The Student Room Group

Nottingham Vet Med - extra degree?

I was wondering how much of an advantage it was having an additional degree - BVMedSci - alongside the normal vet degree?

I know Nottingham gives you this degree after 3rd year, so when deciding between vet schools, I wondered how important this is to employers?
I don't think it is important to employers at all (as long as you are talking veterinary practice as that is what I know). The main advantage is if decide you don't in fact want to do veterinary medicine after all you can leave Nottingham after 3 years and still have a degree to your name.

Original post by GreenDucks
I was wondering how much of an advantage it was having an additional degree - BVMedSci - alongside the normal vet degree?

I know Nottingham gives you this degree after 3rd year, so when deciding between vet schools, I wondered how important this is to employers?
Reply 2
Original post by animalmagic
I don't think it is important to employers at all (as long as you are talking veterinary practice as that is what I know). The main advantage is if decide you don't in fact want to do veterinary medicine after all you can leave Nottingham after 3 years and still have a degree to your name.

That's good to know thanks! So I wouldn't be at a disadvantage unless I decided to go into something else like research?
No, definitely not disadvantaged for finding a job in practice.

Original post by GreenDucks
That's good to know thanks! So I wouldn't be at a disadvantage unless I decided to go into something else like research?
Just a note to say that the degree despite dropping out isn't necessarily specific to Nottingham. It very much depends on individual circumstances but for example RVC have given a 'Certificate of Higher Education in Pre-Clinical Veterinary Sciences' to people who drop out after second year. I think all universities would be keen to try and ensure that you get something out of your time at university despite choosing not to continue.
Reply 5
Mum of final year Nottingham vet student here. I don't think her degree will make any difference to her (apart from it was lovely having a graduation at the end of 3rd year lol and they were all very pleased with themselves). However, for those who decided a vet career wasn't for them after all, it meant they had a degree to show for their 3 years at uni. She has put it on her CV (having a first can't hurt!) and has mentioned what her research project was and what she gained from doing it. They all seemed to do very different types of research - some lab based, but others more "practical".

She's loved it there and is pleased she chose Nottingham, but quite honestly she just wanted to be a vet and wife been happy anywhere I'm sure!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending