of the countries Universities. Ridiculous. So much more to Law than doing an LPC course or BPTC course. A lot infact become Paralegals or don't work in Law at all.
Reply 18
[QUOTE="Hughey89;76056240"]

I'm inclined to agree with you here, but at my age and life experience, I know better than to be too optimistic, that's when getting bitten hurts the most... when you're not bracing for it. I've been bitten hard quite a few times and now I know when to brace. Practically all your waking life.

I think that (and I would advise) you always look at the worst case scenario. That way you're better prepared and if the best case comes around you're more than prepared.

I'm just sick of sitting around writing essays waiting for my life to start. And while I'm sat here doing this s**t, I'm at a University that would probably get laughed at on job or LLM applications (to good Uni's).

I suppose it varies by University as to what people want to do. The point was that just because somebody wants to be a barrister, it doesn't mean they'll achieve it, therefore judging the number of barristers that are trained every year doesn't accurately show how many people aspire to it.

I'm not sure which cohort you're referring to.

Well then quit. You're ridiculous. You ask for peoples opinion on what to do and basically tell them they're wrong and try to shi* on them. What University do you go to? See your *****in* all over that too. You've had over 15 years for your life to 'start'. Maybe knuckle down now and complete something rather than drag yourself and anyone who you asked for opinions down.
Reply 19
Original post by J-SP
If you don’t like your degree then stop it. But you will have wasted the time and money you have dedicated to it so far. Many would suggest continuing with it at least will keep more doors open than if you leave and many will close.

Is it hard to understand this? Why ask for peoples opinions if you're just going to argue with them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending