The Student Room Group

A-Levels For Maths/Languages

I'm choosing my GCSEs at the moment so this is kind of irrelevant but I want to make sure I choose the right GCSEs so I can take the right A-Levels. Here are a few A-Level combinations, so it would be appreciated if you could tell me which would be best for a later degree choice of Maths or Languages (I'm very indecisive woops), and also which A Level choices would be best for just Languages, and which would be best for just Maths.

1) Maths, FM, Physics and Spanish
2) Maths, Physics, Spanish and French
3) Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry
4) Maths, Spanish, French, Economics

?
I don't know about languages but for Maths degrees:

- Maths
- Further Maths
- Physics
- Chemistry
- (Computer Science)
If you’re not sure on your degree choice yet, then take maths, fm and both languages.
Original post by thekidwhogames
I don't know about languages but for Maths degrees:

- Maths
- Further Maths
- Physics
- Chemistry
- (Computer Science)

Ok thanks!! My college doesn't offer compute science so unfortunately that won't be an option:frown:
Original post by okurr123
If you’re not sure on your degree choice yet, then take maths, fm and both languages.

But I wouldn't be able to get onto a maths degree at a prestigious university without physics, would I?
Original post by tooschool4cool
But I wouldn't be able to get onto a maths degree at a prestigious university without physics, would I?

Not necessarily, you don’t need physics to do maths, you would only need maths to do physics.

Have you ever considered studying Linguistics? It’s like a mixture of both maths and languages so maybe that could be an option.
If I were you, I would do Maths, FM and the two languages. If you did Physics and Spanish, you would be doing 4 of the most difficult A levels, without Spanish relating to anything. This would probably make you not like it as much, which would potentially make you drop it quickly. Spanish and French compliment each other in the same way FM and Maths do, so will probably make the most sense.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
Not necessarily, you don’t need physics to do maths, you would only need maths to do physics.

Have you ever considered studying Linguistics? It’s like a mixture of both maths and languages so maybe that could be an option.

No, but that sounds interesting, let me do some research! For maths, would I be able to get into, say Oxford, if I took maths, fm, physics and Spanish (instead of chem)?
Original post by Michelle08
If I were you, I would do Maths, FM and the two languages. If you did Physics and Spanish, you would be doing 4 of the most difficult A levels, without Spanish relating to anything. This would probably make you not like it as much, which would potentially make you drop it quickly. Spanish and French compliment each other in the same way FM and Maths do, so will probably make the most sense.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

That makes sense!! So if I decide just to do Maths, should I take maths, fm, physics and chem, or stick with those just because I love languages so much?
No, but that sounds interesting, let me do some research! For maths, would I be able to get into, say Oxford, if I took maths, fm, physics and Spanish (instead of chem)?

It’s basically about the science behind languages, a popular choice for people doing maths at a level so yeah, and if you want to do maths I don’t think it matters what your fourth subject is, as the other subjects are directly relevant to studying maths.
It’s basically about the science behind languages, a popular choice for people doing maths at a level so yeah, and if you want to do maths I don’t think it matters what your fourth subject is, as the other subjects are directly relevant to studying maths.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Just to put your mind to rest:
For Oxford: Only needs Maths and Further Maths to AS (but might as well go to full)
Birmingham: Only Maths
Warwick: Maths, Further Maths and an A in a Non-Maths subject
Imperial: Maths, Further Maths and a third subject (It is specified that it does not need to be Chemistry or Physics, and it does not effect the application)

I just chose random good universities, but I hope this helps!
Thank you so much for your help!!

No problem, good luck with your choices and it’s impressive that you’re thinking so well ahead :smile:
That makes sense!! So if I decide just to do Maths, should I take maths, fm, physics and chem, or stick with those just because I love languages so much?

If Maths is your passion, definitely have Maths and FM. From what I can tell, universities aren't put off for maths if you've done French and Spanish (which are good subjects anyway). The only problem would be if you want to go down a more scientific route eg. Medicine
Just to put your mind to rest:
For Oxford: Only needs Maths and Further Maths to AS (but might as well go to full)
Birmingham: Only Maths
Warwick: Maths, Further Maths and an A in a Non-Maths subject
Imperial: Maths, Further Maths and a third subject (It is specified that it does not need to be Chemistry or Physics, and it does not effect the application)

I just chose random good universities, but I hope this helps!

Oml thank you!! So helpful x
No problem, good luck with your choices and it’s impressive that you’re thinking so well ahead :smile:

I've looked at some jobs, and a linguistics degree allows me to go into the civil service, become a barrister (jobs I was previously interested in) and also a forensic linguist, which sounds really interesting so it definitely looks like a good option for me! Thank you again:smile:
If Maths is your passion, definitely have Maths and FM. From what I can tell, universities aren't put off for maths if you've done French and Spanish (which are good subjects anyway). The only problem would be if you want to go down a more scientific route eg. Medicine

If I was ever going to do a STEM degree it would only EVER be in maths:biggrin: so thank youu, I'll definetly do Maths, fm and Spanish and nearer the time I'll decide between French and physics! (But for now I'll definitely choose triple, French and Spanish:smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest