The Student Room Group

Does this sound like a good A-Level Combination?

I’m choosing my A-Levels and currently i’ve settled on doing English Literature, Mathematics, Biology and Physics.

I’m not sure what i want to do as a degree or for a career, since my decisions fluctuate so often, however, some possibilities are : neuroscience, forensics, maths, law and architecture.

Would my A-Levels be appropriate for these kinds of degrees? Would the fact that I don’t do chemistry pose a really big issue? Any help is appreciated thanks
I’d say take Chemisty instead of Physics + you don’t need 4 A-levels
Chemistry would complement Biology, Maths, and Physics well, but do YOU want to do it? If you're no great fan of Chemistry (look at the specification online or ask your teacher if you can flick through a textbook), don't take it - you'll need to put double the work in to do well.

It's impossible to know what you want to do with your life at 15/16. Heck, it's nigh-on impossible to know what you want to do with your life at 40. Focus first and foremost on the next couple of years and what it will be like to study during them, and then glance to your 10-year future, not the other way around. If your subject choices are ones that you enjoy and/or want to study, the rest will come much more naturally.
Reply 3
Original post by SummerStrawberry
Chemistry would complement Biology, Maths, and Physics well, but do YOU want to do it? If you're no great fan of Chemistry (look at the specification online or ask your teacher if you can flick through a textbook), don't take it - you'll need to put double the work in to do well.

It's impossible to know what you want to do with your life at 15/16. Heck, it's nigh-on impossible to know what you want to do with your life at 40. Focus first and foremost on the next couple of years and what it will be like to study during them, and then glance to your 10-year future, not the other way around. If your subject choices are ones that you enjoy and/or want to study, the rest will come much more naturally.

i would do chemistry, but unfortunately i didn’t take it at GCSE and i really really doubt the teacher at my school would allow me to do A-Level without GCSE
Original post by Luca Ward
i would do chemistry, but unfortunately i didn’t take it at GCSE and i really really doubt the teacher at my school would allow me to do A-Level without GCSE

I assume therefore that you took the 'Double Science' GCSE? If so you should be set-up to take A-Level Chemistry (same as Biology/Physics?)
Reply 5
I assume therefore that you took the 'Double Science' GCSE? If so you should be set-up to take A-Level Chemistry (same as Biology/Physics?)

I live in Northern Ireland, and at my school you either did single award, or else you could pick whichever individual sciences you want, and i chose to do Biology and Physics but dropped chemistry 2 years ago
I live in Northern Ireland, and at my school you either did single award, or else you could pick whichever individual sciences you want, and i chose to do Biology and Physics but dropped chemistry 2 years ago

Ahh that makes sense - so have you not done any Chemistry beyond Y9 (or the Northern Irish equivalent if there's a difference)?
Reply 7
Ahh that makes sense - so have you not done any Chemistry beyond Y9 (or the Northern Irish equivalent if there's a difference)?

unfortunately no i haven’t
(edited 6 years ago)
unfortunately no i haven’t

In which case I think your decision has been made for you - if you really, really, really want to take Chemistry though I'd talk to your teacher (you could fairly easily self-study the GCSE content over the summer and then clarify anything you can't quite grasp in September).

What do you think to your other option choices?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest