The Student Room Group

AS/A Level Revision (A/A* students!!!)

Hey guys,

I am predicted straight As for my AS exams, and of course, I've been studying and revising throughout the year, but now that exams are nearing, I'm wondering how much I should actually be revising?

I use pomodoro, and on weekdays when I have school, I do about 8. On weekends, I do about 16 +. I feel like I'm not studying enough.. can anyone share their revision timetable and tips?

Any help is appreciated!!
Are you taking (IAL) International A Levels?
Original post by Willandy123
Are you taking (IAL) International A Levels?

No, I'm just taking the normal(?) GCE a levels..
Original post by heartshaker
No, I'm just taking the normal(?) GCE a levels..

Its almost the same thing but one is more slightly more difficult than the other (Not going to say which one). I will try to answer your question with the best of my memory, since i have taken the AS exam almost 2 years ago (Currently I'm in Uni).
For my AS exam, I just finished the all the past papers from all the variations. e.g. AQA, GCE, IAL. From those past papers, I noted down the most frequently asked question and memorized them (Really Helpful). Next, I read the textbook like Im reading a story book, twice. I prepared 3 months in advance.
In case you were wondering, I took Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and I got straight A's (Not to brag :smile: ). I dont think AS is something you should worry about. When you get to A2, you would know what I mean.
Its almost the same thing but one is more slightly more difficult than the other (Not going to say which one). I will try to answer your question with the best of my memory, since i have taken the AS exam almost 2 years ago (Currently I'm in Uni).
For my AS exam, I just finished the all the past papers from all the variations. e.g. AQA, GCE, IAL. From those past papers, I noted down the most frequently asked question and memorized them (Really Helpful). Next, I read the textbook like Im reading a story book, twice. I prepared 3 months in advance.
In case you were wondering, I took Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and I got straight A's (Not to brag :smile: ). I dont think AS is something you should worry about. When you get to A2, you would know what I mean.

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, I'm aware the IAL one is harder but I believe that's only for the edexcel exam board?

And I will definitely try that method of memorising frequently asked exam questions. One more thing to ask- how many hours did you roughly revise for in a day?

Mate,how did you revise physics and what textbooks did you use for it?
Also,by this time,were you done with unit 2 of bio,chem and physics?
I'm doing IAL btw.
Reply 6

Do you mind me asking how you revised for Physics and Maths?
Original post by arizonaidiot
Mate,how did you revise physics and what textbooks did you use for it?
Also,by this time,were you done with unit 2 of bio,chem and physics?
I'm doing IAL btw.

For your first question, I used this book for physics https://www.scribd.com/doc/315225668/Edexcel-as-Student-Book-Physics (not sure if you could click on the link)

For the second question, I took the IAL exam in May/June and I clearly remember my first exam being Unit 3 in April.

P.S. I made several youtube videos for IAL Physics, Biology and Chemistry which introduces the most frequently asked questions. I'll link this, check to see if its of any use. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb5sFjIJqxvIi3yigoWIGoQ?view_as=subscriber
Original post by Black Water
Do you mind me asking how you revised for Physics and Maths?

Just do alot of past papers for Maths and Physics (This is key), especially for maths. For Physics, memorize the most frequently asked questions.
I have made a video for this, in my youtube channel. :smile:
Original post by heartshaker
Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, I'm aware the IAL one is harder but I believe that's only for the edexcel exam board?

And I will definitely try that method of memorising frequently asked exam questions. One more thing to ask- how many hours did you roughly revise for in a day?

For a day, probably 3-4 hours. But, when its one day or two days before the exam, I'll revise for 6-7 hours per day.
Reply 10
Just do alot of past papers for Maths and Physics (This is key), especially for maths. For Physics, memorize the most frequently asked questions.
I have made a video for this, in my youtube channel. :smile:

Thank you for this. :smile: Have you finished A-Levels?
Original post by Black Water
Thank you for this. :smile: Have you finished A-Levels?

Yep, Both A2 and AS.
Im currently studying dentistry in HKU. :smile:
Reply 12
Yep, Both A2 and AS.
Im currently studying dentistry in HKU. :smile:

Nice, well done. :smile:
For your first question, I used this book for physics https://www.scribd.com/doc/315225668/Edexcel-as-Student-Book-Physics (not sure if you could click on the link)

For the second question, I took the IAL exam in May/June and I clearly remember my first exam being Unit 3 in April.

P.S. I made several youtube videos for IAL Physics, Biology and Chemistry which introduces the most frequently asked questions. I'll link this, check to see if its of any use. :smile:

Thanks
The link for the book won't open,can you write the name instead?
Again,thanks alot!

Quick Reply

Latest