The Student Room Group

Is it too late to drop GCSE Art

I love Art. I really do. I love drawing and painting and even doing digital art with my tablet and my laptop, but, GCSE Art is a completely different matter. I know that it’s already been 4 months since the start of GCSEs (about a term and a half) but I hope that if I express how extremely straining it is on me, to whoever I have to they might be understanding and we could work something out. My mum is going to try to talk to the head of year about this, too.I can’t do it. Simply put, I can’t do it. The whole thought of the subject of Art makes me so stressed out and at times I even breakdown and cry, all because it takes so much out of me. I’m virtually always mentally and physically exhausted, sometimes having to stay up all night to finish one single piece. This then leads to me neglecting my other subjects and not having enough time to complete the necessary work for them, and therefore I end up falling behind in those subjects too. I just don’t have the mental capacity and the drive to do this. There have been times where I know I have to do a piece for art and I start to cry and have panic attacks because I have other work to do as well and I know that I won’t have time for all of it and then I’ll inevitably fall behind again. So my question is, do you think there’s a chance that I could drop Art? Is there any point in trying? Or am I just being an idiot and being stupidly optimistic?I just really need to know and try because I feel like if I carry on like this any longer my grades will drop in my other subjects and I’ll be too far behind to do anything about it. Thanks a lot for reading and I hope you can help me on this matter.
I'm nearly done with my A2 and tbh the feeling never goes away hahah, definitely talk to someone about it and see if you can switch. If you're really determined you can definitely catch up. (I wish I switched early on hhhhhh)
Original post by greycorns
I'm nearly done with my A2 and tbh the feeling never goes away hahah, definitely talk to someone about it and see if you can switch. If you're really determined you can definitely catch up. (I wish I switched early on hhhhhh)

Believe me if I can switch, I will literally work harder than I ever have ahaha. And rlly the feeling never goes away? My younger cousin chose art too even though I expressed a lot to him that he really shouldn’t if he wanted to not be stressed out all the damn time lmao
Original post by OhNoConflict
Believe me if I can switch, I will literally work harder than I ever have ahaha. And rlly the feeling never goes away? My younger cousin chose art too even though I expressed a lot to him that he really shouldn’t if he wanted to not be stressed out all the damn time lmao

Yeeeah, unfortunately I'm more stressed than I started out in my Art A-Level and I thought that was impossible ;') It just gets harder and that's the truth of it, if you don't keep up with the workload 100% of the time it just builds up and then you get completely overwhelmed- Literally staying up rn finishing my essay that should have been done two months ago aaah
Its been years since I did GCSE art and to this day I hate it with a passion. I like art, not GCSE art. *shudders* Not for people like me
Definitely talk to someone, find out your options. Worst comes to worst, you can just refuse to hand in any coursework/sit any exams.
(edited 6 years ago)
I used to ask myself this question too everyday, coursework just killed me especially leading up to exams where I was focusing on 10 other subjects. I loved Art too (I would be doing it constantly, watching documentaries and visiting galleries in my free time) but after GCSE it just took my passion away, now that I'm going to uni though, I've started to find myself painting more often.

I'd say if it's not in your career path (architecture, fashion etc.) I wouldn't put you through that stress especially since you're saying that it's already taking a toll on you. I didn't need it for medicine and since I've got my offer I just think back to all the unnecessary things I've done, and GCSE Art is at the top, all that stress and effort could have gone to more important subjects for me personally.

There's people who whizz through Art at school, but there's some who just like it when it doesn't have the structure, pressure or deadlines.
My school had a good suggestion because they didn't want me to drop it (although this was in year 11, not year 10). Basically, they let me stay in the art room to do all my artwork at school (even staying after school to finish) so that I didn't have to do any at home. This helped because it saved a lot of time, as I could easily ask any questions to my art teacher who was always in the room. I don't know if that's possible for you.
When I left school my GCSE's could spelt FUDGE when rearranged, I well and truely messed them up I'm sure you will agree. Ultimately having bad GCSE's never really affected my education because I went to college after school anyway and studied carpentry and joinery as it required no prior education, I earned an NVQ Level 3 then went back to college and did an access course in IT now I study computer science.

My point is, you don't really need GCSE's, the government wants you to believe you do but you really don't there is always ways and means of bypassing a rule here and there, rules are meant to be broken so break them.
Original post by OhNoConflict
I love Art. I really do. I love drawing and painting and even doing digital art with my tablet and my laptop, but, GCSE Art is a completely different matter. I know that it’s already been 4 months since the start of GCSEs (about a term and a half) but I hope that if I express how extremely straining it is on me, to whoever I have to they might be understanding and we could work something out. My mum is going to try to talk to the head of year about this, too.I can’t do it. Simply put, I can’t do it. The whole thought of the subject of Art makes me so stressed out and at times I even breakdown and cry, all because it takes so much out of me. I’m virtually always mentally and physically exhausted, sometimes having to stay up all night to finish one single piece. This then leads to me neglecting my other subjects and not having enough time to complete the necessary work for them, and therefore I end up falling behind in those subjects too. I just don’t have the mental capacity and the drive to do this. There have been times where I know I have to do a piece for art and I start to cry and have panic attacks because I have other work to do as well and I know that I won’t have time for all of it and then I’ll inevitably fall behind again. So my question is, do you think there’s a chance that I could drop Art? Is there any point in trying? Or am I just being an idiot and being stupidly optimistic?I just really need to know and try because I feel like if I carry on like this any longer my grades will drop in my other subjects and I’ll be too far behind to do anything about it. Thanks a lot for reading and I hope you can help me on this matter.

hhhhhhh, i really feel the same way you do but Im in like two thirds of my way into year 10, Im really dropping behind in my triple science and the art that we do is not what Im interested in, doing ceramics and charcoals of nature? not my type. but just the thought of having to go through ALL of the art stuff just to try and get into animation school really stresses me out especially when you have a mental capacity of one corn chip. so in the beginning of 3rd term, my plans are to talk to the head of year about it. I've got questions for people who still reads this, is having 8 GCSE subjects bad? considering most of people in my school do 9 subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending