The Student Room Group

I cried in front of teacher and classmates!😢

.. i think I'm way too sensitive
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Virja
I was prepared for my speech but I couldn't deliver it (stage fear) and then I went back to my bench and started crying even the teacher was rude. If you see someone cry please do not laugh or just keep talking about them.. i think I'm way too sensitive.. or maybe its just others who think if you can't give a presentation you're already done with your life. Is it really true that you can't do anything if you can't give a presentation?

I can't give presentations well but life isn't over.
You should try doing toastmaster. It will improve your confidence and presentation skills. :smile:
I know how it feels since I have anxiety, don't worry about it just slowly practice talking in front of a certain amount of people and then slowly build up to it. Don't give a **** about what others think of you, it really doesn't matter
Original post by Virja
I was prepared for my speech but I couldn't deliver it (stage fear) and then I went back to my bench and started crying even the teacher was rude. If you see someone cry please do not laugh or just keep talking about them.. i think I'm way too sensitive.. or maybe its just others who think if you can't give a presentation you're already done with your life. Is it really true that you can't do anything if you can't give a presentation?

I hope it isnt true... lmao this is me aswell
Reply 5
I have anxiety and will start panicking a bit inside and begin stuttering when having to do a presentation. I think with practice, your confidence will go up. Try record you presentation or in front of people you trust (like family, friends or even record yourself).

Not all jobs require you to do presentations, but it is a VERY useful skill to have.
Reply 6
Original post by Bill Nye
I hope it isnt true... lmao this is me aswell

It happened today like 2 hrs ago😔
Original post by Virja
Is it really true that you can't do anything if you can't give a presentation?

I'm presuming you mean in terms of employment... don't worry that's not true. Here are a few reasons:

1. You're presumably in year 11, or perhaps younger, so there is still time to learn how to give a speech before you get a job.
2. In all seriousness there are several jobs where you don't need public speaking. I mean, don't become a teacher or a politician, but hairdressers and dentists and opticians and cashiers and stable workers and bakers and chefs (the list goes on) are never really going to be told to make a speech in front of lots of people
3. Expecting someone to overcome what seems like a lot of anxiety almost instantly is never going to work. Your school should ideally have a plan to SLOWLY build you up to this. I have anxiety and I was too afraid to go to my locker during what would normally be lesson time when we had a different timetable during mock exams in year 11... so a member of staff from my school literally came to collect me from each exam to take me to my locker. When she was ill, I had to find an invigilator and ask them to walk me to my locker, which was a bit more nerve-racking. Eventually I managed to get to my locker by myself, mainly because I wasn't rushed into it. In overcoming fears, each step shouldn't be ridiculously scary: if it is, then clearly it's too big a step.

You know, you could try do the speech in front of one friend. When you're comfortable with that, do it in front of two friends, etc. Then one day try it with just the teacher and no other audience. It's about building up in baby steps.

Either way, I send my sympathies and wish you good luck!
how old are you
Reply 9
Original post by Ray_Shadows
how old are you

17 :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
You sound young.. relax that’s normal some of us just become more anxious when confronting such situations. I believe as you grow up and you mature handling people, exposing yourself, talking in public etc becomes easier but nonetheless you have to practice. I don’t know for certain but most people face anxiety during presentations it’s just that some are better at hiding it
Reply 11
English isn't my language.. I wanted to find solutions so I asked you guys!
Original post by Virja

ehh then i wouldn't worry about , not everyone has had equal experiences in stage participation

if people give you hassle over this then just ignore it as much as you can and don't respond back to their insults , this will all blow over eventually

keep ur chin up sunshine :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Ray_Shadows
ehh then i wouldn't worry about , not everyone has had equal experiences in stage participation

if people give you hassle over this then just ignore it as much as you can and don't respond back to their insults , this will all blow over eventually

keep ur chin up sunshine :smile:

Yup thank you.. I'll try my best..
I feel bad because when somebody cries I'm usually the one laughing my ass off
Reply 15
Original post by james ionicbond
I feel bad because when somebody cries I'm usually the one laughing my ass off

Ooh
Original post by Virja

No, but having confidence and good social skills is important.
Reply 17
"introverts"
Original post by Virja

Hey dont worry a very high % of people are fearful when giving presentations until they get used to it.

The key is not to care.
Have a clear plan you can follow.
Practice in from of the mirror. Practice removes fear.

Nope it isnt true that not being able to do presentations means you cant do anything.

It is better though if you overcome your fear and realise other people are scared, it doesnt matter and you are bound to be better than some. Dont give up, practice and you will find it a lot easier. Honestly a lot of people arent even listening, so you are worried about something that doesnt exist. the important point is you try.
Reply 19
Original post by Virja

Public speaking takes lots of practice, there are very a few people who do it well naturally.

Don't worry about the last presentation. Rise above it and just encourage yourself saying next time you'll do better.

We've all had different 'disasters' to overcome. Keep practicing and use every audience to practice on. Use them for your benefit and to build yourself up.

Quick Reply

Latest