The Student Room Group

Career Development Loan for a second postgrad degree? Is it possible?

Hello, i'm currently a part time Legal Practice Course (LPC) LLM student. This course is funded by a combination of a postgraduate loan (£10k) from SF and the rest is from my own pocket. Because LPC is very practical, i would like to obtain a masters degree (LLM) in law, too, before qualifying as a solicitor. It would be party to enhance my CV but, to be frank, mostly for personal satisfaction and out of interest in the subject. Obviously i cannot use another SF Loan but i was thinking of a Career Development Loan with Coop or Barclays. Does anyone know if i can such a loan for that? I am aware that technically it would be a qualification of the same level but, equally, in the CDL eligibility criteria i have not seen a restriction that you cannot already hold a masters degree (which, for instance, is a requirement, for the SF postgrad loan). I would be grateful for any insight.
Original post by 7Anita7
Hello, i'm currently a part time Legal Practice Course (LPC) LLM student. This course is funded by a combination of a postgraduate loan (£10k) from SF and the rest is from my own pocket. Because LPC is very practical, i would like to obtain a masters degree (LLM) in law, too, before qualifying as a solicitor. It would be party to enhance my CV but, to be frank, mostly for personal satisfaction and out of interest in the subject. Obviously i cannot use another SF Loan but i was thinking of a Career Development Loan with Coop or Barclays. Does anyone know if i can such a loan for that? I am aware that technically it would be a qualification of the same level but, equally, in the CDL eligibility criteria i have not seen a restriction that you cannot already hold a masters degree (which, for instance, is a requirement, for the SF postgrad loan). I would be grateful for any insight.

Yes I believe so.

Do you already have a TC?

There is a fair bit of scepticism about the use of an LLM, but your choice and debt.

Only the Co Op have CDL now.
Reply 2
Hi, thank you for the reply. I am well aware of the scepticism (after all I’m co funding the LPC already) but i get invited to TC interviews recently so I think I will get something sooner or later. Having worked in practice for a few years, I am not that desperate to qualify asap, I’d rather do the LLM first, which is something I have always wanted to do.

if anyone else has come across a use I’d CDL for a second postgrad please let me know. :smile:

Original post by 999tigger
Yes I believe so.

Do you already have a TC?

There is a fair bit of scepticism about the use of an LLM, but your choice and debt.

Only the Co Op have CDL now.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 7Anita7
Hi, thank you for the reply. I am well of the scepticism (after all I’m co funding the LPC already) but i get invited to TC interviews recently so I think I will get something sooner or later. Having worked in practice for a few years, I am not that desperate to qualify asap, I rather do LLM first, which is something I have always wanted to do.

if anyone else has come across a use I’d CDL for a second postgrad please let me know. :smile:

Just contact them or read the terms and conditions. I checked for you and my interpretation is a no. CDLs are rarely covered here any more as they have become almost redundant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending