The Student Room Group

Was I wrong fo reporting my situation?

I need to get this off my chest because it has been consuming my thougths since May. I keep replaying events in my head and thinking about what I should have done. It has been triggering my emotions to the point where I burst out in tears when I try to explain how it made me feel. I am a univeristy student currently in foundation year, I started in january which where I met this indiviual as we are in the same class. Shortly after meeting this indiviual he has sexually harrasing me for 5 months. So this person 'A' was supposed to be my friend but it wasn't clicking his head despite me repeating myself.

Welcome day 12th Jan: A asked me to be his girlfriend because he can tell I am good person despite the fact I met him that day. I turned it down and told him I'm not ready for a relationship and I want to focus on studying only. We agreed we would be friends.

A would keep making propositions of a relationship talking about the future even though we are strictly friends which I turned it down multiple times.

Flirt obnoxiously with other girls in front of me and the next second would tell me we are going to be together as if it was reassuring. I didn't care, want to hear or know that because I was not interested in that possibility.

A kept asking me to go to his house to smoke with him alone, I said no multiple times and had to make excuses to not go.

Made comments about other girls bums to me and mine which got me angry, so I stormed off after he made a nasty look to me while describing my body to someone on the phone.

Point out to girls in uni that he wanted to have sex with, to me. I told him to stop everything that's in your head.

Showed me sex-tapes of him and multiple other girls and would describe in detail about it. I told I didn't want to hear it several had to turn my head, forcefully distract myself to avoid watching it but he kept telling me to watch it.

Told me he gets jealous when I talk to other guys, I told him there's nothing I can do about that. It was bad to the point he would make crude comments such as 'I'll make you call me daddy' in front of other three people. I was so disgusted and felt violated and embarrassed. I told him that it will never happen. After this he told me he gets jealous when I talk to other guys.

16th May: I saved a seat for him; he came in late sat in front me. During class, he told me to move and sit next to him. I told him to sit next to me because I saved a seat. He began to get frustrated because I wouldn't move. Another classmate told him to let me sit where I want. During lunchtime ,he told me someone dm'ed on social media and said that he should marry me. I exclaimed What and Who? and proceeded to roll my eyes. During break, I went to another class to talk to my friend (male). Me, A and two other classmates were on our way home and ran back to say goodbye to my friend (male) from a different class. I got to the lifts and A seemed annoyed/angry. He didn't speak to me the rest of walk to the station. The train came, he said hugged and said bye to the classmate, nothing to me. The classmate asked him why he didn't say bye to me then he hugged me and kissed me on the cheek. I was shocked so I just jumped on the train as it arrived.

He also asked my friend 'M' who lives with her boyfriend and infant child if he can come over to her place at midnight as well as sending her sexual messages describing what he wanted to do to her.

After telling my mum and friends about they have been concerned and told me to report it. I held off on it because I really thought it would stop. I reported him on the 17th May and univeristy suspended A for two weeks. During the two weeks, they took witness statements from me, M , other classmates and A. The university concluded by giving him a warning and probation and they let him come back to school as well as my class. I wasn't in when he came back as I was working however M told me that he immediately went to telling other classmates that I lied about everything, calling me an idiot for reporting me and about how he got his stepmother involved. As well as other classmates agreeing with him and calling me a liar to the point where M told them the same thing happened to her. Mind you, hes not angry at her, he even told her to lie on her statement so he can look innocent. When I came into the next class, not one person said anything. The two girls who are friends of his I confided in about the whole 'C' and 'Am' told me that they would have confronted him about it if they have known earlier and C told me to get her number so I could talk to her about anything. Lo and behold, C and Am have both turned on me since A came back, couldn't even make eye contact with me.

As much as I am trying to deal with it in a calm way, I can't help but feel all eyes on me and the fact that so many people have turned on me. I have my friends and mum's support but I can help but feel scared and alone. I am stuck in a cycle of self doubt and anxious thoughts. His charisma and smear campaign against me has me wondering what I done to people to make them believe I would ever lie about this. I tried to get help and I feel let down greatly by the classmates, by the university, which is why I was represssing this for so long. I could not handle the unhinged behaviours anymore. I didn't even know the behaviours were sexual harrasment until my friend told me a week prior to reporting it. That was when I realised the sereveity of what I have been put through. Am I wrong for even reporting this? Why would people believe I could lie about this? I feel like I am going crazy.
You did absolutely nothing wrong in this situation. In fact, the only criticism I would provide is that you should have reported it as soon as you first felt uncomfortable. He built his own case of persistent sexual harassment and even a case of sexual assault by refusing to respect your boundaries, and the university acted appropriately in line of the harm that he has done to you (at first).

If the university reduced the punishment to a warning and probation, it is likely that none or hardly any of your classmates provided evidence in your favour to suggest that A sexually harassed you persistently and that A lied in his witness statement, so they chose not to punish him any further as a means of preserving their reputation if it did end up being false. C and Am have probably been told an altered sequence of events and, with the reduced punishment, have decided to believe you are lying instead of dropping their friend for his behaviour.

Together, they likely launched a smear campaign against you by spreading the word that you 'lied', and as a result, your classmates are ostracising you. I believe it's quite horrid and unfair to not consider or speak to the person affected by this and instead take the accused's story at face value, but that's what I think has happened here.

If you have any messages or written evidence as proof of your claims or the aftermaths of your claims, I would search for them and offer to provide them to people who are willing to listen to you. If you can't, then there is solace in the fact that you're coming up to the end of the year now, so when you start your undergraduate course, you'll likely leave most of your classmates behind and this situation should hopefully be left behind with it.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. You'll make it through this tough time. Take care of yourself.
Reply 2
Thank you so much I will be moving universities after july. I dont have any evidence apart from M who has screenshots of meesages and her experience. I was always alone when alot of these events.

Original post by SagaciousSag
You did absolutely nothing wrong in this situation. In fact, the only criticism I would provide is that you should have reported it as soon as you first felt uncomfortable. He built his own case of persistent sexual harassment and even a case of sexual assault by refusing to respect your boundaries, and the university acted appropriately in line of the harm that he has done to you (at first).

If the university reduced the punishment to a warning and probation, it is likely that none or hardly any of your classmates provided evidence in your favour to suggest that A sexually harassed you persistently and that A lied in his witness statement, so they chose not to punish him any further as a means of preserving their reputation if it did end up being false. C and Am have probably been told an altered sequence of events and, with the reduced punishment, have decided to believe you are lying instead of dropping their friend for his behaviour.

Together, they likely launched a smear campaign against you by spreading the word that you 'lied', and as a result, your classmates are ostracising you. I believe it's quite horrid and unfair to not consider or speak to the person affected by this and instead take the accused's story at face value, but that's what I think has happened here.

If you have any messages or written evidence as proof of your claims or the aftermaths of your claims, I would search for them and offer to provide them to people who are willing to listen to you. If you can't, then there is solace in the fact that you're coming up to the end of the year now, so when you start your undergraduate course, you'll likely leave most of your classmates behind and this situation should hopefully be left behind with it.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. You'll make it through this tough time. Take care of yourself.
Firstly, no you were not wrong for reporting it. I think you are pretty brave for ding so as it can be quite daunting to do so, as you have seen you then have to face people afterwards.
He does not sound like a great person and is worth staying away from.
I see above you are changing Universities in July so that is good.

Uni is such a short time when compared to your life span, so focus on your education and move on. If anyone contacts you further make sure to gather any evidence you can.

Your safety, well-being and education is your priority so don't feel you have done anything wrong for looking out for yourself especially when others have let you down (friends and Uni). It sounds like you have good support outside of that environment which is good.
Reply 4
I will my best to get solid evidence that was biggest mistake. Thank you so much, I'll try my hardest to put myself first more.

Original post by JDSensations
Firstly, no you were not wrong for reporting it. I think you are pretty brave for ding so as it can be quite daunting to do so, as you have seen you then have to face people afterwards.

Uni is such a short time when compared to your life span, so focus on your education and move on. If anyone contacts you further make sure to gather any evidence you can.

Your safety, well-being and education is your priority so don't feel you have done anything wrong for looking out for yourself especially when others have let you down (friends and Uni). It sounds like you have good support outside of that environment which is good.
Reply 5
Original post by SagaciousSag

Original post by JDSensations

PRSOM
Reply 6
??

Original post by Anonymous
PRSOM
Reply 7
??

Ignore that message I was just repping the two posters who gave advice :smile:
I need to get this off my chest because it has been consuming my thougths since May. I keep replaying events in my head and thinking about what I should have done. It has been triggering my emotions to the point where I burst out in tears when I try to explain how it made me feel. I am a univeristy student currently in foundation year, I started in january which where I met this indiviual as we are in the same class. Shortly after meeting this indiviual he has sexually harrasing me for 5 months. So this person 'A' was supposed to be my friend but it wasn't clicking his head despite me repeating myself.
Welcome day 12th Jan: A asked me to be his girlfriend because he can tell I am good person despite the fact I met him that day. I turned it down and told him I'm not ready for a relationship and I want to focus on studying only. We agreed we would be friends.
A would keep making propositions of a relationship talking about the future even though we are strictly friends which I turned it down multiple times.
Flirt obnoxiously with other girls in front of me and the next second would tell me we are going to be together as if it was reassuring. I didn't care, want to hear or know that because I was not interested in that possibility.
A kept asking me to go to his house to smoke with him alone, I said no multiple times and had to make excuses to not go.
Made comments about other girls bums to me and mine which got me angry, so I stormed off after he made a nasty look to me while describing my body to someone on the phone.
Point out to girls in uni that he wanted to have sex with, to me. I told him to stop everything that's in your head.
Showed me sex-tapes of him and multiple other girls and would describe in detail about it. I told I didn't want to hear it several had to turn my head, forcefully distract myself to avoid watching it but he kept telling me to watch it.
Told me he gets jealous when I talk to other guys, I told him there's nothing I can do about that. It was bad to the point he would make crude comments such as 'I'll make you call me daddy' in front of other three people. I was so disgusted and felt violated and embarrassed. I told him that it will never happen. After this he told me he gets jealous when I talk to other guys.
16th May: I saved a seat for him; he came in late sat in front me. During class, he told me to move and sit next to him. I told him to sit next to me because I saved a seat. He began to get frustrated because I wouldn't move. Another classmate told him to let me sit where I want. During lunchtime ,he told me someone dm'ed on social media and said that he should marry me. I exclaimed What and Who? and proceeded to roll my eyes. During break, I went to another class to talk to my friend (male). Me, A and two other classmates were on our way home and ran back to say goodbye to my friend (male) from a different class. I got to the lifts and A seemed annoyed/angry. He didn't speak to me the rest of walk to the station. The train came, he said hugged and said bye to the classmate, nothing to me. The classmate asked him why he didn't say bye to me then he hugged me and kissed me on the cheek. I was shocked so I just jumped on the train as it arrived.
He also asked my friend 'M' who lives with her boyfriend and infant child if he can come over to her place at midnight as well as sending her sexual messages describing what he wanted to do to her.
After telling my mum and friends about they have been concerned and told me to report it. I held off on it because I really thought it would stop. I reported him on the 17th May and univeristy suspended A for two weeks. During the two weeks, they took witness statements from me, M , other classmates and A. The university concluded by giving him a warning and probation and they let him come back to school as well as my class. I wasn't in when he came back as I was working however M told me that he immediately went to telling other classmates that I lied about everything, calling me an idiot for reporting me and about how he got his stepmother involved. As well as other classmates agreeing with him and calling me a liar to the point where M told them the same thing happened to her. Mind you, hes not angry at her, he even told her to lie on her statement so he can look innocent. When I came into the next class, not one person said anything. The two girls who are friends of his I confided in about the whole 'C' and 'Am' told me that they would have confronted him about it if they have known earlier and C told me to get her number so I could talk to her about anything. Lo and behold, C and Am have both turned on me since A came back, couldn't even make eye contact with me.
As much as I am trying to deal with it in a calm way, I can't help but feel all eyes on me and the fact that so many people have turned on me. I have my friends and mum's support but I can help but feel scared and alone. I am stuck in a cycle of self doubt and anxious thoughts. His charisma and smear campaign against me has me wondering what I done to people to make them believe I would ever lie about this. I tried to get help and I feel let down greatly by the classmates, by the university, which is why I was represssing this for so long. I could not handle the unhinged behaviours anymore. I didn't even know the behaviours were sexual harrasment until my friend told me a week prior to reporting it. That was when I realised the sereveity of what I have been put through. Am I wrong for even reporting this? Why would people believe I could lie about this? I feel like I am going crazy.

No you haven't done nothing wrong, he sounded like an utter creep 😠

You have done absolutely nothing wrong but unis are letting people in your situation down very badly.He is a deranged individual who may well pose a threat to others at the uni and you had the courage to speak up.Even if you had concrete evidence,in fact your friend is exactly that they still would try and avoid any trouble.Almost exactly the same thing happened to my daughter and she ended up leaving her actual degree course because of him and the lies he spread about her.The two week suspension only caused more trouble for her as he stopped harassing her but started to blacken her reputation instead.
So glad you are moving on elsewhere in July.Take care and we are here if you need us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending