The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Film Production Interview at Salford

Making this post as got a few questions about my interview for the course and overall questions that could help myself or any others applying for this course.

Firstly, my interview is March 21'st, is the interview a group interview? And I saw on a post a year or so ago for the same course that they were asked to prepare a short report or written assignment, is this required? As I haven't heard any info on this, just to turn up on the day.

Also in my personal statement, I provided links to videos I worked on, what kind of work are they expecting to see? Filming and editing is my hobby so I do create videos in my spare time, not of the likes of short films though.

Dress code?

And finally since the course is apparently very popular, did everyone who applied get an interview? As after speaking to the course lead, apparently they received 1000+ applications for the course, and apparently only 48% get a place, does that mean everyone got an interview? And how many spaces are usually on a course like this? As I'm unsure whether the course only has 1 group of students, or multiple at a time.

Any info on these questions would be great.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jack33102
Making this post as got a few questions about my interview for the course and overall questions that could help myself or any others applying for this course.

Firstly, my interview is March 21'st, is the interview a group interview? And I saw on a post a year or so ago for the same course that they were asked to prepare a short report or written assignment, is this required? As I haven't heard any info on this, just to turn up on the day.

Also in my personal statement, I provided links to videos I worked on, what kind of work are they expecting to see? Filming and editing is my hobby so I do create videos in my spare time, not of the likes of short films though.

Dress code?

And finally since the course is apparently very popular, did everyone who applied get an interview? As after speaking to the course lead, apparently they received 1000+ applications for the course, and apparently only 48% get a place, does that mean everyone got an interview? And how many spaces are usually on a course like this? As I'm unsure whether the course only has 1 group of students, or multiple at a time.

Hi @jack33102!

Firstly, congratulations on the interview, that's awesome! I am currently a first year Film Production student myself.

Personally, my interview went incredibly quick! We got put into groups, which I felt was better that way because everyone was in the same position!

You can find out some more information about your interview using the link below.

ARTS & MEDIA INTERVIEW INFO: https://goo.gl/ankUyS

It's great that you know how to edit! That was something I wasn't too confident with to begin with but now I'm a Premiere Pro wizard! So you are already a step ahead of me when I was in your position.

When it comes to dress code I'd go smart casual, not too much, not too little.

The course does get over 1000 applications each year however not everyone is guaranteed an interview. The interview invitation is based on your application and grades as a whole.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Oliver, Student Social Media Assistant.
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by University of Salford
Hi @jack33102!

Firstly, congratulations on the interview, that's awesome! I am currently a first year Film Production student myself.

Personally, my interview went incredibly quick! We got put into groups, which I felt was better that way because everyone was in the same position!

You can find out some more information about your interview using the link below.

ARTS & MEDIA INTERVIEW INFO: https://goo.gl/ankUyS

It's great that you know how to edit! That was something I wasn't too confident with to begin with but now I'm a Premiere Pro wizard! So you are already a step ahead of me when I was in your position.

When it comes to dress code I'd go smart casual, not too much, not too little.

The course does get over 1000 applications each year however not everyone is guaranteed an interview. The interview invitation is based on your application and grades as a whole.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Hi Oliver
Do you recommend the course and the uni? I have a conditional offer for Film Production for this September. Are you staying in Peel Park and if so is it any good?
Original post by jack33102

Dress code?

Hello,
Your interview will be a group one, have you not had an email about it? There will be two tasks in the interview a solo one and group one. The solo one is a very short essay about why the short film they show you is effective and the group one is to pitch an idea for a film in a group.

The only thing you need to bring to the interview is a little passport photo of yourself, this is just so that the 1st and 2nd years that are helping out in the interviews know that they are writing notes about the right person. Also if you have a portfolio/showreal you should bring this on an ORGANISED pen-drive.

They get people with all types of experience from just an art course, to all ready film makers to people who have done nothing like this before so dont worry to much about your portfolio/showreal, if its anything creative they will like it.

There isn't really a dress code but smart is always a good way to present yourself.

Yes I believe everyone who applys gets an interview, when I went there was 900 people in the interviews for just film production and then they like near it down to 180 to give offers to. But honestly dont stress about it, just be yourself, contribute ideas and most importantly listen to others (If you seem like a **** or ignorant, they wont want you).

Im in Film production in first year and there are 210 students in my course that are first years too. However these are broken up into 9 tutor groups of about 24ish. Through the first year you only really work with the people in you tutor group but there are occasions where they mix you up a bit (this is a good thing).

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else :smile:.
Marie xx
Original post by Gedz
Hi Oliver
Do you recommend the course and the uni? I have a conditional offer for Film Production for this September. Are you staying in Peel Park and if so is it any good?

Hi @Gedz

Firstly, congratulations on your conditional offer! That's brilliant! I love the course and I am sure you'll love the course too. I actually created a vlog where I talk about what film production is really like, if you are curious follow the link below!

WHAT FILM PRODUCTION IS REALLY LIKE: http://ow.ly/1SQU30iwGML

Peel Park is where I am currently living and to be honest with you I am really going to miss that room when I move out for my second year! Safe, stylish and full of great people!

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, just let me know :smile:

Reply 5
Original post by University of Salford
Hi @Gedz

Firstly, congratulations on your conditional offer! That's brilliant! I love the course and I am sure you'll love the course too. I actually created a vlog where I talk about what film production is really like, if you are curious follow the link below!

WHAT FILM PRODUCTION IS REALLY LIKE: http://ow.ly/1SQU30iwGML

Peel Park is where I am currently living and to be honest with you I am really going to miss that room when I move out for my second year! Safe, stylish and full of great people!

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, just let me know :smile:

Thank you. I think it will be my firm choice. 😃
Original post by Gedz
Thank you. I think it will be my firm choice. 😃

Mine too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending