The Student Room Group

Bristol vs Sheffield for biomedical science

Hello everyone!
Can someone help me with this one? I m an EU student, meaning that I wasn t able to visit them. I m more interested in the quality of teaching, facilities, prestige etc
Original post by malinaanghel
Hello everyone!
Can someone help me with this one? I m an EU student, meaning that I wasn t able to visit them. I m more interested in the quality of teaching, facilities, prestige etc

Pick based on the course and content. Prestige means nothing.
For biomed and other biological sciences they're practically equal. Look at the specific modules and course structures and see which you prefer. Both great cities and both great departments. Went to open days at both and preferred sheffield's facilities and city layout.
I wuld just add Sheffield is going to be a noticeably cheaper place to live.
If you cant visit then have a look on youtube to get a feel for the cities and unis.
They are quite different cities, each with pos and cons plus their own character.
Hello everyone!

Bristol is nicer city and is great for shopping and culture but a lot more expensive.
Course wise Bristol is more chemistry but when I went to the open day I loved it a lot more than Sheffield and the staff were really friendly and engaging.
I would agree with what everyone else has said above, don’t base your choice on rankings and look at the modules. To be honest you can’t go wrong as they are both great universities.
Good luck!
Original post by grmonaghan56
Bristol is nicer city and is great for shopping and culture but a lot more expensive.
Course wise Bristol is more chemistry but when I went to the open day I loved it a lot more than Sheffield and the staff were really friendly and engaging.
I would agree with what everyone else has said above, don’t base your choice on rankings and look at the modules. To be honest you can’t go wrong as they are both great universities.
Good luck!

If the course puts more emphasis on chemistry is better in this case (biomedical science)? and why did you enjoyed it more?
(edited 6 years ago)
If the course puts more emphasis on chemistry is better in this case (biomedical science)? and why did you enjoyed it more?

It doesn’t make it better or worse it just depends on what you like. All courses will cover some chemistry and some biology at the beginning so that you are all on the same page. A long as you are doing the right a levels (or equivalent) then it doesn’t really make much of a difference.
I preferred it more just because of the general atmosphere and staff and students. I also like the content better as you have modules on tumours and cancer but that is just my opinion.
Bristol is all very expensive so do consider that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending